$82k- edit; for a 4 door Jeep Rubicon

I think this is a miss type, I assume Beendare ain't super familiar with jeeps, I'm a former jeep guy and don't know all the names.

A current Rubicon model has MSRP north of 90k, I assume this is likely the model he is referring to. Seems cool, a hemi 392, 460hp in a kinda small vehicle.

Not $90k cool, but people pay it, so I can't fault them. It's like having a Mercedes, or BMW, vehicles are just tools to me.
And a buddy of mine had a Brute built before they were made...

Pickup bed, 492, Rubicon stuff.

He spent like $120k, makes $82k seem like a bargain.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I think this is a miss type, I assume Beendare ain't super familiar with jeeps, I'm a former jeep guy and don't know all the names.

A current Rubicon model has MSRP north of 90k, I assume this is likely the model he is referring to. Seems cool, a hemi 392, 460hp in a kinda small vehicle.

Not $90k cool, but people pay it, so I can't fault them. It's like having a Mercedes, or BMW, vehicles are just tools to me.
Oops Good catch Billy Goat.....you are right...I just edited the thread...it was a 4 door Rubicon...sorry guys

I am not familiar with Jeep models- obviously.

It still seems high for a 4 door jeep....

Last edited:

Super tag

WKR
To each their own, it doesn’t matter to me what people spend their money on, it’s not my money. its a personal thing.
I buy what I want, not concerned about who does and doesn’t approve.
A lot of the issues are supply and demand, a lot of necessary parts are extremely hard to get these days, its harder to build the super loaded packages, there’s fewer of them, so they cost more. If you want it then buy it.

To each their own, it doesn’t matter to me what people spend their money on, it’s not my money. its a personal thing.
A lot of the issues are supply and demand, a lot of necessary parts are extremely hard to get these days, its harder to build the super loaded packages, there’s fewer of them, so they cost more. If you want it then buy it.
Exactly.

I don't NEED a King Ranch trim package, or any of my Sitka/First Lite/Filson/Simms/Orvis gear.

It's sure comfortable though.

MattB

WKR
Oops Good catch Billy Goat.....you are right...I just edited the thread...it was a 4 door Rubicon...sorry guys

I am not familiar with Jeep models- obviously.

It still seems high for a 4 door jeep....
The Rubicon 4-door 392 MSRP starts at $82,495, that makes more sense than a $40K Renegade with $40K of accessories.

tony

WKR
Nothing wrong with Stanley. My dad gave me a coffee thermos a year ago he used to take to work at Allis Chalmers when i was a toddler. I was a toddler over 40 years ago.

Walmart anything never lasts nor do they back it when it fails. Walmart stuff is disposable short term use stuff.

Don’t waste money, buy good quality, then use it for a lifetime.
Absolutely nothing wrong with Stanley, and applaud them for being able to separate 20 something to 40 something impressionable females at $50.00 a pop for pretty shiny mugs to show off to all their friends.
My WM "nalgene was $5.00, they are now $7.00 I think. Thats 5 of them to one Stanley. So far the only thing thats happened to mine is the metal cap popped off the plastic cap that actual threads on.

I do buy quality, I don't buy flash and glamor bullshit. I just need something to drink water and coffee out of. I drink enough coffee in a day, I don't need a mug that keeps it 100 degrees for a week, same with water. I drink it out of the tap, so I'm not worried about staying cold.

I was wrong with my initial post, I asked my young friend at work.
She has 10 Stanley mugs at $50.00 a piece. I'm over trying to close out on retirement #2 before I hit 60

*zap*

WKR
I bought the wide mouth mainstays thermos at wally last night for my daily meal. I was tired of putting it in the gsi microlite narrow mouth. It did OK and will do just as well as my stanley. $20.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Are these numbers true? This does not seem possible. I took our Ford Escape (POS) in for some recall work a couple weeks ago and was just roaming around and looked at a new F250 Diesel of some sort with an MSRP of $74K I think. How on earth could a jeep be more than that? Have a buddy who ran a shop (retired) who told me one time to NEVER buy a jeep. Said you will pay.

*zap*

WKR
My 97 cherokee goes without a blimp.....pulls a trailer well also, within reason. With the posi rear I have only used 4 wheel drive 2x in 5 years. It just goes in 2wd thru it all, within reason of course. 4 wheel drive is pretty unstoppable, imo.

Stock and paid for.....purchased with barter, painted a ranch house exterior.

tony

WKR
"jeep tax" my friend. Chrysler has an in demand vehicle and they know it.

People buy rubicons that only see gravel driveways and then jack them up to earn rubber ducks and waves.

Look at used car lots and they always have jeeps on them.

I mostly agree, but remember 2008.

I'm not certain a similar thing won't happen just in the vehicle market when people are paying 100k for a 40k vehicle.

Buy what you want, if you are actually buying it. Unfortunately to many think buying means financing.

Coldtrail

WKR
But young people DONT want to work anymore. And the ones that do have been brainwashed to think they need to be paid a “livable wage” to do menial unskilled tasks. Most don’t truly enter the workforce until their mid to late 20s which is laughable and pathetic.

I don’t know a single boomer that didn’t start working from the age of 16. They all have most definitely “earned” whatever money they have now. Their grandkids are currently living off of student loans and credit cards.
A little of a hijack from jeep pricing, but this is very true. I easily made an extra $20,000 a year for several years working overtime hours that the newer employees refused to work. I dont say that as a dig on generations, what you choose to spend your time on is your business, but the group I heard complaining the most about not having money was also the same ones who let the "old guys" work their overtime.....usually as they were drinking an $8 latte & leaning on the fender of an $80,000 vehicle. It was to the point that the employer figured it wouldnt be long and there would be no overtime because they couldn't get anyone to come in on a day off or beyond an 8hr shift. Also, many of the new hires were trying to opt out of the retirement plan so they could use that money to pay current bills, there is a generation out there that could use some financial planning. Go to the grocery store, fast food place etc and tell me if its all young employees trying to earn a living vs retired people still showing up to supplement their income.

I'm 52 and pretty much retired from a govt gig with the exception of picking up some occasional construction work, when I left alot of the younger employees razzed me figuring I got a big bag of money from a dead relative or something, kind of insulting. I have been in the work force since I was 15yo, was out the door at 18 with a car and apartment i paid for with my own earned money, and going to school on money i earned, always had more than one job, for the past 28yrs worked 50-60+hrs a week on my main job and 8-24hr a week on side jobs and lived within my budget. My dad is an 80yr old cancer survivor and still works 30hrs a week hanging windows and doors.

There are a few people that fell into easy money, but frustrating that such a broad brush is used to generalize anyone over age 45. If you are over the age of 18 and still live at home, driving a vehicle mom & dad paid for, attending college that mom and dad are paying for, misc expenses like cell phone on mom and dads plan health care etc......it might not be $100 bills of free money handed over, but definitely money you are spending that you didnt earn.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Stanley, and applaud them for being able to separate 20 something to 40 something impressionable females at $50.00 a pop for pretty shiny mugs to show off to all their friends.
My WM "nalgene was $5.00, they are now $7.00 I think. Thats 5 of them to one Stanley. So far the only thing thats happened to mine is the metal cap popped off the plastic cap that actual threads on.

I do buy quality, I don't buy flash and glamor bullshit. I just need something to drink water and coffee out of. I drink enough coffee in a day, I don't need a mug that keeps it 100 degrees for a week, same with water. I drink it out of the tap, so I'm not worried about staying cold.

I was wrong with my initial post, I asked my young friend at work.
She has 10 Stanley mugs at $50.00 a piece. I'm over trying to close out on retirement #2 before I hit 60
I guess my point was more like buy one Stanley, or whatever quality item, not 10 of them and use it forever vs buying cheap Walmart stuff over and over.

I’m guilty as well of course, bought no name or Walmart branded items cause they were cheap when Walmart was the new thing in my small town 30 years ago. I don’t have a single thing i bought from them back then anymore. My Dad still had that well used Stanley Thermos to give to me though.

I’ll add, sorta funny to me you call a Stanley mug “flash and glamour” as all my Dads grubby welder friends and hunting buddies had those green thermoses. My wife isnt impressed with mine because it’s green so she calls it “hunting stuff” as in “get your dirty hunting stuff off the counter” I’m going to tell her it’s a flash and glamour thermos. 😂

A little of a hijack from jeep pricing, but this is very true. I easily made an extra $20,000 a year for several years working overtime hours that the newer employees refused to work. I dont say that as a dig on generations, what you choose to spend your time on is your business, but the group I heard complaining the most about not having money was also the same ones who let the "old guys" work their overtime.....usually as they were drinking an $8 latte & leaning on the fender of an $80,000 vehicle. It was to the point that the employer figured it wouldnt be long and there would be no overtime because they couldn't get anyone to come in on a day off or beyond an 8hr shift. Also, many of the new hires were trying to opt out of the retirement plan so they could use that money to pay current bills, there is a generation out there that could use some financial planning. Go to the grocery store, fast food place etc and tell me if its all young employees trying to earn a living vs retired people still showing up to supplement their income.

I'm 52 and pretty much retired from a govt gig with the exception of picking up some occasional construction work, when I left alot of the younger employees razzed me figuring I got a big bag of money from a dead relative or something, kind of insulting. I have been in the work force since I was 15yo, was out the door at 18 with a car and apartment i paid for with my own earned money, and going to school on money i earned, always had more than one job, for the past 28yrs worked 50-60+hrs a week on my main job and 8-24hr a week on side jobs and lived within my budget. My dad is an 80yr old cancer survivor and still works 30hrs a week hanging windows and doors.

There are a few people that fell into easy money, but frustrating that such a broad brush is used to generalize anyone over age 45. If you are over the age of 18 and still live at home, driving a vehicle mom & dad paid for, attending college that mom and dad are paying for, misc expenses like cell phone on mom and dads plan health care etc......it might not be $100 bills of free money handed over, but definitely money you are spending that you didnt earn.
Yup, my 22 yo niece was upset she has to move back to her parents this summer when college is done because she “doesn’t have any money”. She tried to get my parents to let her live with them for the summer. She puts a Starbucks on her credit card every morning when she’s visiting them per my old man.

But you could easily guess her employment status, no job. It just doesn’t compute to me?

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
The Rubicon 4-door 392 MSRP starts at $82,495, that makes more sense than a $40K Renegade with $40K of accessories.

That was her out the door price inc tax and license -

So she got a ‘Deal’ then…..grin.

It seems like 20% of the teen age girls around here are all driving Jeeps and zero teen boys as they call it a chick car. Oh how that brand has changed.

When I was younger it was only guys driving jeeps….and there wasn’t a $40k difference between models…it was a Jeep.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Worth mentioning, I recommend that everyone owns a business, even if it’s just a side gig. Many times you can legitimately run expenses through those businesses- like vehicles, insurance and fuel.

I own a couple businesses, and use my truck for them so it’s a legitimate expense. In my horrible tax state California, potentially paying 52% in tax, I can write off that truck.

My buddies that both have the $110k-$120k TRX’s own them through their business….so its really like buying it for apx. $55k-$60k..as much as 1/2 off. My buddies wife might have done that, I didn’t ask ….so essentially buying that Rubicon at 40-50% off.

Buying an expensive vehicle with after tax $$$ is cutting your own throat.