$82k- edit; for a 4 door Jeep Rubicon

grfox92

WKR
Last time I was waiting for an oil change, the local Dodge/Jeep dealer had a Jeep Wagoneer Limited on the showroom floor. Factory sticker was $115, 000, no dealer add ons!
My wife loved them when they came out, so just out of curiosity I went on Jeeps website and the cheapest one I could build was what you said. $115k. I just started laughing and closed the laptop.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

49ereric

WKR
For those that have not been paying attention to the effects of bad policy and inflation….

A buddies wife just paid $82k for a fully loaded Renegade OTD- ridiculous. Now she can afford it but wow…have the price of these new vehicles gone up or what?

I bought my fully loaded Ram limited with air suspension in 2019 for $48k otd. That same truck now is $75k + around here…then add interest rates have gone way up…...how are young folks going to afford it?
Over paying is a disease that is bad policy at the personal level…
People stop buying at inflated prices then prices drop.

Randle

WKR
Price won't drop anytime soon. To build a truly autonomous car , technology has to keep advancing. Ever year more features are added. I think right now some people are trying to buy new to get ahead of the electric vehicle push. Update now before they are pushed on us mindset.
$1999 for a new Hoyt bow.
$500 for a knife
12k for a custom rifle
Things are expensive everywhere right now.

Traveler

WKR
This seems to be affecting certain types of vehicles more than others. Like others have said there is probably a price increase artificially set by manufacturer because they know people will pay it. Helps offset other lower margin models

LostArra

WKR
Many people both young and old do not care about the price of a home or vehicle.
Only, how much is the payment and can I afford that! 10-15 year car loans in the near future will not surprise me. To some, interest is a way of life. To me, paying interest is like having an embedded tick on your leg.

Price won't drop anytime soon. To build a truly autonomous car , technology has to keep advancing. Ever year more features are added. I think right now some people are trying to buy new to get ahead of the electric vehicle push. Update now before they are pushed on us mindset.
$1999 for a new Hoyt bow.
$500 for a knife
12k for a custom rifle
Things are expensive everywhere right now.
Vehicle prices, on average, are already dropping and it's expected to continue.

True, I guess my point is tech is also driving price
Yeah. I have a perfectly fine 2017 I bought new. Its a basic model. I am very tempted by new vehicles with all the comfort and safety tech. The idea of making payments is enough to keep me away, so far.

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
There is a lot of talk about how insane it is to buy new, but when we graduated college and bought our house, the first thing I set my goal for was new trucks and cars. My wife's Volkswagen was 8 years old and already showing age.. my truck was 17 years old with an extended cab and wasn't practical to drive across states with dogs and a kid.
You hear constantly how they lose their value instantly. And thats true to a point. But my wife and I are fortunate enough to have steady jobs that can justify the cost of a purchase for NEW. When I bought my ranger, we got 0% interest for 80 months. I put $10k down and pay $400/ month.
That truck stays parked in the garage until a hunt or roadtrip comes up. I daily a 20 year old diesel ive had since i was 17. We bought my wife's toyota at MSRP this year. 2.8% interest with 14% down. I paid $3,000 more for a brand new car vs the used car they had on the lot, but my interest rate was going to be about 2% more. When we bought them we looked at them as personal investments. I plan to keep my ranger for 20 years. My wife's car, atleast 200k. And I know I will get it out of them if I take care of them.
It's not crazy to pay for the things you want if you can justify them.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
Where on earth are you guys getting your numbers???

The Jeep Wagoneer starts at $60k. I could not find a single Jeep Renegade listed for more than $40k in the PNW.

I just bought a loaded 4x4 pickup with less than 2k miles for $34k.

Blows my mind that people can get this worked up over imaginary situations.

Last edited:

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
True. Unfortunately the fix to glut is to cut back. Pain and discomfort are part of the world, try pushing it off too far, and frequently there will be a price to pay. Push it off far enough, and one will no longer be in control of how that price is payed.

Being a control freak, I'm a fan of paying early. Of course, that does not guarantee things go well, but it increase the odds. So, with that view, I think QT is needed (along with massive reform of Social Security, unemployment, and Medicaid/Medicare as they account for over 50% of the national budget, along with higher taxes while we get out of debt). A constitution amendment should be passed that ties the debt ceiling to tax rates, make the voters directly feel the cost of policy.

Of course, that has something in it to piss off every political persuasion and age group, so it is not going to happen.
What is "QT"?

Traveler

WKR
Thank you Ten bear….
We hear from the talking heads inflation is 6%…thats total bullshit….its much higher than that in the real world.
Yes, it was a 4 door renegade with everything and looks like a lift and custom wheels with at least 33’s probably bigger.

FWIW, I have a lot of friends that can afford these expensive rigs…my one buddy and his son both have TRX’s. I say more power to these people if they can afford it. I’m all for people making money, being successful And owning nice stuff.

My point is; for everyone else, Inflation is taking money right out of our pockets and our bank accounts and many don’t even realize it.
The renegade buyer spent too much for something they wanted... If they can afford it good for them. But not sure what that has to do with normal buyers…

I remember going to work in the early 90's for someone that had a repair garage and used car lot. He said if you have to finance a car for more than 36 you can't afford it. Man have things changed.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you Ten bear….
We hear from the talking heads inflation is 6%…thats total bullshit….its much higher than that in the real world.
Yes, it was a 4 door renegade with everything and looks like a lift and custom wheels with at least 33’s probably bigger.

FWIW, I have a lot of friends that can afford these expensive rigs…my one buddy and his son both have TRX’s. I say more power to these people if they can afford it. I’m all for people making money, being successful And owning nice stuff.

My point is; for everyone else, Inflation is taking money right out of our pockets and our bank accounts and many don’t even realize it.

You saw one of these on 33" tires that was sold for $82,000 USD?

c1611812c1018ef6287a6c91b4a23b8d.jpg

True , I guess my point is tech is driving prices too
There are a lot of guys like me that want LESS tech in their truck. I’d prefer zero techy garbage to be honest.

It’s does nothing but aggravate the average dude when a simple wheel bearing starts to go and the stupid wheel sensor confuses the computer in the truck which in turn shuts off your cruise control, back up camera, back up assist, Sync touch screen, E brake, ABS, AdvanceTrac, The Auto shut off, etc like it did on my F150. It’s all junk i WISH my truck had none of it.

The same way people buy 120k F-250s. Finance them under their business and use it as a tax write off. Anything above 50k for a truck is just a waste. A truck is a truck not a computer. The only way to stop the price gouging is if everyone started buying beaters and foring the market to crash.
There will always be people more concerned with status than money.
As far as "write offs" It can reduce tax liability to some degree, but still doesn't come even close to offsetting the cost of the vehicle.