7prc vs 6mm creedmoor

For all-around hunting up to 500 yards, the 6mm Creedmoor is an excellent choice, especially if you prioritize low recoil, accuracy, and barrel life.
If you want more versatility and the ability to take down larger game with more confidence at similar distances, the 6.5 PRC might be the better option despite the increased recoil and potential barrel wear.

6 Creed is no darling when it comes to barrel life.

Marshfly

WKR
I'm just trying to figure out if he's trolling or what's going down here. Lol 65cm is better than 6cm, coppers kill well.......feel like he's playing us!
Spomer insists that Barnes coppers are the best thing known to man and match bullets are a huge no-no for hunting. It's a joke.

But explain how 6.5CM is "better" than 6CM? Is it 0.5 better? Better because the bullet is slower? What is it?

khuber84

WKR
6 Creed is no darling when it comes to barrel life.
If you run a 65cm in the top node of 2850 with H4350 or rl16, they dont go much past 2500 either. Run a 6cm slower with H1000 or rl23 they last longe.
Spomer insists that Barnes coppers are the best thing known to man and match bullets are a huge no-no for hunting. It's a joke.

But explain how 6.5CM is "better" than 6CM? Is it 0.5 better? Better because the bullet is slower? What is it?
The 65 is not better, thats I'm saying. Spomer is prob a shill who's likely paid for his articles by who/what he's plugging. Solids suck, especially Barnes. Hammers are the only ones that expand, they're tipped now, but bc is still poor. Open tip, or poly tipped match bullets kill like the devil.

Marshfly

WKR
If you run a 65cm in the top node of 2850 with H4350 or rl16, they dont go much past 2500 either. Run a 6cm slower with H1000 or rl23 they last longe.
The 65 is not better, thats I'm saying. Spomer is prob a shill who's likely paid for his articles by who/what he's plugging. Solids suck, especially Barnes. Hammers are the only ones that expand, they're tipped now, but bc is still poor. Open tip, or poly tipped match bullets kill like the devil.
So tough to tell the fudds from the jokers online. LOL. Totally agree with all of that. On with the show.

*I effin hate TTSX's.

z987k

WKR
The apex bullets fragment and have pretty good bc. I loaded a few in 338 Fed and will probably eventually try them on something. I've tried almost every mono and I agree with you.

khuber84

WKR
The apex bullets fragment and have pretty good bc. I loaded a few in 338 Fed and will probably eventually try them on something. I've tried almost every mono and I agree with you.
Let us know how they perform! There are the badlands bulldozer2 bullets as well. Have heard good things on them. Apex asks for pretty fast twist for cal twist to shoot their heavy solids, fast enough twist you might be married to solids, that's a no go for me.

z987k

WKR
Let us know how they perform! There are the badlands bulldozer2 bullets as well. Have heard good things on them. Apex asks for pretty fast twist for cal twist to shoot their heavy solids, fast enough twist you might be married to solids, that's a no go for me.
I've used the hammers and badlands the most. Both have had the typical mono experience. Yes the badlands bullet don't have the BC of a barn door like the hammers, even with the tip, but they kill like a Barnes and that's not ideal to me.
I sometimes carry my 44mag lever in which case I really like the cutting edge handgun raptor.
I loaded some 200gr badlands and 200gr apex in my 338 Federal which both work in the 10 twist, but haven't even shot them yet. If I take either of those hunting it'll be the apex because I've shot things with the badlands.
This year the DRT bullets are going on my bigger hunting trip and I'm excited for seeing how those work. I've got them loaded up and ready to go in both a 270 and 6.5cm.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Spomer just did a video with a couple other elk guys talking about cartridges. They all started talking about 300wm, 338, and 7rm as preferred because of the energy and margin for error.

Then they spent 20 minutes trading stories about hitting elk in the vitals at near ranges with magnums the elk not even flinching when it got hit.......
I couldn’t finish that one, it was really bad, mainly because they told all those stories about all those mags in instances where they didn’t provide effective performance. It was really incredible how they said all those things, and then immediately gave a ton of examples not supporting the assertions. Super weird.

(NOP)

FNG
Get both. I love shooting a 17lb 6.5 w/ a can to build fundamentals. I shoot a 13.5lb 308 a lot for practice that's just enough recoil to learn recoil management. I shot my first elk this last year with a 11ish lb 7rm. I had no issues seeing impacts at practice out to 800, Elk was 230ish saw all 3 bullet impact shooting seated off a pack. (3 shots in the vitals, as slow and fast as i could make them until it was down. )

Just get out and shoot, small guns make you a better shooter, Big guns kill game better find the one you can be the most consistent with and get out there. Bullet selection is more important then cartridge imo. Bigger is better until it's not.

Duh

WKR
That would be great to see the recoil through your trigger cam. Thank you!
I got that video for you. I don’t have a YouTube but I can text the video to you I believe. Hit me up with your contact info and I’ll send it over.

Same goes for anyone that wants to see the difference with a 6 creed (Seekins PH2) to a 6.5 creed (Sig cross). I know they’re a little different in weight but I tried to shoot them in the same way. I still think the recoil advantage goes to the 6 creed by a good bit.

OP
Oregonhuntrboi
I got that video for you. I don’t have a YouTube but I can text the video to you I believe. Hit me up with your contact info and I’ll send it over.

Same goes for anyone that wants to see the difference with a 6 creed (Seekins PH2) to a 6.5 creed (Sig cross). I know they’re a little different in weight but I tried to shoot them in the same way. I still think the recoil advantage goes to the 6 creed by a good bit.
You the man! 5034206878

eric1115

WKR
The 6.5 PRC is an excellent cartridge for hunting larger game at similar distances due to its high velocity, superior energy retention, and precise accuracy. It offers better penetration and controlled expansion, ensuring effective wound channels on large animals like elk or moose. Compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor, the 6.5 PRC provides increased power, while maintaining manageable recoil and versatility across various hunting scenarios. Its popularity also ensures a good selection of rifles and ammunition, making it a reliable choice for hunters seeking a balance of power and precision.

Hope that will be helpful.

Was that written by ChatGPT?

tony

WKR
I listened to that Joe Von B and Spomer episode

Ron seemed to embrace the small caliber bullet better than the other two. Least that was my take.
They did mention the 6.8 western as one they all liked.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Heck yeah. I’ll have to check one of the polys out.
So poly 3 round LA “7 PRC” CIP length AICS mag (say that 10 times, ha) DOES fit in the XLR no problem.

Just tested feeding, and I’d agree the spring in the poly MDT mag is light, but it fed all three rounds through a couple cycles. Needs more field use and range time to see how it holds up over time. Out of the package it feeds.

1.9oz 3 round poly vs 8.3oz for a 5 round MDT metal mag……WAY smaller footprint.
IMG_4290.jpeg
IMG_4289.jpeg

So poly 3 round LA “7 PRC” CIP length AICS mag (say that 10 times, ha) DOES fit in the XLR no problem.

Just tested feeding, and I’d agree the spring in the poly MDT mag is light, but it fed all three rounds through a couple cycles. Needs more field use and range time to see how it holds up over time. Out of the package it feeds.

View attachment 740432
View attachment 740433
That’s a crazy weight savings. Thanks for sharing. Going to order one now.

View attachment 740432
View attachment 740433
Also, how long did you wait to get it from the time of ordering?