7mm PRC - Savage 110 Ultralight or Christensen Mesa?

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the same 3... Savage, Christensen & Fierce but I wanted lefty. I kept ratcheting up my budget but I didn't think the quality was going up to match. When I looked @ reviews Savage had the highest marks but that's probably in part due to the lowest expectations. I also wanted to handle each of them and that was a challenge. I didn't like the stock of the Christensen - that was the only one I could find locally ... However I too totally blew through my budget and ordered a McWhorter after attending their LR school, shooting their rifles and handling the different options. Hitting targets @ 1000yrds was a $2-3k sales pitch that worked.....

I'd throw TIka in the mix too. For me w/your 3 I'd probably do Savage and change the stock if it bothered me b/c I'd want to change the stock on the Christensen too. Savage seems like the most bang for the buck

Last edited:
OP
PhantomMuley
I was looking at the same 3... Savage, Christensen & Fierce but I wanted lefty. I kept ratcheting up my budget but I didn't think the quality was going up to match. When I looked @ reviews Savage had the highest marks but that's probably in part due to the lowest expectations. I also wanted to handle each of them and that was a challenge. I didn't like the stock of the Christensen - that was the only one I could find locally ... However I too totally blew through my budget and ordered a McWhorter after attending their LR school, shooting their rifles and handling the different options. Hitting targets @ 1000yrds was a $2-3k sales pitch that worked.....

I'd throw TIka in the mix too. For me w/your 3 I'd probably do Savage and change the stock if it bothered me b/c I'd want to change the stock on the Christensen too. Savage seems like the most bang for the buck
Ha, yeah I'd like to shoot mine, too. Hi have a T3x Lite that I like a lot, but since I've got the cash burning a hole in my pocket...

Another vote for Seekins. I was just talking with my buddy that toured their factory, they make everything. Extremely high quality, and their customer service is unmatched. He actually has several Christensen's and said he'd return them tomorrow for a PH2.

He also told me he'd take his Seekins over a $5-6000 custom rifle some of his buddies were hunting with. I know what my next rifle will be for sure.

OP
PhantomMuley
Another vote for Seekins. I was just talking with my buddy that toured their factory, they make everything. Extremely high quality, and their customer service is unmatched. He actually has several Christensen's and said he'd return them tomorrow for a PH2.

He also told me he'd take his Seekins over a $5-6000 custom rifle some of his buddies were hunting with. I know what my next rifle will be for sure.
Thanks man. I actually went with the Seekins. I’m in CA waiting for the 10-day hold to expire so haven’t shot it yet. I’m waiting not so patiently until I can pick it up.

I just bought a Browning X-Bolt Speed in 7mm PRC and this is the 3 shot, 200 yard group I am getting using Hornady 175 ELD-X. I have not shot it through a chrono yet to see what I am getting with the 24" barrel. For a factory rifle shooting factory ammo I am very happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_4086.jpg
    IMG_4086.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 82

Mojave

WKR
I am a Blaser snob and I would buy a Savage before anything Christensens.

I have also sent Christensens back for quality control issues, and their customer service sucked.

Savage customer service is perfect.

I just bought a Browning X-Bolt Speed in 7mm PRC and this is the 3 shot, 200 yard group I am getting using Hornady 175 ELD-X. I have not shot it through a chrono yet to see what I am getting with the 24" barrel. For a factory rifle shooting factory ammo I am very happy with it.
I just got the 20” barrel model. I will take it out in a couple weeks to test out that same ammo as well as the 160gr cx ammo

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I heard enough about poor QC to dissuade me. Glad I went with the Seekins.
I know you already made a purchase and congrats on the Seekins. I don’t own one but I’ve heard great stuff about them. I have a CA Mesa in 6.5CM and a Savage Ultralight in 280 AI. Maybe I just got lucky but they are both very accurate.

Neither are real pretty, but they are working rifles, so I wouldn’t feel too bad dropping them off a hillside. No issues at all with the CA. The Savage shipped with a trigger pull below 1 lb, and kept misfiring until I figured that out. After that, both are sub .500 moa with a few handload recipes.

MthwSdmn

FNG
I recently bought a nosler 21 in 6.5 prc. Super happy with it. If I were going to pick up a 7 prc today, I’d go Seekins. Never handled one, but have heard so many endorsements from people who i trust and can’t remember anyone online or elsewhere raising a QC complaint.

ZKPete

FNG
I got a bonus at work and am looking to treat myself to a new mountain rifle in 7mm PRC. Can’t decide between the Savage 110 Ultralight and the Christensen Mesa FFT.

I like the barrel and accuracy of the Savage but am a little concerned about the cheaper stock and that the magazine supposedly only holds two rounds (although I heard with certain other cartridges like the 6.5 PRC it will actually fit there in the mag). I like the stock, weight, and action of the Christensen but have heard they sometimes have accuracy and quality control issues.

I could also just blow the whole bonus and get a Fierce Rogue.

Please, guys, a little help?
Christensen has been great for me. it is shooting 1/2" MOA with hand loads. My only complaint is the cleaner I get the barrel the wider my groups get. I usually only shoot 75-100 rounds a year so one cleaning and then it stays as is for the season.

Lewichris

FNG
Thanks, guys. I was leaning Savage, too. Would love to hear from anyone who’s had a 110 Ultralight in 7 PRC and whether the mag holds 2 or 3 rounds.
Hey, i have one. The mag holds 2. Just found my load this last weekend. Pretty excited to use it this year.

BoneZone1

FNG
I got a bonus at work and am looking to treat myself to a new mountain rifle in 7mm PRC. Can’t decide between the Savage 110 Ultralight and the Christensen Mesa FFT.

I like the barrel and accuracy of the Savage but am a little concerned about the cheaper stock and that the magazine supposedly only holds two rounds (although I heard with certain other cartridges like the 6.5 PRC it will actually fit there in the mag). I like the stock, weight, and action of the Christensen but have heard they sometimes have accuracy and quality control issues.

I could also just blow the whole bonus and get a Fierce Rogue.

Please, guys, a little help?
I own the Savage 110 ultralite in 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC. they both fit 3+1.
Also The guns both shoot lights out even out to 1500 yards which is as far as i have taken them. My suggestion if you are worried about the stock is to get a stock Vg2. its a carbon stock that is actually lighter than the factory ultralight stock. you can find the 7PRC from savage for about $1350-$1450. the stock is $600. it requires little to no modifications. now for around $2000 you have a very accurate light gun that feels as sturdy as it gets. I was going to get a CA or fierce but i have several buddies who have them in various calibers and they all struggle with accuracy. one of my buddies actually sold his CA to get savage after shooting mine. just my opinion. and anyone saying the trigger on the savage is not good it absolutely insane cuz the trigger is awesome. the action could be better but you can get that altered if you dont like it.

Elite

WKR
My savage ultralight 30-06 shoots extremely accurate. 5 shot moa easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lewichris

FNG
I own the Savage 110 ultralite in 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC. they both fit 3+1.
Also The guns both shoot lights out even out to 1500 yards which is as far as i have taken them. My suggestion if you are worried about the stock is to get a stock Vg2. its a carbon stock that is actually lighter than the factory ultralight stock. you can find the 7PRC from savage for about $1350-$1450. the stock is $600. it requires little to no modifications. now for around $2000 you have a very accurate light gun that feels as sturdy as it gets. I was going to get a CA or fierce but i have several buddies who have them in various calibers and they all struggle with accuracy. one of my buddies actually sold his CA to get savage after shooting mine. just my opinion. and anyone saying the trigger on the savage is not good it absolutely insane cuz the trigger is awesome. the action could be better but you can get that altered if you dont like it.
How did you get the bolt to open all the way with three in the mag without damaging the brass. No matter what i did with both my 7 and 6.5 prc having the third in there would not allow the mag to go in the gun, or allow you to open the bolt far enough to get the round to load. I guess there are some variances to consider for future buyers.

However three will fit in the mag. But with mine the gun wont function.

bmart2622

WKR
Are there aftermarket mags that would allow you to carry 3 down? An Ultralight in a VG2 would be an awesome gun