6.5 CM For New Hunter

Benjblt

WKR
I'm looking at buying a 6.5 creed that my son can start shooting. He's 8. I was going to go 7mm-08 but 6.5 creek ammo is so common I want one (I don't currently own one). I'm looking to rifle suggestions and feedback on my criteria. My criteria:
  1. Adjustable LOP, whether by spacer or actual continuous adjustability. I'd like a minimum of 12.5" and up to 13.5" so I can shoot it well and he can as he grows.
  2. Hinged floor plate internal magazine. I'm open to a magazine but it's one less thing to worry about if there's no magazine.
  3. 6.5lbs. I don't mind if it's lighter but I don't want it much heavier
  4. Price: $750.. . might be able to stretch it $1,000 or more for the right rifle but just don't see a need.
  5. Barrel lenght: 22" max but prefer 20"
I'm looking at the Weatherby Vanguard Compact Hunter. https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-compact-hunter/ real hard. It sounds like the Vanguard is a pretty solid rifle. Thoughts?

I've also thought about the sig cross because a chassis gun sounds can fit the compact criteria on another dimension with the ability to adjust the LOP and cheek piece as well as fold it. With those moving parts comes some complication I assume for a young hunter but I'm getting this gun for me and him to shoot until he can pick somthing he really wants when he's much older.

I've also thought about the Abolt 2, Tikka, and others but they just dont' tick all the boxes quite like the Vanguard seems to. . . but I've never held one. I'm open to other suggestions. Any thoughts?

+1 for everyone saying to go with a .223, especially at that age. My biggest concern on caliber would be getting his skills mastered without developing a flinch. As a boy, of course he'll want a big boy cartridge at some point - that's the carrot you hang out in front of him. Get his skillsets going with a good set of standardized tests realistic to field hunting realities, build up to a genuine competency with the .223, and then let him choose the caliber he wants once he meets a certain standardized goal with your training. It'll unleash his energy and focus on that training even more. Plus, it's far cheaper, and he can keep it as his trainer rifle.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the Savage 110 line, especially the lite Storm in .223. I have the regular Storm in .223 and it`s been everything I could have wanted in a first hunting rifle

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at the Weatherby Vanguard Compact Hunter. https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-compact-hunter/ real hard. It sounds like the Vanguard is a pretty solid rifle. Thoughts?
Get the Vanguard in the Creed and let him grow into it. Nothings better than growing up with that one rifle that does everything you need into adulthood, he will be a crack shot with it. Start out with some 90gn varmint loads if needed.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
As has been mentioned, not sure I would start the kid out on a 6.5 creedmoor. Something like the .223 or the 6 ARC would be better to start off on. I am in the middle of getting my daughter over a flinching issue caused by full power loads out of a .243 Winchester. Trust me, you don’t want them to develop a flinch.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
As an observation, the OP sounds experienced with rifles... is there not a lighter caliber in the home the boy can borrow while still owing his own first rifle in a caliber he -will- grow into?

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
As an observation, the OP sounds experienced with rifles... is there not a lighter caliber in the home the boy can borrow while still owing his own first rifle in a caliber he -will- grow into?
Yes. That was a thought I had and these responses have revived it. I do have a .223 in a remington 700. 13.5" lop and 22" barrel. I might just try to get another stock. I posted in the classifieds to see if anyone had one they'd sell.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
What bullets would you all use in 223? I have some loaded in barnes from like 10 years ago. I know many like the Sierra TMK, or whatever the heck it is... I just don't love bloodshot... even if it is from an animal my sons shot.

I still think the creedmoor would be something he'd grow into.

Unckebob

WKR
Yes. That was a thought I had and these responses have revived it. I do have a .223 in a remington 700. 13.5" lop and 22" barrel. I might just try to get another stock. I posted in the classifieds to see if anyone had one they'd sell.

eBay is your friend. Lots of wood stocks (easily shortened) for low dollars. I think the plastic stocks can be shortened as well.

mtnwkr

FNG
The Gen 2 Ruger American ranch comes in 6.5 and has an adjustable stock. Sexy looking rifle too.

Jbuck

FNG
My two younger boys shoot the 6.5cm just fine. My youngest one moved to the 6.5cm as his first centerfire. My 10yo has been shooting a 6.5cm since he was 8yo. He shoots just find out to about 1000yds. However the rifles we generally shoot are heavier. They both shoot a hunting weight rifle, but I limit the shots they take with it.

My youngest prefers a brake while my middle, 10yo, prefers suppressed.
20221216_082533.jpg

Edit to add their groups. 6yo on the left. 10yo's 2 groups on the right. Standing from the tripod

20220814_122104.jpg

Last edited:

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I still think the creedmoor would be something he'd grow into.
And your correct. Its far better for someone to grow up with one rifle that will do everything they need as an adult.

Start him out on your 223, kids grow up fast...

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
The Gen 2 Ruger American ranch comes in 6.5 and has an adjustable stock. Sexy looking rifle too.
I liked the looks of that one when if first came out but I didn't like how short the barrel was and that it had a magazine. Still might have a closer look.

ElPollo

WKR
Like the most here, I’d point you to the 223 and suggest a suppressor. Low single digit recoil energy, spotting shots through the scope, and ammo that is 1/3 the cost of 6.5 cm. Why get anything else?

And that Weatherby stock is an absolutely awful design for addressing recoil with the butt plate being so far south of the bore line. That would probably be my last choice. Buy a Tikka compact and add the vertical grip module. Consider a RokStok when they come out with the 12.5” version. Alternatively, get a Howa mini action and a Stocky’s VG Hunter stock. The problem with the Howa mini is that the magazines aren’t great and the action is a little sticky. It’s fixable, but costs $$ and time. If you are buying in a state that requires a 6 mm. The Howa mini in 6 Arc is a good option. Would not go bigger.

My 16 year old daughter still prefers shooting a 223 over a 6.5. Even with a can on the 6.5 and no can on the 223, she’ll take the latter any day. I understand. A 223 bolt gun with a can is the most fun centerfire gun there is to shoot hands down. If you make it fun and easy, they’ll enjoy it and develop better skills.

ElPollo

WKR
The RA gen 2 stock is about the same as the Weatherby. Big drop at the heel makes it hard to deal with recoil/muzzle rise and spot your own shots. Poor design for a kid, or anyone else for that matter.

eric1115

WKR
My two younger boys shoot the 6.5cm just fine. My youngest one moved to the 6.5cm as his first centerfire. My 10yo has been shooting a 6.5cm since he was 8yo. He shoots just find out to about 1000yds. However the rifles we generally shoot are heavier. They both shoot a hunting weight rifle, but I limit the shots they take with it.

My youngest prefers a brake while my middle, 10yo, prefers suppressed.
View attachment 681790

Edit to add their groups. 6yo on the left. 10yo's 2 groups on the right. Standing from the tripod

View attachment 681799
Why do you limit the number of shots they take with a hunting weight 6.5CM?

Be it 6.5CM, 7mm-08, light .308 loads, I firmly believe after teaching a pile of kids to shoot (and watching a big pile more learn) that a 120+ grain projectile over 40+ grains of powder in a hunting weight rifle is too much for a kid wanting to become a rifleman.

OP, I'd 100% do a Tikka T3x compact in .223 and run the 77TMK. Switching my oldest son from a 7mm-08 with mild 120 grains loads to a .223 RSS was the best thing I've done for development of his shooting skills.

Jbuck

FNG
Why do you limit the number of shots they take with a hunting weight 6.5CM?

I switch them out of the lighter guns when I see them getting lazy with their fundamentals. By lighter I mean 7lbs bare so not super light.