7 to 10 day backpack

dru88

FNG
What does everyone think is the appropriate cubic inch for a 7 to 10 day alpine hunt. Also is there certain brands that cinch down to a day pak better than others. I would like to buy one bag for both long hunts and day hunts.

zacattack

WKR
Look at the hoodlum or Ma deuce from kifaru. The AMR , while no longer in production, is also great in that size range and used ones come up from time to time.

Marble

WKR
From Kifaru, any of their packs can collapse into a day pack. For size, the packs already mentioned and others in the 6 to 8000 ci category will work.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I like my kifaru reckoning. I’ve only used it for a 4 day trip, but there was plenty of room left. The guide lid adds a lot more room and organization. Not the lightest pack out there but probably the toughest and very versatile. Once camp was set up it cinched down pretty small for hunting out of. I used the guide lid only for things I didn’t plan on hunting with so it was easy to unclip and leave at camp saving weight and bulk while still keeping everything organized.

Rokwiia

WKR
Seek Outside 6,300 in either breakaway or integrated. Add a top lid and pouches to your hipbelt. I think that comes in around ~130L without considering the water-bottle pockets.

All of that in a package that weighs less than 5lbs in XPAC and even lighter in SpectraGrid.

*zap*

WKR
Kifaru amr if you want to be able to have pockets and a few smaller pouches on the bag. My amr is currently on a SG frame which was no problem at all.

SG sky guide 7400 which I have never tried but would like very much to try....

Pdzoller

WKR
I’ll have too go with the Beartooth also. I love the organization and durability. It is a bit heavy compared to some. I have three years and multiple seasons in it. It will carry more than I can. Maybe on the small side for a 10 day hunt.

If you hunt in super rainy conditions like the PNW I’d really look into the Seek packs. Rain flies and most packs just can’t handle that much weather.

Jbxl20

WKR
EXO k3 6400. The 4800 would probably work as well if your only carrying 3 or 4 days worth of food at a time. Either will cinch down small for a day pack.

OP
D

dru88

FNG
Thanks for all the replies guys. It is giving me a good starting point of bag sizes to start to really look hard into.

Pdzoller

WKR
Thanks for all the replies guys. It is giving me a good starting point of bag sizes to start to really look hard into.
Most of us have been in the same boat. I would also recommend hitting up one of the sportsman’s shows or something similar so you can try on some different brands.

Boblee

FNG
I don't have that many packs to compare , mostly ilbe,filbe, a MR, and the ma deuce , inhavent had the ma deuce for long at all so take this with a grain of salt if you wish but I can't imagine the ma deuce not being great for trips that long , I think I'll be able to 5 or 6 days and if successful be able to expand it out enough to put the deboned deer right in the pack and not use the meat shelf.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
at least 6000 cubic inch capacity, ten days of food takes up a large volume; either the 6900 or 7900 from SG would be sufficient

I like the dual zipped pockets on the 6900- can balance out weight pretty easy with two identical pockets; add their Access bag and you have 7900 capacity :)