Mid life crisis career change… Remote jobs?

I just hit 12 years with the Fire Department. I make good money (120k with about 175 hrs of OT last year.) Good money, not great in the Biden economy, but enough we’re comfortable with my wife’s salary (90k) and the extra I get from the NG.

I like what I do, but I don’t love it anymore. When I got hired I felt like I hit the lottery, but I don’t feel that way anymore. As a firefighter/paramedic I spend most of my time on a medic transport vehicle taking 15-20 runs a day, and dealing with the dregs of society is getting really old. Tons of homeless and an administration that won’t do anything to address the abuse of the EMS system. Getting off the medic is still many years away for me… Promotion is an option but that’s sort of like hitting the reset button with seniority. Plus watching who is getting hired these days I don’t feel like babysitting most of these folks.

At 15 years, I’ll be vested, which means 30% of my pay at age 48. 25 years would be a full retirement and 60%, going up from there if I stick around longer, to include doing the DROP program which is a huge chunk of money.

Someone recently said that pensions are modern day indentured servitude and being in a pension system I tend to agree. I feel trapped by it. It’s too good to leave but not good enough to stay.

To top it off, my wife and I have decided we really don’t like central Ohio. Columbus is a liberal hell hole that gets worse by the day. I find it soul sucking… It’s like a constantly growing amoeba that turns everything around it into suburban hell. We live in a rural area about an hr away. It’s nice, for now, but we have a massive intel chip factory getting built right down the road and we know it won’t be long until the city gobbles up everything around us and the Silicon Valley types move and bring their politics with them.

We would both love to move. Wyoming probably tops our list, followed by Idaho or Montana. My wife is already remote doing corporate retail so the only thing holding us back is my career. We love the outdoors, and there just isn’t a lot of outdoor activity here. Sure a few lakes, and Wayne NF is about an hr and a half away, but this is mostly private farmland. Great deer hunting, but not exactly a ton of places to hike around an explore, camp, backpack, etc. Not to mention western hunting is my passion and that is becoming harder to do every year as a non resident.

I’ve come to the conclusion that 3 years would be about the perfect time to move if we’re gonna do it. Vested in the pension, my son will be 6, so just starting grade school. If I wait to 25, he will be starting high school, which is much harder.

Financially I’d probably take a hit especially with regards to retirement, but I’ve learned that money isn’t everything. Life is too short to live somewhere you hate.

A little background on my resume… I’ve got a BSBA in management from a well respected university. I spent four years as a Tank Officer in the USMC Reserve. I went to Army Flight School after that and currently fly UH-60s part time. I kept my commission for a while and was a Company Commander for 3 years, but recently reverted to being a Warrant, mainly to have a better lifestyle for my family. I’ll probably attend the Aviation Safety Officer course in the next year or so which will pad the resume a bit.

So I’ve got a unique background to say the least. If anything, I think it’s pretty clear I’m trainable and capable.

I considered the airlines a bit due to the pilot shortage… I love flying and it’s something that has come very naturally to me, and the income potential there is huge long term, but I’m very hesitant to make that leap. I’d have to go get my commercial multi, take a pay cut for a few years, build time at the regionals, and even if I did make it to a major I’d always be tied to a big city even if I commuted. Bottom line, it’s just not a lifestyle I want with a family, and there aren’t a lot of domiciles in WY/MT/ID.

I’ve also considered PA school, but again going back to school full time with a young family seems like a terrible idea.

I’ve got a former NCO/crew chief who is fully remote with Raytheon and loves it. He’s at about 90k but can work literally from anywhere. 9-5, flexible schedule. I never thought I’d want to drive a desk but at this point in my life at age 36 I’m over doing the sexy stuff. I’m not sure how well my resume would translate to something like this but I’m very tempted… I feel like I need to start building my linked in profile, put my resume out there in another year or so and see what bites. In the mean time, I have a job, so no harm no foul if nothing works out. I’d probably take a pay cut, and I’d certainly have to work longer until retirement, but I feel like the flexibility would be worth it.

Putting this out there to rokslide for perspective… I’d love some input from an outside viewpoint. Is it doable to find a remote job with a decent salary given my resume? Have a lost my mind to consider walking away from the pension and a secure job to move and start a new career?

OP
B
I think if you are currently just “comfortable” with 210k + a year; it’s going to be very tough to both move and find employment that leaves you in the same position.
That’s a very fair point.

That said a good portion of my paycheck goes into the pension, so my take home is a lot less than one would think at 120k.

We also have significant childcare expenses with right now that would be going away in the next few years.

That’s a very fair point.

That said a good portion of my paycheck goes into the pension, so my take home is a lot less than one would think at 120k.

We also have significant childcare expenses with right now that would be going away in the next few years.
Copy. Just something to consider. When we talk about moving I really try to play with how far my money goes in other places and if comparable jobs pay the same. Most of the time it’s just kind of a wash, best of luck to you! I’ve started to get more interested in remote work as well.

Do it!
I have 4-5 years and ill get 40% of pay after 20 years,still isn’t much but a few grand a month,kicker is i have to wait till 62 to draw,i plan to leave at 52.I have a hs diploma but im ready to work for myself.
We have set it up were we are debt free so i dont have to make as much.I have a good job but im tired of the bs.
We would love to stay in mexico 3 months a year as well so finding my wife something remote is a goal and shouldn’t be difficult as we will both be able to take a pay cut by then.I know the feeling on being trapped and im staying till our 3rd (last) child graduates.
You can do it,you obviously are not lazy.You only live once!

jayhawk

WKR
There are a lot of opportunities out there in aviation. Helicopters, drones, private, local, etc. (I know you'd have to get re-qualified for some of those things). I knew a guy who flew local from Denver to the regionals around Colorado and picked up some instructor classes on the weekend. He seemed to do well financially and was never too late getting home for dinner.

I would start by reaching out to some people you know (like your NCO buddy) and get a solid direction on where you want your career to go. Also, try and figure out if your priority is moving to a new place or getting a new job. This will help make your decision for you.

S.Clancy

WKR
I don't think becoming a PA is going to remove you from the dregs of society.....And if you transfer out west, you will either be in a similarly sized and "dreggy" area, or making less money. There is a number of sacrifices for living out west, money is usually top of the list. My GF and I are both engineers and we make like ~150-160K together. If we moved to the west coast, that would go up prob to 220-250K, depending where we worked.

EdP

WKR
How about going to life flight? Is that an option? Get qualified on someone else's dime and move in 3 yrs. You should be dumping money into a ROTH IRA too. Looks like it might be a bit of a pay cut if no OT, but with OT maybe about the same.

At 36, this is the time to career hop if you can. What could be available with your flight experience other than commercial? That may be a way to get a remote gig somewhere, like contract services...

OP
B
There are a lot of opportunities out there in aviation. Helicopters, drones, private, local, etc. (I know you'd have to get re-qualified for some of those things). I knew a guy who flew local from Denver to the regionals around Colorado and picked up some instructor classes on the weekend. He seemed to do well financially and was never too late getting home for dinner.

I would start by reaching out to some people you know (like your NCO buddy) and get a solid direction on where you want your career to go. Also, try and figure out if your priority is moving to a new place or getting a new job. This will help make your decision for you.
All true.

Helicopter EMS is an option. Pay isn’t as good as the airlines, but it’s easier to live rurally.

Might be tough to get a job out west for me though, I don’t have high altitude flying experience and my hr level is lower than what they typically want. I could probably get an EMS flying job in Ohio but that’s because of networking.

OP
B
I don't think becoming a PA is going to remove you from the dregs of society.....And if you transfer out west, you will either be in a similarly sized and "dreggy" area, or making less money. There is a number of sacrifices for living out west, money is usually top of the list. My GF and I are both engineers and we make like ~150-160K together. If we moved to the west coast, that would go up prob to 220-250K, depending where we worked.
Trust me, that’s why PA was quickly nixed as an idea. I’d be dealing with similar bullshit as I do now and possibly for less pay depending on where I live.

gbflyer

WKR
I don’t have much advice other than with your resume you won’t have any problems finding work wherever you land. You could start work tomorrow here in Alaska. Just remember life is still
just life wherever it is.

S.Clancy

WKR
All true.

Helicopter EMS is an option. Pay isn’t as good as the airlines, but it’s easier to live rurally.

Might be tough to get a job out west for me though, I don’t have high altitude flying experience and my hr level is lower than what they typically want. I could probably get an EMS flying job in Ohio but that’s because of networking.
I would do the bolded above, that will help greatly if you are already in it and are heading out here.

EMS for 30 years here. 24 with same company so I completely understand being stuck due to pension. I think you're on the right track by waiting 3 years. If you fly the UH-60's - what's the chances of being paid to fly helicopters in the private sector? Medevac, Forest Service, etc.... Another thing to look at if by chance you do decide on school instead of PA is becoming a Perfusionist. You have BS degree, plus EMT-P and it seems like perfusion is up our alley. Remote - I wonder if there's a QA/QI program that hires, or something along those lines. Good luck to ya!

backcountrybutcher

Lil-Rokslider
Send it! You will absolutely regret not doing what you want to do with your life. what's the quote..."The unexamined life is not worth living"... in the same way if you are living with the golden handcuffs, this is no way to live either. I had been thinking about this for a while and finally made the tough choice to move my family (wife and kids 7,5,2 ) and start a new life where we want to be. Its been 7 months and have absolutely no regrets.

eamyrick

WKR
I understand where you are at. In May I’m 15 years into a 23 year pension. Too far in for me but have thought monthly about leaving for the last 4 years. At 23 it will be gravy but you definitely feel trapped. Also 15% of pay goes into a pension which isn’t really your money since you can’t pull it out and choose how to invest when you retire. It would be very hard for me to recommend anyone going into public service in a large liberal city. Things were way different 15 years ago.

OP
B
I understand where you are at. In May I’m 15 years into a 23 year pension. Too far in for me but have thought monthly about leaving for the last 4 years. At 23 it will be gravy but you definitely feel trapped. Also 15% of pay goes into a pension which isn’t really your money since you can’t pull it out and choose how to invest when you retire. It would be very hard for me to recommend anyone going into public service in a large liberal city. Things were way different 15 years ago.
Yup you get it.

Like I said the 120k on paper is significantly less in reality thanks to the pension pickup.

My wife’s paychecks at 90k are about 300-400 more than mine.

eamyrick

WKR
Yup you get it.

Like I said the 120k on paper is significantly less in reality thanks to the pension pickup.

My wife’s paychecks at 90k are about 300-400 more than mine.
Being able to draw at 48 if you do 15 isn’t bad. In our system if you do less than 20 you are waiting until 60 or so until you start drawing. Occasionally guys get jammed up at 18-19 years and have to leave and it’s painful to think about the 15 or so years they miss being able to draw.

And we are 2.3 at 23 years. No way I’d stay around in a job you don’t like for 60% at 25.

I know this isn’t in line with anything you’ve mentioned so far but I don’t know of any other job that has more freedom or ability to make 300-400k than an IBEW journeyman lineman.

You’d need to complete a 4yr apprenticeship, which you’ll be getting paid to do, and there’s a couple ways to go about that. Once you become journeyman you can go work through any union hall in the country with that ticket. Or you can find a utility close to home and retire there if you like.

I’ve never made 300k+ but I’ve also never worked more than about 5 1/2 months a year since I’ve started doing this. I don’t work during hunting season anymore and I don’t think I ever will again. And I choose when I want to take vacation during the months that I’m actually working.

There are local halls on the east coast that put 40+% of your earnings into your retirement without you adding a dime to it.

You can PM me if you’re interested to talk anymore about it.