8x Binos under $300

craigrh13

FNG
I’m looking for a compact set of 8x binos. Must be under $300. I have used the Maven B3’s and they were outstanding for me. Just not wanting to drop that much coin on a tree stand set.

The Diamondback HD’s seem to have solid reviews.

What about the Kowa SV II 8-32’s? Great reviews on them as well. Anything else? Anyone running either of these? My main set of Binos are Maven B1.2’s.

Depending on urgency, you can wait to see if BP/Cabelas will do the normal Vortex Viper deal for under $200 around Black Friday.

Costco has some GPO's for around that price. No risk to buy and try if you're a member there...

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
If you are military, law enforcement or first responder, some of the manufacturers cut you a big break, was looking for a solid pair of 8x and landed with some athlon Midas I think, some birders were doing in depth comparison between them and low level lecias’s anywho been super happy with them as my timber/ archery hunting binos

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
May I suggest taking a look at/through the Athlon Argos G2 8x42 UHD Binocular which we have on sale at the moment for only $199.99.
  • UHD Glass: Extra-low dispersion glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%
  • Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater

OP
C

craigrh13

FNG
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I need to be more clear on what I’m looking for. I want a small pair of 8x30’s or the likes. Something similar to the Maven B3’s. I have 8x42’s in Maven B1.2. I am actually thinking about selling them so I can move to a 10x and then I’ll use the small 8x30’s for tree stand hunting.

OP
C

craigrh13

FNG
Any thoughts on the Maven C.2 7x28??? Reviews seem pretty solid for the price range. With my Veteran Discount I can get them for $180 plus tax. Seems like a pretty solid deal???

OP
C

craigrh13

FNG
Any opinion on the hawk endurance 8x32? Reviews seem good. I called them and they said everything is made in China(boo) but they do offer a 20% veteran discount. I just haven’t heard much about them.

OP
C

craigrh13

FNG
I picked up some Maven C2 7x28’s through Maven. Only $180 so we will see.

dct73

FNG
I have the Hawk Endurance ED 8x32. I haven't used them hunting yet, so I don't have much of an opinion on low light performance yet. However, they are now my preferred binoculars for woods use here in the midwest. For $230 and a lifetime warranty, it's a heckofa deal. I did have to pull the focus wheel cover off and apply a drop of oil to get the feel I wanted.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...1_8x32_endurance_ed_binocular.html?ap=y&smp=y
DVOR has the Zeiss SFL 8x30 for $1100 for another nine hours. I think my wallet just went and hid!

I have the Diamondback HD 8x42s as my truck/loaner set. They're ok at best. Pretty bad CA and shallow depth of field. Sent them in twice for diopter and alignment issues. Wouldn't recommend.

OP
C

craigrh13

FNG
Following I just had a pair Yosemites break and am in the market. When you get the c2 if you don't mind a short review would be great
So far I like them. Are they as sharp as my B1.2’s? No, but it’s definitely not HUGE in the difference. Even glassing the moon the differences aren’t much. I can see well past shooting light in the woods with these little guys. They are very very light. I don’t like that there’s no end caps for them but that’s an easy fix. For the price I paid for them I definitely recommend them. I’m not an alpha glass user so all I can compare them to is my 8x42 B1.2’s.

Sizthediz

WKR
So far I like them. Are they as sharp as my B1.2’s? No, but it’s definitely not HUGE in the difference. Even glassing the moon the differences aren’t much. I can see well past shooting light in the woods with these little guys. They are very very light. I don’t like that there’s no end caps for them but that’s an easy fix. For the price I paid for them I definitely recommend them. I’m not an alpha glass user so all I can compare them to is my 8x42 B1.2’s.
I was considering a pair of vortex diamondbacks. How do you think they compare?