A nation of wimps?

fwafwow

WKR
That also couldn’t be helped along by the fact that we haven’t fought a war in 70 years. Everything after the 50s has just been endless fights where the only people that “won” owned Raytheon, Lockheed or Halliburton?
There are enough candidates with this bent - in both parties - that we are assured this will continue.

Yoder

WKR
It's way more than just being wimps. That can be debated one way or the other. A couple obvious things. Obesity is through the roof. That can't be debated. Our food and food choices are killing us. Next people don't want to work anymore. I've never seen so many companies that just can't find people to show up and do their job. I think a lot of this stems from all of us loser parents letting our adult children live at home until they are 30. They are "too good" to work a low paying job. I'm in this group, mine is 23. I need to grow a set and have a huge fight with my wife to kick his ass out.

I said generations, not individuals. You need to learn more history, and indeed get out more and see the world beyond the posh and privileged existence of most Americans.

In general, a person who has to tell others they are not soft is lacking the depth of experience to truly be hard.

The industrial revolution was way before 1940 and everything about that made people's lives easier up to the present day. So if you want to spout off about lacking depth of experience, you fit right in to that category as well.

If you did a poor job of communicating that, just man up and say so...

Depends on who you are and where you are I suppose. Some pretty tough men and women outside right now feeding and bedding cows. -53 at my house yesterday morning. -74 15 miles away in the foot hills. We don’t have ac and it’ll be 100+ for a few weeks in the summer. We do have propane heat thankfully, was outside at 7:45 two nights ago trying to thaw the propane tank regulator.

I’m not tough, but don’t think I’m a wimp. Know some tough people though. I do think their are some pansies in some areas and every crowd.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
As the saying goes....
"Easy times make soft men. Soft men make hard times. Hard times make hard men. Hard men make easy times." It's all a cycle.

I like it that we're in a sissified period. It's opportunity to me.

It makes it that much easier to outperform other people.

When we see "hunters" needing brakes to ease recoil, silencers so they don't hurt their ears, and posts discussing the most comfortable underwear... well...

I have also seen posts on "grooming" and scratchy base layers.

We are doomed.
I'll take a silencer every day of the week. Hearing is something that can't be replaced and can keep you alive. This is coming from 10 years of working with mortars. That was mostly before the new hearing protection in the military. All we had were some pieces of foam, and only wore one to be sure you heard the fire command correctly. Now when patients say I'm hard of hearing I get to tell them so am I. So you need to speak up little old lady.
I would wager there are a lot of 25 year olds who have never seen a W2 in this age.
Or they are smarter and not paying taxes on the cash they make.
All them Boomers said my generation was soft to.
But when It came time to un alive terrorists we stepped up real quick and did our duty.

Sure there is alot of soft shit and soft people and soft news reports.

But I also believe there is always alot of Lions ready to go to work when needed.

We just are not concerned with the softies or interested in squabbling about it.
The real difference is when the military decides they want doers and not perfect garrison show pieces. The dog and pony show just brings people down. It was amazing to me the day after 9/11 how many people I was serving with said they didn't sign up to go to fight, just college money. Yet they joined a Special Operations unit whose entire mission was to make a hole for follow on units to come into, and create havoc with the the enemy.
Absolutely we are. Next time you are out in public, just look at everyone. Young men are particularly disturbing. Fat, doughy, androgynous looking. Shoulders slumped, shuffle around behind their fat girlfriends like whipped dogs. Not all, but most. There are still always a bunch of studs at the gym, so that gives me hope. Just try to keep a little David Goggins in your life and you'll set an example for the younger guys. Tomorrow I'm going to see how far I can hike with my 50lb pack. I hope my dog makes it.
A gym stud doesn't mean you are hard. Just means you lift a lot of weight and look good for the insta. Most hard people I know would be considered fat and out of shape. How many gym rats can toss hay bails all day, then go out and drink. How many can actually stand out in negative degree weather and build trains all day long. Hard is mental not a physical attribute.
There is not much killing going on rite now for US troops.

Who wants to sit in Garrison and watch butter bars present power points & do stupid ass details?

Not the bad asses that want to murder people legally.

Give us some mother truckers to shoot in the face.

The fact you don't know how terrible the military is when idle tells me you never served.
One reason I got out, it was that way even before modern conflicts. Sat in a briefing and had a CSM tell a butter bar to get rid of animated death by powerpoint and get to the point.
The same old drone that has been going on since man figured out how to communicate. The only good generation is the one you belong and back. Everyone past there just ***** every thing up. Don’t worry, your parents said the same thing about you.

Turn shit off and look around. The tough ones aren’t complaining, they go about their lives and don’t say a word. If all you pay attention to is the ones that complain, then yea it looks bad.

This reminds me of my wives grandparents. It’s all MSNBC fault says the 24 hour FOX channel.

I have a pretty solid pain tolerance but I don’t go around pounding nails in my hand to prove it.

We owe the greatest generation a debt that never can be repaid. They did what they did because they had to. They rose to the occasion. We haven’t been tested like that since and I hope me or my kids never have to do that again.

I couldn’t imagine my life being so meaningless that I think we need to get rid of modern conveniences because it has made people “soft.”
Yet, times were easy just before. The roaring '30s come to mind.
It's way more than just being wimps. That can be debated one way or the other. A couple obvious things. Obesity is through the roof. That can't be debated. Our food and food choices are killing us. Next people don't want to work anymore. I've never seen so many companies that just can't find people to show up and do their job. I think a lot of this stems from all of us loser parents letting our adult children live at home until they are 30. They are "too good" to work a low paying job. I'm in this group, mine is 23. I need to grow a set and have a huge fight with my wife to kick his ass out.
The food chain is defiantly broken and pumped full of shit for cheaper production and max profit. We have been pretty good about healthy food. This year I am working towards completely local and clean food. Not that it really matters when we have so many chemicals floating around that we ingest daily. But that is also the last generations making. They should have stood up and said no. But you only know what you know at the time and convince always seems like a good idea.

Personally I think if you are bitching about the newest generations being weak and pansies, then do something about it. Take one of them and mentor them to do hard things, learn things that no one has showed them. Give them the reason why things were done the way they were, so they can make educated decisions about things that affect them now and in the future. Don't just bitch and not do anything about it.

CorbLand

WKR
I'll take a silencer every day of the week. Hearing is something that can't be replaced and can keep you alive. This is coming from 10 years of working with mortars. That was mostly before the new hearing protection in the military. All we had were some pieces of foam, and only wore one to be sure you heard the fire command correctly. Now when patients say I'm hard of hearing I get to tell them so am I. So you need to speak up little old lady.

Or they are smarter and not paying taxes on the cash they make.

The real difference is when the military decides they want doers and not perfect garrison show pieces. The dog and pony show just brings people down. It was amazing to me the day after 9/11 how many people I was serving with said they didn't sign up to go to fight, just college money. Yet they joined a Special Operations unit whose entire mission was to make a hole for follow on units to come into, and create havoc with the the enemy.

A gym stud doesn't mean you are hard. Just means you lift a lot of weight and look good for the insta. Most hard people I know would be considered fat and out of shape. How many gym rats can toss hay bails all day, then go out and drink. How many can actually stand out in negative degree weather and build trains all day long. Hard is mental not a physical attribute.

One reason I got out, it was that way even before modern conflicts. Sat in a briefing and had a CSM tell a butter bar to get rid of animated death by powerpoint and get to the point.

Yet, times were easy just before. The roaring '30s come to mind.

The food chain is defiantly broken and pumped full of shit for cheaper production and max profit. We have been pretty good about healthy food. This year I am working towards completely local and clean food. Not that it really matters when we have so many chemicals floating around that we ingest daily. But that is also the last generations making. They should have stood up and said no. But you only know what you know at the time and convince always seems like a good idea.

Personally I think if you are bitching about the newest generations being weak and pansies, then do something about it. Take one of them and mentor them to do hard things, learn things that no one has showed them. Give them the reason why things were done the way they were, so they can make educated decisions about things that affect them now and in the future. Don't just bitch and not do anything about it.
Not sure if your trying to be sarcastic or what. If sarcasm, it’s over my head. If not, that would be the roaring 20s. The 30s sucked.

If you are saying that people in the 30s were hard men…don’t forget the number that killed themselves, ran leaving their families or spent every penny they could scrounge drinking…not exactly what I would call hard men.

Last edited:
Not sure if your trying to be sarcastic or what. If sarcasm, it’s over my head. If not, that would be the roaring 20s. The 30s sucked.

If you are saying that people in the 30s were hard men…don’t forget the number that killed themselves, ran leaving their families or spent every penny they could scrounge drinking…not exactly what I would call hard men.
Was an mis type was suppose to be 20's.