A one-stop shooting rest solution?

Outwest

WKR
I have been searching on the internet for a while looking for what may or may not exist.

I have a pretty solid shooting solution set up for my own rifle... arca rail, leveling base on a tripod with a clamp to direct mount.

However, I am looking for a solution for the same tripod setup to accommodate non-arca railed rifles. Whether it be a friends gun or a gun too pretty to put a rail on. My research has pointed me toward a triclawps solo or a Precision Rifle Solutions cradle. Everything I have is arca so sticking with that system or at least a 1/4-20 thread would be ideal.

Does something better exist for a "universal" rest?

mt100gr.

WKR
I have a Triclawps with an arca plate on the bottom. It works exactly like you'd expect and I mostly use it for my kids and others rifles.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Clamps, just bags, etc all work. But, they leave something to be desired. I have used and will use them if it’s what I have.

The best solution, IMO, and most flexible is to make a stable platform with a front bag. This is our solution. Ultra lightweight and versatile for shooting and glassing.

Clamps, just bags, etc all work. But, they leave something to be desired. I have used and will use them if it’s what I have.

The best solution, IMO, and most flexible is to make a stable platform with a front bag. This is our solution. Ultra lightweight and versatile for shooting and glassing.

For the person that doesn’t practice is shooting off a bag as stable as being in a Vyce or clipped to Arca/Pic?

OP
Outwest

Outwest

WKR

Looks interesting! Does the bag just rest on the plate or is there some sort of attachment there?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looks interesting! Does the bag just rest on the plate or is there some sort of attachment there?
It is attached with two strips of Velcro, in case you wanted it to double as a rear bag. Personally, I don’t pull it off though.

The comparison I make is to think of it as a portable tool like shooting off a barricade, tree stump, branch, etc.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I include a strap for your binos as well.

One buddy straps his rifle to it, and sits in a chair from his bear killing hill.

A6A6A1CD-996B-4087-B05F-B21E5ED50F63.jpegEDF9223A-367C-4F91-844F-9C9CE988BBF5.jpeg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For the person that doesn’t practice is shooting off a bag as stable as being in a Vyce or clipped to Arca/Pic?
It is not as stable as Arca/pic can be, but if you don’t practice with shooting off the tripod, it is the most intuitive.

If I loan a shooting system to a newbie, I send him with this. If I will be there and can coach him, I clip him into the tripod.

Guys shoot off of their packs, and anything else. Consider it an adjustable platform. As a platform, it will provide sufficient stability for shots out to 400 and 500 yards, IMO. My platform and bag is used by quite a few in NRL Hunter, or another brand plate and whatever bag they use for all positional shooting (but they are typically heavy.)

I have to update the website, but I think the weight is about 20 ounces or less as I run it in the mountains.

The clamp systems are not as stable as either, and some clamps don’t have any adjustment except the legs, which is weird. The clamps are a hard attachment point and recoil can often shift the rifle in the clamp. That isn’t good for repeatability or precision. They work, but not as easy or reliable.

I thought it was great when I first started and used a Triclawps and the Pig Saddle. Neither were as easy as running off a bag on some front support.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As always. Order it and see if you like it. If it isn’t for you, no questions return for Roksliders. Just make sure you PM me.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the very detailed info about the setup and the return policy!
No problem.

If you are curious but not convinced, I am always looking for someone who would buy one at a discount, just to tempt you enough to give it an honest test and in return give an honest review for other Roksliders. As always, the discount is for the time involved to give it a go and write the review. If you don't like it after you use it, you can always return it.

You could post the review in this thread so it is as transparent as possible.

If you have questions about it, especially when testing, we can talk it out in this thread so that it is preserved. Or, through PM so that you get coaching through any weirdness or learning curve.

The system isn't the solution for everyone, and I feel that is important as anything else that can come from reviews. I don't want people to buy something that isn't going to work for them. There is no perfect solution, only tradeoffs.

It is not as stable as Arca/pic can be, but if you don’t practice with shooting off the tripod, it is the most intuitive.

If I loan a shooting system to a newbie, I send him with this. If I will be there and can coach him, I clip him into the tripod.

Guys shoot off of their packs, and anything else. Consider it an adjustable platform. As a platform, it will provide sufficient stability for shots out to 400 and 500 yards, IMO. My platform and bag is used by quite a few in NRL Hunter, or another brand plate and whatever bag they use for all positional shooting (but they are typically heavy.)

I have to update the website, but I think the weight is about 20 ounces or less as I run it in the mountains.

The clamp systems are not as stable as either, and some clamps don’t have any adjustment except the legs, which is weird. The clamps are a hard attachment point and recoil can often shift the rifle in the clamp. That isn’t good for repeatability or precision. They work, but not as easy or reliable.

I thought it was great when I first started and used a Triclawps and the Pig Saddle. Neither were as easy as running off a bag on some front support.
I shoot off an Anvil-30 all the time. I’ve seen guys mention throwing a bag on top of a tripod being just as good or better than being clipped in.

I used a bog pod and besides it only having a pan head I thought it was fine out to 400ish on coyotes. The furthest I killed one off it was 430 yards.

I shot off a door the other day and was way less stable compared to clipped into the Anvil.

For a shooter that doesn't practice I assumed being in a clamp would be easier and more stable compared to just shooting off a bag. I'll have to test it out with a hunting weight rifle.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Gamechanger bag or similar. My kid killed her first animal locked into the arca rail with a tripod/anvil30. After she shot a bunch off a bag she grew to prefer it over being locked into the tripod, and killed her second buck off the bag. Quicker/easier to get on target and the recoil is way easier to manage off the bag.

I think it’s pretty key to have the balance point in front of the magwell if you have a DBM, which is a bit front heavy compared to most rifles. Not as critical if you have a blind/flush mag as far as supporting at the balance point.
IMG_2478.jpeg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I shoot off an Anvil-30 all the time. I’ve seen guys mention throwing a bag on top of a tripod being just as good or better than being clipped in.

I used a bog pod and besides it only having a pan head I thought it was fine out to 400ish on coyotes. The furthest I killed one off it was 430 yards.

I shot off a door the other day and was way less stable compared to clipped into the Anvil.

For a shooter that doesn't practice I assumed being in a clamp would be easier and more stable compared to just shooting off a bag. I'll have to test it out with a hunting weight rifle.
Same here.

There are speed and adaptability benefits with the bag over clipping in. Also, the recoil impulse changes over a soft bag, so guys used to shooting off a bag are going to like it better because it suits their pattern and practice. They have higher skill with bags that makes it better.

With ARCA and building a position, I can shoot as stable as prone. It takes an understanding of building the position, placement of the tripod, and recoil management.

Being clamped in, it isn’t as secure as the ARCA. It can pivot weird and move in recoil. I don’t like it as much as the bag. Problems with it are counterintuitive.

Granted, with a plate and bag, I am assuming some level of competence shooting with front support to say a bag is better.

If someone has no experience, whatever skill they have may lead them to believe one is better. The clamp may give them an edge in one aspect that compensates for a weakness. Just a little training and learning can eliminate the weakness very fast and make the bag better.

But, given the experience of many who say shooting off a bag thrown over a tripod, that evidences my point. Skill can mean one is better than another.

I have taught kids, in an afternoon, how to build a position and shoot off a bag over a tripod in a kneeling position and they are shooting 4 inches at 100 yards. They are faster at that than clamping their rifle in and then adjusting it.

Here are a couple videos showing tripod shooting, to demonstrate it and to prove stability. I did them for friends to show them and convince them that I wasn’t full of it, so they aren’t as instructive as they could be.

Good info. I think we are pretty close the the same opinion.

When you test the clamp, make sure and screw up your position behind the rifle, rifle cant, and the direction the legs are pointing. You’ll see that variations in that will cause a bigger group.

When you disconnect from the tripod and shoot off a bag, you eliminate the tripod from recoil issues. Imagine the tripod legs pointing sideways, so when you tip it, the rifle goes off at an angle. Recoil will follow that angle. Now, point one leg straight at the target and you will see recoil will move the gun up and down. People shoot high when clamped in or ARCA locked without recoil control.

Point a leg straight behind, and the tripod can tip to the right or left, so recoil control makes an issue both directions.

The bag eliminates issues that come from lack of knowledge. Recoil doesn’t depend on how the tripod it situated, so it is easier in that sense.

Both clamps and ARCA require some instruction. It’s not as simple as clamp in and shoot, like it is off a bag.

Consequently, there are speed and adaptability to game movement for follow up shots that bring benefits with the bag over clipping in.

Also, the recoil impulse changes over a soft bag, whether it is on a tripod or PRS barricadez of course guys used to shooting off a bag are going to like it better because it suits their pattern and practice. They have higher skill with bags that makes it better.

But, build the skill set to shoot clamped in, and there are massive stability gains for shots past 450 yards.

With ARCA and building a position, I can shoot as stable as prone. It takes an understanding of building the position, placement of the tripod, and recoil management.

Being clamped in, it isn’t as secure as the ARCA. It can pivot weird and move in recoil. I don’t like it as much as the bag. Problems with it are counterintuitive. You can make it work, but dang it is so much harder.

Granted, with any type of shooting, especially off a plate and bag, I am assuming some level of competence in shooting with front support to say a bag is better. If one knows how to build the body into a solid position, all of the systems will work. So, they might say my criticism of the clamp is too severe. But, if they switch to an ARCA clamp, there would be immediate gains in my experience.

If someone has no experience, whatever skill they have may lead them to believe one is better. The clamp may give them an edge in one aspect that compensates for a weakness. Just a little training and learning can eliminate the weakness very fast and make the bag better.

And, given the experience of many who say shooting off a bag thrown over a tripod is best, that evidences my point. Skill can mean one technique is better than another for that person. I know guys that can shoot off a bag better than I can off a ARCA tripod.

Whether the bag is thrown over or on a plate, I have taught kids, in an afternoon, how to build a position and shoot off a bag over a tripod in a kneeling position and they are shooting 4 inches at 100 yards. They are faster at learning that and shooting that than they are clamping their rifle in and then adjusting it. They often can’t adjust it themselves.

Here are a couple videos showing tripod shooting from ARCA clamped shots, to demonstrate it and to prove stability. I did them for friends to show them and convince them that I wasn’t full of it, so they aren’t as instructive as they could be.

Cold bore confidence

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Gamechanger bag or similar. My kid killed her first animal locked into the arca rail with a tripod/anvil30. After she shot a bunch off a bag she grew to prefer it over being locked into the tripod, and killed her second buck off the bag. Quicker/easier to get on target and the recoil is way easier to manage off the bag.

I think it’s pretty key to have the balance point in front of the magwell if you have a DBM, which is a bit front heavy compared to most rifles. Not as critical if you have a blind/flush mag as far as supporting at the balance point.
View attachment 641746
100% agree. Recoil control is more natural off a bag. Aiming is easier for a small body to control the rifle on a bag rather than have to reach to lock it in. It takes more learning to shoot locked in.

When shooting off a bag is easier and kills stuff, why mess with it?

Look at that position, square behind the rifle, trigger finger at 90, thumb in neutral, shoulders forward.

That little lady has some good training!

Lawnboi

WKR

A bag/plate can be as stable, but it requires the right bag, and the right plate. My schmedium sand game changer on an aluminum plate secured to my tripod would be my preferred if stability is the concern. This gives me the same stability as directly attached, with the added benefit of making small and gross movements without implying torque or having to mess with a lever. It also benefits from much better recoil control. That bag is also 9 pounds and the plate is another. From seated or kneeling I can make my wobble less than a tenth with a hunting weight rifle.

Now compare that to about any lightweight plate/bag combo that I have tried, becoming stable takes much more technique.

That said it can become very easy to create some torque on a direct attachment system as well.

That tripod is just a tool in the tool box, I’d much rather slap my git lite schmedium on a log or rock any day over needing to deploy my tripod.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A bag/plate can be as stable, but it requires the right bag, and the right plate. My schmedium sand game changer on an aluminum plate secured to my tripod would be my preferred if stability is the concern. This gives me the same stability as directly attached, with the added benefit of making small and gross movements without implying torque or having to mess with a lever. It also benefits from much better recoil control. That bag is also 9 pounds and the plate is another. From seated or kneeling I can make my wobble less than a tenth with a hunting weight rifle.

Now compare that to about any lightweight plate/bag combo that I have tried, becoming stable takes much more technique.

That said it can become very easy to create some torque on a direct attachment system as well.

That tripod is just a tool in the tool box, I’d much rather slap my git lite schmedium on a log or rock any day over needing to deploy my tripod.
For context, give people that aren’t aware, what distances you’re comfortable shooting like that.

Lawnboi

WKR
For context, give people that aren’t aware, what distances you’re comfortable shooting like that.

A kneeling or seated position with a good bag off a tripod or preferably a rock or log, in known conditions, I have zero concern shooting at 400 yards on an animal. My wobble zone is next to nothing if I can get in a spot where I can support my trigger arm with my knee.

To provide some context I’m also not even considering a shot over 500 yards on a big game animal.

Of course I have hit targets much further. Last nrl hunter match I shot, If the md didnt provide natural feature to shoot off, and the shot wasn’t prone, my second choice was the bag and plate on the tripod.