Leupold 12-40 spotter

Hey guys, new to spotting scopes. I have done my fair share of elk and mule deer hunting, and have decided I need a spotting scope. I have always just run a pair of 12 power binos, but with a recent move to Wyoming (Colorado boy) there is a lot more open space here.

I've been looking at the 12-40 gr hd Leupold spotter because of it's weight. I do mostly alpine hunts but hope to get into some antelope. Does this scope make sense for mostly alpine? Will the lower power be a short coming, or does the higher clarity make it work?

Thanks everyone, have a great day!

I'd call the Leupold GR 12-40 x 60 HD average optically with great eye relief if you wear glasses. Compact frame for the lens size and has decent armoring. Weight as you mention isn't bad. The 12X feature is great, but with 12X binos, maybe not as useful to you (I used it a lot). 40X top is OK too given heat waves and wind in WY.

I never had or used a phone scope with mine, but suspect you could, greatly increasing the usefulness of your spotter for sizing up distant game. Might see if there are any known compatibility issues with that scope and taking digital photos.

My inclination would be to compare with other brands that might be superior optically for similar dollars. I never missed my Leupold after buying a Swaro for 2.5X as much money.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
I've used one forever. They're really great scopes for the money. They weigh next to nothing, but the shape does make them a little awkward in the backpack. As an eyeglass wearer, the extra eye relief is great. I also enjoy the low end being 12 power. It makes it easy to scan hillsides with while staying steady.

I just ordered an STC, so I will probably have my Leupold listed here next week. If you do decide you want one, feel free to send me an offer on mine.

Beendare

WKR
I would look at one of the many side by side comparison vids out there…I think you will find that Leopold lacking compared to others.

wytx

WKR
We have the older non HD version. Not a bad scope at all. Nice and light, not near to our Swaro but still very usable. When weight is a factor it goes in the pack instead of the Swaro.
Get a good, stable tripod. Don't go cheap on that either.

Jake_h223

FNG
My best advice is to pick up the Leupold along With a couple other brands and compare. Don’t just look in store or broad daylight. Take them out and compare at low light in real world conditions. Pick a model you’re happy with the size and weight and then the best optics to your eye. I agonized for years before doing this and was glad I did.

Overdrive

WKR
Always been happy with mine, I don't have the HD version but 12-40 GR. I pack mine daily and it's nice and compact and light. It does the job I need it to. I've always been a believer that optics are really personal, there isn't one optic out there that works for everyone, especially in the clarity and low light conditions. I've seen so many people struggle with low and high dollar optics over the years, but they've just bought them because of the name on the side.