7mm rem mag ammo recommendations

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
So I found out my ammo is not recommended for elk and my barrel twist 1:9.5. Does anyone have any recommendations on ammo? I was looking at the federal trophy bonded tip 160 gr and the hornady eld-x 162 gr. I like that both have a high bc so will shoot pretty good. Anyone have any experience with these rounds and cartridge? I know a lot of people say federal bossier but I can barely find those below $100 a box…

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
What ammo was not recommended and how did it shoot in your gun?

I shoot with Barnes Vor-TX in 150 grain in my 7mm for everything I hunt.
Federal fusion 175 gr. The fusion I think is too soft for elk and the 175 gr is a little too heavy for the barrel twist

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
So I found out my ammo is not recommended for elk and my barrel twist 1:9.5. Does anyone have any recommendations on ammo? I was looking at the federal trophy bonded tip 160 gr and the hornady eld-x 162 gr. I like that both have a high bc so will shoot pretty good. Anyone have any experience with these rounds and cartridge? I know a lot of people say federal bossier but I can barely find those below $100 a box…
Ditto the others who said Barnes Vor-tx 150. Works great in both of my 7mm REM Mags.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Have you look at federal terminal ascent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw something about them. I was hoping for 160 gr for the elk. Is 155 gr on these terminal ascents good enough? I was told you want a heavy bullet. Apologies for all the questions this is my first season elk hunting as you can see I’m a FNG

SDHNTR

WKR
All hogwash. Stop listening to whoever told you that. The Federal Fusion is literally designed with a fused jacket and core, designed to penetrate and hold together. Since thousands of elk are killed every year with traditional cup and core bullets, which are considerably “softer”, your Fusions are just fine!

As always, shoot what shoots best in your gun and is a suitable bullet. If that’s a 175 Fusion, use it confidently on elk! We see this every year about this time, when people pick up their rifles for the first time in the last 51 weeks. No one can tell you what the best bullet is. And what one guy shoots well in his gun is totally irrelevant in yours. If you really want to experiment, you need to go buy several ammo types and shoot each for groups. Pick the one that shoots best.

Again, the rifle tells you what ammo is best. You don’t tell it. Listen to the gun, not other Bubbas.

Last edited:
OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
PSA is a solid site I've bought plenty of stuff from them including guns
I have a psa rifle as well, I was more referencing the price since I’d seen such high prices elsewhere. But now that 5811 enlightened me I understand. I can see clearly now

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
Stdhntr is 100% correct about letting the gun tell you what it likes I would personally try all of the types of ammo suggested if you can afford it and pick which ones shoots best.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
In your shoes, I'd use 155gr Terminal Ascent ammo from Federal if it shoots well in your rifle. $40 per box

SDHNTR

WKR
So you’re going to buy several boxes of untested ammunition online because the Internet told you to. Then when you find out your rifle hates it, and sprays bullets all over the place, what are you going to do with everything you just bought?

You’re doing it backwards. Go to a store and buy three types. One box of each. Then go to the range and see which type shoots the tightest groups, then, and only then, go back to the store and buy everything they have on the shelf of that type. Or then buy online.

Or better yet, stop wasting your time and money and choose what you have already tested and found to shoot well (right?), the 175 fusion.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
So you’re going to buy several boxes of untested ammunition online because the Internet told you to. Then when you find out your rifle hates it, and sprays bullets all over the place, what are you going to do with everything you just bought?

You’re doing it backwards. Go to a store and buy three types. One box of each. Then go to the range and see which type shoots the tightest groups, then, and only then, go back to the store and buy everything they have on the shelf of that type. Or then buy online.

Or better yet, stop wasting your time and money and choose what you have already tested and found to shoot well (right?), the 175 fusion.
My rifle doesn’t shoot them well. Asking other more experienced hunters for recommendations seems like a good idea rather than blindly buy any box of 7mm rem mag ammo that says it’s good for elk. I’m trying to see what has worked well for others and then test those to minimize the amount of money I waste. Elk hunting is expensive to get into and ammo isn’t getting any cheaper. I’m going to do what you said and get three boxes of each to test and then go from there. I’m also trying to fast track it so I can go sight in at 200 yards for my hunt in late October so I feel like time is running out for me lol

farmermail

Lil-Rokslider
My rifle doesn’t shoot them well. Asking other more experienced hunters for recommendations seems like a good idea rather than blindly buy any box of 7mm rem mag ammo that says it’s good for elk. I’m trying to see what has worked well for others and then test those to minimize the amount of money I waste. Elk hunting is expensive to get into and ammo isn’t getting any cheaper. I’m going to do what you said and get three boxes of each to test and then go from there. I’m also trying to fast track it so I can go sight in at 200 yards for my hunt in late October so I feel like time is running out for me lol
Common theme of this thread and your previous thread is sorting out what shoots well out of your gun. It seems you are approaching things right, trying different ammo (which is downright expensive). If you buy online or at a store, it is all expensive regardless. If I were in your shoes:
  • Stick around the 160 grain bullet weight. Plenty for elk. Don't worry if you need to drop to 150 grain if that is all there is available.
  • Don't get hung up on BC and all that. Sounds like you don't necessarily envision shooting past 300 yards or so. If that is true, BC really means nothing inside of 300 yards with a 7mm Mag. If not true, well, so many other things to think through.
  • Bullet style/type, well, there are about a million opinions on that. Bottom line: A well placed shot trumps just about everything, so get something that shoots well out of your gun.
    • What do I use regarding bullets? I am a fan of cup/core style bullets. Haven't gotten onboard the mono train (yet?).
    • Best friend who kills a lot of elk, 100% on the monolithic train (Barnes and Hammer). So there is that.