A more nomadic life?

wesfromky

WKR
Hey, I know most of the people here are more settled, with a house, family, and a traditional job. Just wondering if there are any of you that are full time remote or maybe retired that live a more nomadic lifestyle. Follow seasons/species around the country, maybe fishing when there isn't much in season to hunt.

I have been full time remote for a few years, and am looking really hard at buying a small rv and doing the nomadic hunter/fisher/gatherer thing for a couple years. Would not be doing much in the way of western big game or backcountry hunting, more like midwest/southeast public land closer to the road hunting. Whitetail, turkey, pigs, small game, etc that have reasonable priced otc tags.

If you are doing something like this, would love to hear about your setup, scheduling, and storing meat.

CRJR45

WKR
Hey, I know most of the people here are more settled, with a house, family, and a traditional job. Just wondering if there are any of you that are full time remote or maybe retired that live a more nomadic lifestyle. Follow seasons/species around the country, maybe fishing when there isn't much in season to hunt.

I have been full time remote for a few years, and am looking really hard at buying a small rv and doing the nomadic hunter/fisher/gatherer thing for a couple years. Would not be doing much in the way of western big game or backcountry hunting, more like midwest/southeast public land closer to the road hunting. Whitetail, turkey, pigs, small game, etc that have reasonable priced otc tags.

If you are doing something like this, would love to hear about your setup, scheduling, and storing meat.
We did it for three years . I fished the FLW Rayovac series and several smaller venues . It was a blast at first , then got old . NY , VT , then down the east coast , then out west . We stayed in Meeker Co for three months , loved it .
The pros
New sights and people , we met the nicest people in RV parks .
Cons
Every city is a learning experience , where to shop for food , laundry mat , ECT .
We ended up doing whats called WorkCamping - working for the park and staying for free .
Check it out on FB WorkKampers , you can plan ahead .
I had a Duromax / Fifth Wheel / and the boat on the back of the fifth wheel . 74 feet long .

2014-04-12 11.46.52.JPG

Loper

WKR
The full time wanderer type of lifestyle has always intrigued me.

When you say you’ve been full time remote for a few years, are you talking about your day job?

Out of curiosity (don’t answer if you aren’t comfortable sharing) what’s your current situation? Young/old, single/married/divorced, kids/no kids, etc.

mapticon

FNG
I work remotely and hit the road last Jan. Spent the majority of 2023 in Mexico and missed Deer/Elk season in MT. That's not happening this year. I'm currently in S. Colorado and will make my way back to MT in April for Spring Turkey.

I looked at doing an RV, but the cost of rig + trailer that I would be comfortable in just didn't pencil out for me. And f'ing around with internet in remote areas seemed like a headache I'd have to constantly address. Been doing AirBnB and short term rentals and aim to continue. I haven't cleaned a toilet in over a year! Not cheap either way you choose to be nomad in the US. Of course nothing is affordable these days either.

I've had a blast rambling around this last year and aim to continue.

OP
W

wesfromky

WKR
The full time wanderer type of lifestyle has always intrigued me.

When you say you’ve been full time remote for a few years, are you talking about your day job?

Out of curiosity (don’t answer if you aren’t comfortable sharing) what’s your current situation? Young/old, single/married/divorced, kids/no kids, etc.
When I was younger, I lived the dirtbag climber lifestyle for a few years. Mostly out of a tent or couch/floor. It was a pretty amazing life, though not without drawbacks. My day job is fully remote, which gives me a lot of flexibility that I want to take advantage of now.

Oldish(53). Kinda broken (unable to do the cool backcountry or big packout stuff) Single. No Kids. One dog.

Tod osier

WKR

I've done several trips that were several months long and hunted or fished while doing it. Dealing with meat is the biggest challenge. I've stored meat or fish in freezers (someone else's or mine stored and picked up later), but that isn't cheap or easy. That is what would give your plan pause for me.

OP
W

wesfromky

WKR
I work remotely and hit the road last Jan. Spent the majority of 2023 in Mexico and missed Deer/Elk season in MT. That's not happening this year. I'm currently in S. Colorado and will make my way back to MT in April for Spring Turkey.

I looked at doing an RV, but the cost of rig + trailer that I would be comfortable in just didn't pencil out for me. And f'ing around with internet in remote areas seemed like a headache I'd have to constantly address. Been doing AirBnB and short term rentals and aim to continue. I haven't cleaned a toilet in over a year! Not cheap either way you choose to be nomad in the US. Of course nothing is affordable these days either.

I've had a blast rambling around this last year and aim to continue.
I have thought about doing it this way with short term rentals / air b&b /etc. But it is pretty expensive. I have done months at a time out of a 4 door sentra and a tent. Currently living in a sub 300sq ft place. So, planning on small RV that I can tow with my frontier.

CRJR45

WKR
I've done several trips that were several months long and hunted or fished while doing it. Dealing with meat is the biggest challenge. I've stored meat or fish in freezers (someone else's or mine stored and picked up later), but that isn't cheap or easy. That is what would give your plan pause for me.
I had a small chest freezer in my fifth wheel .

OP
W

wesfromky

WKR
Yeah, that is a big issue to overcome for sure. I have been looking at 9v freezers powered by enough battery and solar. Not cheap, but the freezers are fairly efficient, though smallish. Otherwise, jerky/pemmican, and maybe jumping into canning. But, will have fairly limited space, so not sure yet. Maybe return to KY every so often to fill up a freezer?

CRJR45

WKR
I have thought about doing it this way with short term rentals / air b&b /etc. But it is pretty expensive. I have done months at a time out of a 4 door sentra and a tent. Currently living in a sub 300sq ft place. So, planning on small RV that I can tow with my frontier.
RV parks can go from $1000 a month up to crazy amounts , it's not cheap . Out west , in Texas you can stay at Army Corp of Engineers places cheap , but it's just a field with no shade , usually .

OP
W

wesfromky

WKR
We did it for three years . I fished the FLW Rayovac series and several smaller venues . It was a blast at first , then got old . NY , VT , then down the east coast , then out west . We stayed in Meeker Co for three months , loved it .
The pros
New sights and people , we met the nicest people in RV parks .
Cons
Every city is a learning experience , where to shop for food , laundry mat , ECT .
We ended up doing whats called WorkCamping - working for the park and staying for free .
Check it out on FB WorkKampers , you can plan ahead .
I had a Duromax / Fifth Wheel / and the boat on the back of the fifth wheel . 74 feet long .

View attachment 676578
That is a pretty crazy setup! I will most likely have a frontier and a 16 foot rv. Have done some extended traveling, so have a bit of experience with the downsides.

OP
W

wesfromky

WKR
RV parks can go from $1000 a month up to crazy amounts , it's not cheap . Out west , in Texas you can stay at Army Corp of Engineers places cheap , but it's just a field with no shade , usually .
Yeah, not planning on staying at parks too much - have a good place in KY to park for fall, and will be building up my battery and solar setup to be able to off grid most of the time or stay at cheaper, no hookups type campgrounds. Plus, I have a dog, so that does make the air b&b stuff a bit harder and usually more expensive.

CRJR45

WKR
That is a pretty crazy setup! I will most likely have a frontier and a 16 foot rv. Have done some extended traveling, so have a bit of experience with the downsides.
That is how it starts , but you would quickly get tired of such a small unit , I'm thinking . My friend started out with a Jeep and a RPod RV , then moved up . RV's lose their value faster than anything other than diamonds and carpet , so you might be better getting a real truck and a bigger unit . Not knocking your Frontier , but it is limited on what you can pull , just saying . Might be better to get a Class A motorhome and pull the Frontier ???

You ever get lonesome?

jj2.jpg

TaperPin

WKR
There are a lot of trades with guys who move with the work - electricians, welders, anyone working on vacation homes, anyone working on booming oil towns, etc.

Tons of retired or semi retired guys who love to hunt, shoot and fish.

Tons of guys tired of eating everything they shoot - make friends and trade (anyone from Alaska is tired of eating halibut)

Most camp trailers are not designed for continuous use and the roofs rot out from the inside.

A freaky hippy chick with an only fans is apparently a good mobile business.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
GF is a travel nurse now, we started 1.5 years ago. I work fully remote and have for 3 years. I dont recommend the RV, we use furnished finder. Have spent 6 months in Utah & a few in Idaho a month in MT. She has gotten a couple month off to just hang out which she loves.

Hunting & fishing is tougher due to NR costs, tax season is intimidating. I've hiked & sight seen and made more friends that I actually like to meet then I ever would have back home!

Wfh get's boring and I am working tech sales during a recession, not the most stable fields. career development (promotions) have been non-existent which I am sure would be different if I was in an office. Rent is high, but I do well for myself.

I listen to lots of podcasts while working RokCast, Cal's Weekly, Hunt Quietly, Joe (oc), Mindful Reviews. Play lots of video games while its wintery & she is working. 6EEFD16E-3CEB-491F-AA2A-2D6AC6CF6FD9.jpeg901065EE-9B06-4BA6-8C45-CAF02322C7E8.jpeg7144475E-CF3E-4EAD-912A-F9C322152465.jpeg

BF8D87D6-F399-4A49-92F1-32BFE2B2973D.jpegE4D04C9C-7C13-4941-8DBB-3808A78AE773.jpeg4FC396E0-FFCD-4F11-B82A-65522FE1C899.jpeg

OP
W

wesfromky

WKR
That is how it starts , but you would quickly get tired of such a small unit , I'm thinking . My friend started out with a Jeep and a RPod RV , then moved up . RV's lose their value faster than anything other than diamonds and carpet , so you might be better getting a real truck and a bigger unit . Not knocking your Frontier , but it is limited on what you can pull , just saying . Might be better to get a Class A motorhome and pull the Frontier ???
During my climbing days, I lived for weeks to months out of a small car and a tent. Current living space is under 300sq ft, and I had previously lived here with my (ex) wife and four dogs. I can live pretty minimally. But, all that said, I have thought about a class C or C+. And the RV I am leaning towards is a fiberglass egg, so they tend to weight quite a bit less.