Accuracy problems savage ultralight 300wsm

Damartin95

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I need some help. I'm leaving on a hunt for elk/mule deer in 2 months. I have a savage ultralight 300 wsm that I'm having a terrible time getting to group well. I've tried 5 or 6 brands of quality ammunition but I'm still grouping 2" + at 100 yards. I've have double checked all scope ring/mount screws, I have given the gun a thorough cleaning(down to bare metal), I have tried swapping scopes with another rifle, and I still no progress.
Im not really sure what else to do. I've got 2 months to either figure this gun out or get somthing else set up. Let me know you guys think.

Forgot to mention, I've tried shooting with muzzle break on and off just in case. I'm shooting from a solid bench of off sand bags.

It's getting to the point where part of me just wants to buy another gun(part of me always wants to do that) and be done with it. It's been an expensive and frustrating few weeks.

Check your action screw torque maybe? What ammo have you tried? What do the groups look like, example: 4 with one flyer, or all over the place?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Check your action screw torque maybe? What ammo have you tried? What do the groups look like, example: 4 with one flyer, or all over the place?

Checked the action screw tourque everything is tourqued to spec. I've tried remington premiere swift 180gr, nosler premium 180 gr, hsm burger bullet 180, and 2 others I can't remember.
It's generally 3 in a group with 2 flyers. No consistency is which shots are the flyers.

What scope and mounting system? And what's the total weight? Have you had anyone else shoot it?

300 wsm is a mule! I have exactly zero interest in an ultralight of that flavor!

What scope and mounting system? And what's the total weight? Have you had anyone else shoot it?

300 wsm is a mule! I have exactly zero interest in an ultralight of that flavor!
Leupold vx-5 with dmz grim reaper one piece Mount. Overall weight is around 7 ½lbs. I've got a good quality muzzle break on it so it really doesn't recoil too much

Just saying........
That might be the accuracy level of that gun. Factory ammo in a factory gun, that might just be as good as it gets. Its a possibility to consider. If you haven't tried it, Federal Premium seems to very forgiving and worked well in the past for us in our factory guns.

I'd recommend if able to get some handloads in it made up from someone that knows what they are doing on the reloading bench.

Other option is sending it to Unknown Munitions and have them make some handloads for you custom for that gun. Not sure how much you wanna spend to investigate.

Has anyone else shot your rifle on the bench? Did they get the same result? I ask because I have a very light 300 wsm that will jump very easily, even on the bench with bags. Sometimes I catch myself blinking when I pull the trigger, which tells me I am flinching. Have an experienced friend sit down and shoot your rifle, see if they get the same pattern you are getting.
My rifle is also very particular about the ammo. It likes Federal Fusion almost exclusively. Other brands it flings around like it’s having a tantrum.

Those guns usually shoot well. 2+ inches is unacceptable, though.

There is no substitute for confidence in your rifle.

I’ve had guns that won’t shoot…. “Had.”

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Has anyone else shot your rifle on the bench? Did they get the same result? I ask because I have a very light 300 wsm that will jump very easily, even on the bench with bags. Sometimes I catch myself blinking when I pull the trigger, which tells me I am flinching. Have an experienced friend sit down and shoot your rifle, see if they get the same pattern you are getting.
My rifle is also very particular about the ammo. It likes Federal Fusion almost exclusively. Other brands it flings around like it’s having a tantrum.
good idea, have someone else throw a couple groups down range. See if that changes anything.

As others advised, I would recommend have someone else try firing a group.

Other steps/Ideas
1) Remove the action from the stock and reset it.
2) The ultralight barrel may be heating up making a 5 round group a problem. How are the 3 shot groups?
3) One of the ways Savage makes the Ultralight so light is to use their "Accufit" stock vs their stiffer, heavier "Accustock. " I would check to make sure the barrel is staying free floated.

If you have another Savage rifle with an Accustock, try dropping it in that stock to identify the issue. (I have two Savages - 1 with each stock)
4) Adjust the trigger?

Makes sure you're holding the gun tight in the shoulder for consistent recoil. I found that any of my light rifles if held to lightly, the accuracy goes to shit including my 300wsm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't take this the wrong way, but+1 on having someone else shoot the gun. Had my wifes uncles slug gun that was "ALL OVER THE PLACE" until I shot it, then I cloverleafed three at 100 yards....

Have you tried Winchester 150 grain silvertips in the rifle yet? If not, buy you a box. Try them.

If that didn't work, I would either try reloading for the gun (but only if your going to stick with that caliber, Die costs and such)..

If those ideas above don't work I would send the gun back to savage and ask them to fix the gun.

If that doesn't work, sell that savage and buy a browning....(which is what you should have done in the first place IMHO...lolol)

• Make sure the torque on your scope rings is correct. It's easy to over torque.
  • Torque once and don't keep retorquing.
  • When shooting a light rifle, I have to hold the rifle down to avoid muzzle jump which kills groups. I put my left index finger over the furthest ring. You can also pull down on the forestock.
  • Light cheek pressure.
  • Be consistent in how you hold it with consistent touch points and pressure.
  • Wait at least a minute between shots if not more. I've waited as long as 5 minutes for the barrel to cool.
  • Thoroughly clean your rifle. Check for copper fowling.
  • Clean your rifle after each range session.
  • Are you canting the rifle when you shoot? It shouldn't show up much at 100 yrds, but it becomes more pronounced at further distance.

My .270 Savage UL shoots factory barnes ttsx and lrx in the same hole at 100. Id try another shooter to confirm then maybe another scope and if not, send it back.

Try a lighter bullet. Mine shot great with federal fusion ammo before I starting hand loading. It preferred the 165s over the 180s.

It's a bonded bullet, but I've never shot an elk with one, only deer.

Back