7mm PRC - Savage 110 Ultralight or Christensen Mesa?

I got a bonus at work and am looking to treat myself to a new mountain rifle in 7mm PRC. Can’t decide between the Savage 110 Ultralight and the Christensen Mesa FFT.

I like the barrel and accuracy of the Savage but am a little concerned about the cheaper stock and that the magazine supposedly only holds two rounds (although I heard with certain other cartridges like the 6.5 PRC it will actually fit there in the mag). I like the stock, weight, and action of the Christensen but have heard they sometimes have accuracy and quality control issues.

I could also just blow the whole bonus and get a Fierce Rogue.

Please, guys, a little help?

LightFoot

WKR
My experience with Savage has been great, including the Ultralite.

My experience with Christensen is less than adequate.

Between the two, I would go with the Savage because I would expect it to shoot much better.

However….

I bit the bullet and got a Gunwerks 7mm PRC.

If I had it to go over again, I’d go with an Unknown Munitions Tikka build in 7mm PRC. It’s a Tikka with a new barrel and dropped in a McMillan stock for $3K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
PhantomMuley
Thanks, guys. I was leaning Savage, too. Would love to hear from anyone who’s had a 110 Ultralight in 7 PRC and whether the mag holds 2 or 3 rounds.

Unckebob

WKR
I got a bonus at work and am looking to treat myself to a new mountain rifle in 7mm PRC. Can’t decide between the Savage 110 Ultralight and the Christensen Mesa FFT.

I like the barrel and accuracy of the Savage but am a little concerned about the cheaper stock and that the magazine supposedly only holds two rounds (although I heard with certain other cartridges like the 6.5 PRC it will actually fit there in the mag). I like the stock, weight, and action of the Christensen but have heard they sometimes have accuracy and quality control issues.

If you don't like the stock, Savage's slightly heavier Accustock is stiffer than the the stock that comes on the Ultralight.

I was in a similar boat and able to find a Mesa FFT in store. I was very impressed with the build quality and weight (for the price). Interestingly, I had been told by a local shop that they had to send back a few of the FFT models due to issues with the carbon stocks. No issues with the cheaper Mesa stocks though. I handled the Savage Ultralight with the proof barrel. My initial thought was that it felt cheap? Honestly because of the stock, the barrel is awesome and comes from a very reputable company.

Where I landed in the rifle search? The Seekins Precision Havak Element. It’s expensive, but after reading reviews and calling Seekins to talk about their warranty I was pretty sold!

OP
PhantomMuley
I was in a similar boat and able to find a Mesa FFT in store. I was very impressed with the build quality and weight (for the price). Interestingly, I had been told by a local shop that they had to send back a few of the FFT models due to issues with the carbon stocks. No issues with the cheaper Mesa stocks though. I handled the Savage Ultralight with the proof barrel. My initial thought was that it felt cheap? Honestly because of the stock, the barrel is awesome and comes from a very reputable company.

Where I landed in the rifle search? The Seekins Precision Havak Element. It’s expensive, but after reading reviews and calling Seekins to talk about their warranty I was pretty sold!
Damn another vote for Seekins. Never even considered them. I’ll check them out! Thanks.

Damn another vote for Seekins. Never even considered them. I’ll check them out! Thanks.
Sure thing. I didn’t want to land on a gun that expensive, but man that gun chose me! A friend, who is also on here, has one that I messed with and I was blown away with the overall fit, finish and quality. The weight is crazy light, which people have their opinions on though. Big thing for me is a company’s reputation and warranty, Seekins just has it. I spent some time on the phone with them, good conversation about their product and process. Long story short, they back their product no matter what, which echoes what I’ve read about here and other forums. Take care!

WILDMULEY

FNG
I have a savage ultralight in 6.5 prc. Barrel is great but that’s all. Action isn’t very smooth and stock is cheaper and trigger is average. That being said it shoots great with factory ammo. One of the better rifles I’ve had shooting wise.

I also have a CA Mesa in 28 noslor. It had issues with the mag and had to send it back. It also has issues with certain brands of ammo with a tight bolt close and open and I’ve had rounds not even go in. As far as the gun goes it’s feels a lot better than the savage and does shoot great with the right setup of ammo.

I think it will depend on personal preference in my opinion.

Weldor

WKR
Had a fft good no problems, didn't care for the stock.Have savage 308 predator 18" cf barrel shots lights out. Also have Fierce fury (canadian made SS long action) 6.5 prc and Carbon Rogue in 6.5 prc (short action). No compliants .

One more opinion that lands on the side of Seekins. While I have no doubt that the Savage will perform to your standards, the options that the Seekins rifles come with and the overall reputation of the company swing me in that direction. It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

One more opinion that lands on the side of Seekins. While I have no doubt that the Savage will perform to your standards, the options that the Seekins rifles come with and the overall reputation of the company swing me in that direction. It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend.
For me it really has been 1. The vast majority of what I’ve read has been a nod to their quality (and accuracy). And 2. If it’s not, their warranty is fantastic. Not sure what else I’d want out of a lightweight hunting rifle, although I prefer the element for the weight savings which adds a bit to the price. They’re also somewhat local to me 🤘🏼

OP
PhantomMuley
I have a savage ultralight in 6.5 prc. Barrel is great but that’s all. Action isn’t very smooth and stock is cheaper and trigger is average. That being said it shoots great with factory ammo. One of the better rifles I’ve had shooting wise.

I also have a CA Mesa in 28 noslor. It had issues with the mag and had to send it back. It also has issues with certain brands of ammo with a tight bolt close and open and I’ve had rounds not even go in. As far as the gun goes it’s feels a lot better than the savage and does shoot great with the right setup of ammo.

I think it will depend on personal preference in my opinion.
Yeah this is helpful, thanks. I think I'd rather have the less smooth but more reliable action of the Savage.

5204post

FNG
Classified Approved
Check Seekins out, if you want to save some cash look at the PH2, they are amazing rifles, amazing company, and back their stuff 100%. It a little more than a plain Mesa and ultralight but you won’t regret it. Plus has a better trigger than the savage and there’s nothing you’d want to do from it other than scope it up and go. I love my Seekins and I’ll never go back. I have Christensen’s as well and they are nice but the Seekins is the best rifle I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Seekins is amazing for the money, far above Savage or Christensen.

That said, I've shot a couple of the Savage ultralight. And, the barrel is a Proof and they shoot. You'll need to get a new stock, IMO.

Christensen has its reputation for the occasional lemon, but the one I have shot was very good.