A kids first rifle

NuclearGrave

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,

I am looking to get my son a rifle in the next few months. I have been debating this but still not sure. As it’s my first kid, would like the thoughts from others. I would like to get him a rifle that he can grow into and hunt deer to elk. I have kinda narrowed down to three or so.

The sig cross due to adjustable length of pull and modularity. The Ruger American gen ii because of the ability to grow with him as well with short lop and can add spacers or chassis if needed. A tikka that I would throw in a chassis for adjustable lop. Most modular setup is tikka.

What say those who have gone down this road?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Hello all,

I am looking to get my son a rifle in the next few months. I have been debating this but still not sure. As it’s my first kid, would like the thoughts from others. I would like to get him a rifle that he can grow into and hunt deer to elk. I have kinda narrowed down to three or so.

The sig cross due to adjustable length of pull and modularity. The Ruger American gen ii because of the ability to grow with him as well with short lop and can add spacers or chassis if needed. A tikka that I would throw in a chassis for adjustable lop. Most modular setup is tikka.

Highly suggest you read this-

OP
N

NuclearGrave

Lil-Rokslider
He is 9 turning 10. He has been shooting 22lr for a year or two. Has shot a 223 bolt of a friends occasionally. Good shot with good fundamentals and safety. I figured I would get for him so he can be a part of setting up and start shooting off and on for hunting at minimum next year or after.

B23

WKR
tikka t3x compact .223 trijicon Huron 3-9x40. I have an identical setup in 6.5CM as well. A 6CM option would be great.View attachment 715378
Tikka Compact in 243 or 6.5 CM was the first thing I thought of. I have one in 204 Ruger and they come with the extra piece to shorten the LOP and it's an easy swap back and forth with a screwdriver. I'd suggest one in 6mm Creedmoor but Tikka, at present, doesn't chamber them in 6 CM. Hopefully they will soon because one of these in 6CM would make for a sweet little rifle but one in 243 Win certainly wouldn't be a bad choice.

My buddy was about to buy his daughter a Tikka T3x compact in 243. Then one day on a work trip to a job site he swung by a local gun shop and found they had a Sig Cross that was"used". As far as we can tell its never been shot so he went that route since he got a really good deal on it.

But, had he not stumbled across the Sig Cross he was fully prepared to go T3x compact in 243.

The Ruger is a good value. And some shoot well. I just think you'll have a better shooter in the Tikka or Sig but the Ruger is a good option to keep cost down some.

eric1115

WKR
Hello all,

If legal in your state I would 100% do a Tikka compact in .223.

Second choice, and only if you are legally required to use larger than .224 projectiles, and especially if you're planning on a suppressor as well, would be a Howa mini in 6mm ARC.

Suppress it if at all possible (I would 100% put chassis money towards a can and modify the factory stock if needed).

I've done kids' rifles right, and done them wrong, and I can say with near certainty that I'll never put a pre-teen kid behind a .308 or CM sized cartridge (to include .243, 6CM, etc.) again.

Possible exception for .22-250 or 22CM if one of my youngest two becomes a rabid long range fanatic, but at this point even a kid who's enthusiastic about shooting out to 500-700 like my older kids that juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

OP
N

NuclearGrave

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely suppressed. All his 22lr and limited 223 has been suppressed as I have many. I thought the chassis to add weight, have adjustable lop and reduce recoil. I would carry for him so the weight isn’t a concern yet.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Definitely suppressed. All his 22lr and limited 223 has been suppressed as I have many. I thought the chassis to add weight, have adjustable lop and reduce recoil. I would carry for him so the weight isn’t a concern yet.

Did you read the read that I linked?

OP
N

NuclearGrave

Lil-Rokslider
Did you read the read that I linked?
Yes, I have. I never even considered the 6mm arc until that forum. I have on the 223 and need to do more research on it. I don’t think it is legal in Colorado.

He has come hunting with me and I agree on the it’s their hunt concept and letting them kinda control the pace and direction.

ElPollo

WKR
Yes, I have. I never even considered the 6mm arc until that forum. I have on the 223 and need to do more research on it. I don’t think it is legal in Colorado.

He has come hunting with me and I agree on the it’s their hunt concept and letting them kinda control the pace and direction.
If you read that thread, go back and reread the part about why it’s important to have kids carry, load and manage their own firearms. I totally agree with Form on that part. If you have to add weight to a suppressed gun with a chassis to make a gun more shootable for a kid, you are probably starting with too much gun. In CO, the 6 arc is the way to go. It’s the lowest recoil you are going to get for a CO legal, factory loaded cartridge.

It may be counterintuitive, but a suppressed AR may be the way to go. You can set one up to be relatively light weight and still have low recoil. They allow for short LOP and a high butt relative to bore. If not an AR, then a Howa mini with a Stocky’s VG Hunter stock.

BLJ

WKR
I’ve got a RA 223 in a Bravo. For kids starting out I’ve got it weighing around 15#. When they get used to it/get a little bigger, I’ll take some weight out.
Keep the process going until there is no extra weight at all.
At the end the kids are shooting something comfortably that they are familiar with from practicing with the same thing repeatedly.

I’d say Tikka or RA. May be able to pick up a Gen1 RA cheap and pair it with a Trybe/Bravo and have something modular for a reasonable price. IMO

OP
N

NuclearGrave

Lil-Rokslider
If you read that thread, go back and reread the part about why it’s important to have kids carry, load and manage their own firearms. I totally agree with Form on that part. If you have to add weight to a suppressed gun with a chassis to make a gun more shootable for a kid, you are probably starting with too much gun. In CO, the 6 arc is the way to go. It’s the lowest recoil you are going to get for a CO legal, factory loaded cartridge.

It may be counterintuitive, but a suppressed AR may be the way to go. You can set one up to be relatively light weight and still have low recoil. They allow for short LOP and a high butt relative to bore. If not an AR, then a Howa mini with a Stocky’s VG Hunter stock.
I did read that part and thank you for supporting. I do want to stay away from AR platform or semi auto in general.

CHGray

FNG
Classified Approved
IMG_0784.jpeg
Just bought mine a Bergara Stoke in 7-08. Has an extremely short LOP that fits them well. My son is 6 and daughter is 9 for reference. Installed an Omni brake and will shoot light bullets to tame recoil. They wear the electronic ear pro when we hunt so not worried about the noise. Comes with three spacers to increase LOP as they grow. It’s a really nice little rifle. Pictured with a Ridge .308 SP for comparison. Identical B14 actions.