7mm-08 all around hunting load

Marble

WKR
I'm in CA so I shoot all copper out of my 7-08. My gun is a savage 110. I shoot the 140 grain Barnes TTSX. 47.5 grains of big game at 2965 fps. I think the spread was around 9 FPS. I have a Magento speed chrono and just measured it last week. I was a little surprised with the vehicle got.

Interesting that through my wife's 7-08, with a 2" shorter barrel, the same load shoots 2805 FPS.

We have four 7-08 rifles and one in 7-08 AI. They have all been fairly easy to devlope lands for and are appropriately sized for blacktail, black bear and pigs.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm in CA so I shoot all copper out of my 7-08. My gun is a savage 110. I shoot the 140 grain Barnes TTSX. 47.5 grains of big game at 2965 fps. I think the spread was around 9 FPS. I have a Magento speed chrono and just measured it last week. I was a little surprised with the vehicle got.

Interesting that through my wife's 7-08, with a 2" shorter barrel, the same load shoots 2805 FPS.

We have four 7-08 rifles and one in 7-08 AI. They have all been fairly easy to devlope lands for and are appropriately sized for blacktail, black bear and pigs.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Man that's cruising for a 140 out of a 7mm-08. But some barrels are just fast and I've come across a few Savage barrels that were really fast for whatever reason.

AkRyan

WKR
IMG_20221129_093850.jpg
Make that 2 kills for the 150g eldx 7mm08! My wife took this 4yr old cow at 60yrds with a heart shot. No exit and we found the jacket in her chest plate.
Next spring we will be putting many bullets to the test over our bait stations. I'm hoping to shed the light on the capabilities of this great cartridge to all the magnum folks or the 800yrd "hunters" .

jpmulk

WKR
As im in the process of going to a 7-08 from 7 mag, im heavily considering the eldx. I shot the eldx in the 7mag and was only ever impressed by it. Id assume the same out of the 7-08.

Anyone have any catastrophic failures with the eldx? Ive heard stories of failures trying to shoot through a front shoulder. This would make sense depending on speed and due to the bullet construction.

JGRaider

WKR
At 7-08 velocities I'm betting the ELDX would be fine. Nevertheless, as long as I have 140 AB's and 120 BT's I have no need for ELDX.

jpmulk

WKR
Accubonds sound awesome by everyone who use them. However, they are more expensive and much harder to find.

AkRyan

WKR
As im in the process of going to a 7-08 from 7 mag, im heavily considering the eldx. I shot the eldx in the 7mag and was only ever impressed by it. Id assume the same out of the 7-08.

Anyone have any catastrophic failures with the eldx? Ive heard stories of failures trying to shoot through a front shoulder. This would make sense depending on speed and due to the bullet construction.
They work just like and cup and core aka non bonded bullet. Complete separation on both moose we shot but they were under 100yrds and both hit rib

140 Accubonds and RL-17 for me. Deadly and accurate combo, though I might experiment with a more temp stable powder and heavier bullet. Problem for me is max mag length restriction. May just experiment with Varget and H4350 with the Accubond.

140 Accubonds and RL-17 for me. Deadly and accurate combo, though I might experiment with a more temp stable powder and heavier bullet. Problem for me is max mag length restriction. May just experiment with Varget and H4350 with the Accubond.

If you’re talking about a Tikka, swap out the bolt stop for a long action, and use 30-06 mags. Easy peasy.