A little lost… career change?

I don’t see why you view your current engineering field as a dead end? I am sure if you looked there would be many different job opportunities available, may take a certificate, get your PE, or go start your own business, work for a NGO endless opportunities you can be in control of.

If you have not worked in a Government type job (fireman, police, military etc) then you have not had to deal with layers of Bureaucracy and internal politics, tight budgets, And endless Equity Diversity Inclusion training etc. it’s a life suck for sure not to mention 40% less pay and no flexibility….

If you have not worked in a Government type job (fireman, police, military etc) then you have not had to deal with layers of Bureaucracy and internal politics, tight budgets, And endless Equity Diversity Inclusion training etc. it’s a life suck for sure not to mention 40% less pay and no flexibility….
Yeah, but think about all of those days off

1719969581236.jpeg

BigNate

WKR
I quit doing a job I enjoyed because it was about to cost me a marriage. My py dropped about 30-35%, being home was good but we had to adjust to the big pay drop.

Single is easy to make a change like this, married is harder, family man even harder.
HOWEVER, you have to find out why you are actually unhappy. It doesn't sound like your work is the problem to me. You need to explore the possibilities of serving others in a gratifying way. There are all kinds of things you can do.

IMHO, you get your new career buttoned down, you'll find it boring and unsatisfying.

TaperPin

WKR
I can point to dozens of guys who weren’t happy where they were, moved, and still aren’t happy, but make less money.

Our oldest son is going through this - I remind him it’s a first world issue, grow up, do something stable because the world is a hard place. Who ever started this trend of doing only something that sounds fun is doing an entire generation a disservice. He’s so soft, the slightest issue at work is the end of the world. As hard as all his relatives bust their asses on both sides, lord only knows how a well paying cushy job seems like a hassle to him. Spoiled and entitled.

CDS8034

FNG
If it is in your head that you are not happy, make the change. That thought isn’t going to leave your head until you do. You only live once. There is more to life than work. It may take some sacrifices but you will figure out the financial end of things. Best of luck to you, in whatever you decide.

TaperPin

WKR
I’d also encourage you to investigate this fallacy further that police or fire or whatever is full of fulfillment. Look at any rookie class and pay attention to those that don’t make it, or only last a year. Each department has it’s own politics, culture, and list of pricks, not all of which are holding hands singing cumbiyah. From the paramedics, firefighters, and cops in our family, they would all say you don’t really want to do this work, or you already would have. Anyone with a long list of potential jobs isn’t wanted in a gung ho department - they want guys who have always wanted to do it as their first choice.

Loper

WKR
Always done what I'm passionate about, agriculture and conservation. However, have you considered doing volunteer or part-time work to help fulfill the satisfaction gap? Volunteer firefighter or EMT, Boys and Girls Club, Habitat for Humanity, etc.

I sit on a local chapter board (NWTF) and its extremely fulfilling. We do a lot of stuff for the kids as well as local and national hunters. Start there, or similar.

I would agree with these statements and suggest volunteering in something you are either very interested in or something you want o learn about. You never know what might happen. You may become fulfilled in doing the volunteer work and no longer feel like your career has to be the source of your fulfillment. You could learn something totally new that you didn’t predict would be a passion. You could meet someone that has similar interests or a counter skills set that you may want to go into business with. Also, you could realize that what you thought you might be interested in is really not something that you want to do after all.

Like 180ls1, I volunteer for a conservation group and have enjoyed it. It gives me a different channel to do things that I wouldn’t normally get to try and allows me to put my skills that I’ve gained in my 9-5 to use that is valuable to the organization. Most importantly, it’s meaningful and I know that it makes a difference.

I will say this though about volunteering, you get out of it what you put into it. If you just show up to a meeting and don’t ask questions, think critically, chat with others, or raise your hand to work or lead a task, you probably won’t get much value out of it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This idea that you should “love what you do everyday” just is not realistic at all for lots of folks. We wake up and go to work and it’s called work for a reason.
If you have a job that is flexible with time, pays you well and has good benefits, and is steady; I would never suggest changing it up because you “want to make a difference”.

If we’re throwing out random jobs that help people, at least get paid well…

The low end of national mean salary for a radiologist is $400k on 37 hours/week

X-ray tech certification pays a national mean of $102k on 28 hours/week

Project Managers with PMP certificate make $128k average to start on 36 hours/week

Exotic dancers make $94k on 26 hours/week*

*I totally made that up, ZipRecruiter doesn’t list stripper data

If we’re throwing out random jobs that help people, at least get paid well…

The low end of national mean salary for a radiologist is $400k on 37 hours/week

X-ray tech certification pays a national mean of $102k on 28 hours/week

Project Managers with PMP certificate make $128k average to start on 36 hours/week

Exotic dancers make $94k on 26 hours/week*

*I totally made that up, ZipRecruiter doesn’t list stripper data

I'm sure the good ones make that:ROFLMAO:

I did a very significant career change at an older age than you. However, not being marrierd at the time, nor having kids, my decision did not affect anyone else. A new job-career can be inspiring, provide motivation... however, it is very common to want to make a career change, even after a second career.

There are advantages in having a formal education, as just that opens doors not otherwise open. However, any job or career that has eligibility- qualification requirements, generally has such requirements to reduce liability. However, with that always comes bureaucracy, which happens to be a major factor with most for wanting a career change. So, in short, try to be sure you're not walking into the same displeasure in a different-new career.

Considering you are in a professional career, and if the above is correct (I could be off the mark), you might try researching other companies that operate more smoothly, or consider opening your own business, which may involve licensing, if you do not already have that.

With that said, Overall , I am happy with my career change. But I did not start out intending my career field. But what I originally chose, required a formal education. It was during my formal education, that I changed career direction. That change was directly related to my nonformal educational experiences in college-university. I was fortunate to make the career-major change early in my formal education. In short, if you do choose to make a career change, keep your options open.

My career change decision, was literally the scariest thing I have done in my life. I say that with having been in some exceptionally scary and dangerous life or death situations. The career change was not an instinctual reactionary act. My career change decision, I believe like your desire for this, was made and brought on over time. As such, it was a drawn out thought process in which I was literally gambling my future. It was a very emotionally provoking process. I imagine you will have a simular experience until you are sure your goal(s) are within reach.

Best wishes!

Last edited:

BigNate

WKR
I had another thought about this that may provoke some thought.

I currently make more than the most senior Engineer at my facility. A large portion of technical jobs, and skilled labor are currently manned by people well over 50. That means there will me a huge hole left when they all retire. I currently see Machinists and Welders getting payed incredibly well.

What do you find satisfying?

Jt89

FNG
Whatever you choose, choose to be the best at whatever that is, and you will have success.

It was a long hard road, with lots of drowning in the deep end but after 17 years on the tools as a Heavy Diesel tech wrenching on Caterpillar machines, I can say this about my work and a career that I have often hated: I am exceptionally good at what I do, my reputation with customers and within the company precedes me. I know nobody will put "Goddamn great mechanic who always got 'er done" on my headstone, and at the end of the day I'm still just a number in the system, I'll be forgotten pretty quick when I'm gone. I'd rather be out hunting and fishing, shit I'd rather be in my yard tending a veggie garden and throwing a stick for the dog and hanging out with my daughter. I could if I wanted to, but that comes at a cost - a longer working life. My work ethic along the way though (and stupid amounts of overtime) mean that I'm going to be mortgage free by the time I'm 45, and as long as I don't piss my money and time up the wall on frivolous distractions I'm satisfied to keep going with things the way they are. I only wish I'd started being smart with money sooner - I'd be there by now.

BKM

FNG
At least you have an education to go back on. I’m over 20 years into doing trim carpentry, still love it but literally feals like it’s killing me day by day.

Without going to school I’m looking at a 50% cut in pay to do anything else.

Marble

WKR
It was a long hard road, with lots of drowning in the deep end but after 17 years on the tools as a Heavy Diesel tech wrenching on Caterpillar machines, I can say this about my work and a career that I have often hated: I am exceptionally good at what I do, my reputation with customers and within the company precedes me. I know nobody will put "Goddamn great mechanic who always got 'er done" on my headstone, and at the end of the day I'm still just a number in the system, I'll be forgotten pretty quick when I'm gone. I'd rather be out hunting and fishing, shit I'd rather be in my yard tending a veggie garden and throwing a stick for the dog and hanging out with my daughter. I could if I wanted to, but that comes at a cost - a longer working life. My work ethic along the way though (and stupid amounts of overtime) mean that I'm going to be mortgage free by the time I'm 45, and as long as I don't piss my money and time up the wall on frivolous distractions I'm satisfied to keep going with things the way they are. I only wish I'd started being smart with money sooner - I'd be there by now.
Well, it sounds like you are making great choices and making it the best you can.

I can't really give you advice for how and what to do to be happier. That'll come from you.

I've had cancer three times, I'm 48. I got forced out of my profession, but with a pension. I'm now onto taking over my family business. The work itself is blah. But the satisfaction I get from helping my employees and customers is fantastic.

My dreams of a 30-year career were abruptly changed and I found myself with a little lack of direction. I had no specific goal in mind. I hit my networth goal by age already, a little early. But I found myself looking for something to put a passion into that literally kicks my ass. So I'm doing a fitness competition in August. It's helped me tremendously be more focused, disciplined, able to handle pain, discomfort, and a lot of hunger. I love and hate it at the same time. I'm not saying what I'm doing is what you should do. But re-imagining what your future life could look like is a start. And being open to a new possibility, something you have never done may put a fire/distraction into your day-to-day that reignites something.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, it sounds like you are making great choices and making it the best you can.

I can't really give you advice for how and what to do to be happier. That'll come from you.

I've had cancer three times, I'm 48. I got forced out of my profession, but with a pension. I'm now onto taking over my family business. The work itself is blah. But the satisfaction I get from helping my employees and customers is fantastic.

My dreams of a 30-year career were abruptly changed and I found myself with a little lack of direction. I had no specific goal in mind. I hit my network goal by age already, a little early. But I found myself looking for something to put a passion into that literally kicks my ass. So I'm doing a fitness competition in August. It's helped me tremendously be more focused, disciplined, able to handle pain, discomfort, and a lot of hunger. I love and hate it at the same time. I'm not saying what I'm doing is what you should do. But re-imagining what your future life could look like is a start. And being open to a new possibility, something you have never done may put a fire/distraction into your day-to-day that reignites something.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Great perspective right there

Jmort1754

WKR
As others have said, in today's social media world we look at life as this constantly changing find the easy road to riches path. I can tell you if you have a career that allows you to do things you want, affords you a lifestyle you want, allows time away for your family and passions then figure out a way to be satified. You can start over and make less money and MAY be happier, but you never know. YOU will stary as low man, you will get the shit assignments, shit locations. If you can stomach those things, then fortune favors the bold.

JFK

WKR
I changed careers. Prior career was corporate hell. At age 29 I couldn’t do it any more. Literally dreaded every single day of work. 2+ years later of getting some certifications and experience was hired as a fireman full time at great department. 100% the best decision I’ve ever made in my life. Pay raise, much better schedule, work with like-minded guys and I love the work. Not saying fire is the right move for you, but there is something to be said for going after something you want. That career change ended up making me a much better person outside of work as well…better attitude, healthier, more willing to take on challenging things.

The flip side is that it sounds like you’ve got a pretty solid gig. Can’t say what the right move is, and I would add that looking into potential careers before making any permanent move would be smart. Having rough days or going through periods where you lack motivation is normal in every job. I know this has happened to me. I try to recognize it and take a work related class or learn a new skill, and consciously re-engage.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
AppleJack