7mm-08 all around hunting load

AkRyan

WKR
For whatever reason, I never could get my 7mm-08 to shoot the 140 weight class to my liking (Sub MOA for 5 shots out to 300 yards). I do run 120gr Nosler BT at 3100 FPS out of a 22" Proof barrel that is 1/2 MOA out to 300 Yards if I do my part.

If I was going to start load development again on this rifle, I'd source some 150gr ELDX and go with it. Great combination of speed, trajectory and energy downrange.
The factory hornady 150eldx loads shoot great out of 3 tikkas I have. Also moose just lay over when you put one in the boiler room.

AKmatt

FNG
Getting 1/2 MOA with 140 accubonds under 48.5 grains of H4350 in my tikka. Right at 2900 fps

AkRyan

WKR
Getting 1/2 MOA with 140 accubonds under 48.5 grains of H4350 in my tikka. Right at 2900 fps
That mighty fast for h4350 in a 7-08! I would love to see this in action if your around the valley.

TN2shot07

WKR
I’ve been shooting factory Barnes (120 ttsx) out of mine, it didn’t care for the eldx loads. I’d be happy to try some 140 accubonds but they’re hard to come by!

Vern400

WKR
At the velocities you're going to be running with the 18 inch barrel with a 140 grain bullet there's little danger really of your bullets coming apart even if you use cup and core bullets like Sierra game Kings or Hornady ssts or interlocks.

On the other hand you do need to be concerned about your bullet initiating rapid expansion when it hits. If you use a mono, you better lighten it up to get velocity. And I would highly recommend that you test your bullets at the maximum range that you plan to shoot. If you shoot into a half gallon milk jugging it doesn't rip into multiple pieces and make a big thump your bullets aren't opening.

2 years ago I had some 150 grain 308 ballistic tips go through deer like a pencil. The exit hole was fractionally larger than the entry hole. I launched the bullet close to 2850 and I'm thinking it impacted it 2400 or above. Turns out some years ago they made the jacket a little thicker. They used to blow up 20 years ago. Like rip the opposing shoulder off aggressive. MAN they shoot straight, but that's the first time in many years I've lost a deer because of bullet performance. That's why I shot two. The second time I had a dog ready and she found it.
I'm not bashing what anybody loves I'm just saying if you don't test performance at range... Well, it's like a box of chocolates.

Highbrass

FNG
The factory hornady 150eldx loads shoot great out of 3 tikkas I have. Also moose just lay over when you put one in the boiler room.
I have experimented with quite a few 7-08 handloads with many multiples of projectiles and powder.
The 150 ELDX & a good charge of Big game is accurate and reasonably zippy (2750 2800)
This load splits the difference with speed and weight .

grfox92

WKR
162gr ELDM with a basic load with basic powders gets you a 600 yard gun for any north american game animal.

The bullets are always available, varget, IMR4895 and 4350 are readily available.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Highbrass

FNG
I have experimented with quite a few 7-08 handloads with many multiples of projectiles and powder.
The 150 ELDX & a good charge of Big game is accurate and reasonably zippy (2750 2800)
This load splits the difference with speed and weight .
While I really love 7-08 and it really is a favorite, I got that bug...you know that one where you always want just a lil bit more. I really looked hard at going the AI route with the 7-08. It still seems a bit anemic.
I decided to try the koolaid so to speak. I may regret it, but I ordered a barrel in 284 Winchester. Brass and dies are a bit hard to come by, BUT I think 284 may be what I had hoped 7-08 would be.

I recently bedded my Model 7. The Varget loads I was using don't seem to group very good anymore. I decided to go back to the books and try some other powders. I went to the range yesterday with 120 gr. TTSX loaded with IMR4895 and CFE 223. Found two loads that were fantastic with each powder. The CFE gave the tightest group with 3 shots in the same hole, but that load was only going 2730 (ish) FPS. The 4895 load with slightly larger, but still well under 1". That load was traveling 2980FPS. Considering FPS, Accuracy, temperature stability and all other factors, which powder would you load with for upcoming rifle season?

chris