7RM short range hunting performance

I read a lot about the versatility of the 7RM with the large weight offerings in the .284 bullet class. One thing that i'm still trying to learn more about is how the big 7 performs on deer sized game at short range (50-100yards). Is there a particular bullet weight and/or construction for a 7RM hat is more effective on deer at short range, or is this cartridge just better suited for longer range? Anyone use one in these types of conditions consistently enough to have some experience to share? Thanks!

I think I'd run a heavier all copper option since velocities at that range can make a mess of both deer and bullet.

I've destroyed both shoulders at that distance using 160 Accubonds so avoiding shoulder bones is advised.

I can tell you that the Hornady ELDX 162gr made a mess of the off shoulder on a deer last year for me at about 75 yards. Any of the VLD bullets are better performers further out where they are travelling slower. It still worked, but I’d hate to hit bone on the frontside. If you are primarily hunting at close range, there are some good bullet choices for the 7RM.

This completely depends on bullet selection rather than caliber. You shouldn't have problems with any typical hunting bullet at that distance, but thin jacketed cup and core bullets such as Bergers or Hornady ELDMs will expand extremely rapidly at those distances. Bonded bullets such as Accubonds or Partitions will probably provide more desirable terminal performance under 100 yards. If you're max range is under 300 yards you might as well pick a caliber with less recoil. You will not notice the ballistic advantages of the big 7mm calibers under 300 yards. If you are looking for an all-range hunting rifle, a 7mm Rem Mag loaded with 168 grain Berger VLDs will have you covered from 50 yards to 1000 yards.

I think I'd run a heavier all copper option since velocities at that range can make a mess of both deer and bullet.

I've destroyed both shoulders at that distance using 160 Accubonds so avoiding shoulder bones is advised.

have you ever had an issue with lack of expansion at short ranges with a mono? I actually prefer to use copper when possible and have had good experience with it out of a 270, but also have yet to recover a bullet because they zip right through at shorter ranges.

In Louisiana where I hunt shots can be from 10yds to 300yds. I have shot a few deer at about 25yds with the 160gr accubond. Like mthuntr mentioned you definitely want to avoid the shoulder at close range if you care about damaging meat. But a shot behind the shoulder has seemed to work well for me. I did end up shooting one deer in the shoulder, was running, probably not the best shot, but anyways, it messed that shoulder up pretty bad. For closer shots like you mentioned, I would stay away from the long range bullets. These bullets are not designed for impacts at that velocity. Not saying they won't work, but they are just not designed for close up shots.

This completely depends on bullet selection rather than caliber. You shouldn't have problems with any typical hunting bullet at that distance, but thin jacketed cup and core bullets such as Bergers or Hornady ELDMs will expand extremely rapidly at those distances. Bonded bullets such as Accubonds or Partitions will probably provide more desirable terminal performance under 100 yards. If you're max range is under 300 yards you might as well pick a caliber with less recoil. You will not notice the ballistic advantages of the big 7mm calibers under 300 yards. If you are looking for an all-range hunting rifle, a 7mm Rem Mag loaded with 168 grain Berger VLDs will have you covered from 50 yards to 1000 yards.

that's helpful, thanks! I am limited to 300-400 yards just based on not having access to a range that offers anything further, but have aspirations of stretching that one day. The need i am trying to fill would be more in line with having something that can be effective sub 100 on whitetail as well as out to 400 on elk.

have you ever had an issue with lack of expansion at short ranges with a mono? I actually prefer to use copper when possible and have had good experience with it out of a 270, but also have yet to recover a bullet because they zip right through at shorter ranges.
I've not had expansion problems at that distance. Expansion issues tend to manifest when velocities drop below 1800 (give or take).

only using factory right now. i have access to reloading equipment but not something i've jumped into yet.

If you decide to go that route, for shots under 500 yards on elk you can load up some pretty awesome rounds for a 7mm-08 with 160gr +/- bullets. Less recoil and sends those vld style bullets out of the barrel a bit slower which makes them more effective at the closer ranges. If you play around on a ballistics calculator for a while, you can start to really tailor a round that suits your needs.

The Barnes VOR-TX w/ 139 grain LRX runs ~3220 fps out of my Tikka T3x...I would have no qualms at all using that out to 300 yards on pretty much anything you can shoot a 7mm at. Honorable mention to the 162 SST Superformance load - runs like the box says and would also get the job done on about anything the 7mm will do for, albeit in a much different fashion than the Barnes. Would expect less meat damage from the former, and much better long range performance from the latter (which doesn't sound relevant to you).

For my hand loads, I am working with 160, 162, 168 grain stuff (Sierra, Hornady, Berger, Matrix), but would consider heavier. Those putter along at an easy 2900-2950 fps.

I've got my .30-06 in rotation atm, but when I do punch a pig or deer up close I'll post up something for you...assuming I remember...'cause I'm old.

I only rifle hunt bucks so I’m not concerned about meat as much as I am the kill. I shoot the 160 grain Barnes TSX and aim for the shoulder. Mostly DRT from 50-300 yards. I bow hunt for meat. Our state is very liberal on how many deer we can take (3 bucks and 5 does) so meat is not a problem. Now if I was in one of the states that had a one deer limit I would probably change my thinking. Anyway the Barnes does the job for me.

It doesn't matter if its a 6mm, a 7mm, or an 8mm. You shoot a deer in the shoulder at that range or even out there at a distance you will have quite a bit of meat damage in my opinion. It doesn't always work that way, but I like to try and place my shot directly behind the shoulder in the lung area.

MY father used nothing but the 160 gr. Partition in his 7mm Remington and it worked on everything from antelope, deer, and elk up close and far away. I feel that it and the 160 gr. Accubond would both be outstanding really for anything you would want to hunt with the 7mm. The Nosler E-tip would also be excellent. I'd choose the 140 or 150 gr. if it were me on the E-tip.

I shoot a 7rem for most everything. I have shot stuff out to 700 and a few whitetail does at 30-60yards. 260 Federal Trophy Bonded Tip. zlike stated above any bullet through the shoulder at that distance will do a lot of unwanted damage. However, a mono or heavy bonded bullet will be less destructive than most other options.

7mm Rem Mag gets the nod for most of my big game hunting. I don't use bullets lighter than 140 grain unless a monometal. No complaints on deer, unless I drive a soft bullet into the shoulders and most of my shots are 45-150 yards. Cup and core 140-175 no issues and monometals 120-150 grain have been good as well. Factory deer loads the 150 Federal fusion has been good to me.
I am anxious to see how the 150 Accubond stacks up. The 160 is good but my rifle dotes on the 150 Ballistic tip. Hopefully they prove interchangeable, not that the NBT hasn't proven capable and reliable I'd just like to have one bullet for all my hunting deer to moose (the 150 NBT works ok on moose, just avoid the shoulder joint). I've yet to have a bullet from my 7mm Mag fail to kill deer quickly as long as I kept my shot into the vital bits.

I feel the 150 gr. Accubond would work for everything that you hunt. And like you said with similar shapes and such they just might shoot to roughly the same POI so you wouldn't have to adjust your scope back and forth from one to the other.

One 140 gr. Accubond out of my 280AI is what killed my grizzly bear last fall in the Brooks range.

that's helpful, thanks! I am limited to 300-400 yards just based on not having access to a range that offers anything further, but have aspirations of stretching that one day. The need i am trying to fill would be more in line with having something that can be effective sub 100 on whitetail as well as out to 400 on elk.
If you aspire to learn how to shoot past 400 yards then get the 7mm Rem Mag and you will hammer everything within 400 yards until you learn to shoot further. HSM makes factory ammo loaded with 168 Berger VLDs. That's the same bullet that Gunwerks, Red Rock Percision, and many other custom ammo/rifle makers load for their 7mm Rem Mags.

Back