Accuracy problems savage ultralight 300wsm

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
As other have stated try 165s. Barnes TTSX is really accurate ammo but you probably won’t find any right now.

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
People still clean barrels? 🍿
Just a simple suggestion. You don’t do brain surgery to cure a cold. Clean the barrel then shoot your groups and see if anything changes. I keep a journal when I clean and how many rounds go through the pipe. About 25 or so the groups start loosening up. Just a cheap suggestion. Oh for me the first 2 shots after I clean don’t count.

It's been a while, any updates?

Agree with the others stating to try a different grain ammo. If all you've shot are 180's then try some 165's and some 200's and see what happens.

My guess is that it is you, not the gun. As others have said, let someone with some experience shooting hard-recoiling rifles shoot a few groups. I know you said that you have a brake on it, but that, in my experience, adds to the flinching. Shooting a braked magnum under a roof is super loud, and flinches can develop from more than just recoil.
Unless you have a lot of trigger time with similar rifles, I am going to stick to my initial comment.

In my experience if the problem is with the gun or the scope, you will not get consistent groups and they will be more in the 4-5" range, not 2". With today's manufacturing specs, you tend to get really good, or really bad. Savage, for the most part, is in the first category, but they do throw lemons every once in a while that fall into the second category.

505Wapiti

WKR
I would like to hear an update on this just out of curiosity. The OP mentioned every different round he chose was still 180’s as others have mentioned above. All of my rifles I currently have are tack drivers but didn’t start that way and it was usually different bullet weight/style that was the cure. Some folks are hell bent on shooting one thing.

Edit… forgot to mention that I have the 110 ultralight with proof barrel in 6.5 manbun and it’s a laser beam… but like I said, it didn’t start that way.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
My .270 Savage UL shoots factory barnes ttsx and lrx in the same hole at 100. Id try another shooter to confirm then maybe another scope and if not, send it back.
Have you replaced the stock on yours? Looking for affordable options

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Try a lighter bullet. Mine shot great with federal fusion ammo before I starting hand loading. It preferred the 165s over the 180s.

It's a bonded bullet, but I've never shot an elk with one, only deer.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Are you running a brake on yours?

zr600

FNG
It’s the savage ultra lite with a proof barrel correct? Possible it got a bad barrel from proof? Any updates would be great. Proof has had some issues with barrel also so that’s not impossible. Does anyone know does proof make the prefit chamber and savage installs or is savage getting proof blanks and doing the chambering on these?

Ragu

FNG
My Savage UL 300 WSM shot the Norma Bond Strike 180gr MOA group. After replacing stock/trigger, it shot Nosler Trophy grade 180gr accubond SUB MOA.

I would be trying a different scope to verify the vx5 isn’t the issue, especially with a light 300wsm

I have one in a different chambering, and it’s not picky at all

Spook1

FNG
I haven’t seen many savages that wouldn’t shoot. But I wouldn’t want to shoot that 300 wsm in the ultralight