8x binocs

Scoot

WKR
I'm thinking about getting a set of 8x binocs. I currently have 10x and 15x, but no 8x. Check my thinking here-- if I was going to try to save a little money on glass, the lower magnification binocs would be a reasonable place to do so. Agree? I've always been of the belief that as the magnification of optics increases, so does the relative benefit of getting top of the line glass. I have no doubt I'd get a better product if I went with Swaro, but I just can't justify $2k for a set of 8x binocs.

So... I've been looking for a pair of 8x binocs that are reasonably small and light, are a "mid-range binoc", and will work better for me on both backpack hunts and whitetail hunting. I'd appreciate hearing your fellas thoughts...
Thanks much,
Scott

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a pair of Kahles 8x32's, Kahles 10x42's, and Meopta 15x56's. Weight and size wise there really isn't that much difference between my compact 8's and my 10's. However, I do like the compact 8's for timber hunting for close range stuff. But prefer more power everywhere else.

Last edited:

zmoyer

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple pairs of 10x and a pair of 8x. Since I bought the 8x they have become my go to binos. The larger FOV and ease of holding free-handed while hunting is unbeatable. That said, I dont think the magnification should have any play into whether or not to invest in higher end glass. The power has little effect on the price. What you are paying for is the quality of the glass, lens coatings, construction method/materials, etc. These are what really make a bino stand out. I am far from an expert, so hopefully someone else will chime in, but what I can tell you is that if you invest the money to buy a nice set of 8x I can guarantee all of your lesser quality 10x will be staying home.

jtw

WKR
What zmoyer said. I love my 8x but I mainly hunt in the timber. I cant speak to swaro quality but I recently bumped up to an hd binos and its been a huge difference at 8x.

dotman

WKR
Another 8x fan here and I also agree that you should invest the the most expensive model you can afford. There is a ton of good competition at about the $1k price range.

I prefer an 8 also. The FOV, low light performance and ease of holding steady are well worth giving up a little power(to me anyway). I also agree with your thinking that as power increases you need to spend more money to get the performance. That being said, I would still pick a price range and try everything in that range and at least a couple above just to see if you would be missing out.

brettpsu

Lil-Rokslider
Love 8x binos. Looking for a 30-32mm set right now. Intrigued by the Mavin B3's the specs are unreal.

my go to pair is also and 8x32. Love them. Mine are Meopta and I cant say enough good about them. They are 6 years old now and I think they were around $699 back then. Money well spent in my oppinion.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
As mid priced stuff has gotten ever better over the last few years, the old adage of better glass at less money with less magnification is not so advantageous as it was only a few years ago.

I'm an 8x guy myself, but both work.

A friend of mine is working over a Maven B3. His review is on the binocular sub forum at Bird Forum. I have had numerous conversations with Frank and from what he says, I'd jump on a Maven B3. That is the next binocular I am buying.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=300721

stephen b

WKR
For me 8x glass and 30/32mm size is my favorite combo ( unless more companies put out a 7x30/32, and then those might be my favorite).

Even though I have 10x42 glass, and a full size 8x- a SLC HD in 8x42; I love to carry the a 8x30/32 size.

If I was you ( and most of us have been there), I would as said above get the best you can afford. And you do not have to spend a ton of $$ to get a quality mid size.

I would look at these 8x32 bino's:

8x32 Cabelas Euro HD ( Meopta made)
8x32 Meopta Meostar
8x32 Zeiss Conquest HD
8x32 Pentax DCF HD
8x30 Maven's

and maybe the Vortex Viper HD in 8x32 ( but IMO, it falls a little bit behind the ones above)

and I would not be afraid to look for quality used which can be had for about $1000. These include Swaro 8x30 SLC NEU - around $600-$800. And Swaro 8x32 EL ( before the SV's came out. And also some 8x32 Zeiss FL, or Leica's older 8x32.

If I wanted to buy new and for what you desire from your post, I would look hard at the 8x32 Euro HD's

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I've looked at the Zeiss Conquest HDs before and they appeal to me. If I was patient and snooped a bunch, what kind of price could I expect to get them for? I'd consider used too..

I have about $600 credit at Cabelas right now and I see they have them listed for $900. I could use a $75 off promo now too, so I could get them for $825. However, I could use the $600 for about a dozen other things too, so it's not like I need to use that money for the binocs now if I could beat that price by a fair bit.

dotman

WKR
Cameralandny has demo 8x32 for $750, late last year they had them for $650.

birdman1

FNG
I have the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 and love them! Holy crap I wish i could have got them for $570 like whats listed above

mogrimy

FNG
What is the practical difference between 8x32 and 8x42? Is it just weight and low light performance?

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
The 5 mm exit pupil of the x42 will make eye placement easier. Also the 32 mm size may not fit larger hands well. Under most viewing conditions a good 32 mm will do quite well. The extra light and resolution potential may give advantage at distance to the x42. I use my 8x32 stuff when size and weight are an issue. Otherwise I like the x42. It is easier for me to glass for extended periods with the x42 mostly because the size balances better for me and the weight helps stability.

I just picked up the Conquest hd 10x42 not too long ago and love them as well. They have a wide FOV for a 10x...

Only negatives is eyecup cover suck, but I picked up aftermarkets for $7 so no worries there, and for some reason I can see a blue fringe at times that is a little annoying, but I may just live with it. Seems like eye placement has something to do with it, but I read others having the same issue... kind of surprising for the price.

Other then that I love everything else about them. Super clear, tough feeling, good warranty, good eyecups (I think), comfy, amazing focus knob...

Good binos:)

Trial153

WKR
Just got the Conquest HD 8x32.... Should be here this week. Hopefully I like them.

dotman

WKR
I just picked up the Conquest hd 10x42 not too long ago and love them as well. They have a wide FOV for a 10x...

Only negatives is eyecup cover suck, but I picked up aftermarkets for $7 so no worries there, and for some reason I can see a blue fringe at times that is a little annoying, but I may just live with it. Seems like eye placement has something to do with it, but I read others having the same issue... kind of surprising for the price.

Other then that I love everything else about them. Super clear, tough feeling, good warranty, good eyecups (I think), comfy, amazing focus knob...

Good binos:)

What aftermarket eyecups did you get?