7 saum opinions

ID_Matt

WKR
My thoughts on my 7 SAUM- the 168 Berger or 162 eldm works great in a Short Action (Wyatt’s box) the 180 hybrid Berger is ok, the 175 eol is probably the limit though. The 180 eldm with its large bearing is a bit much.

I have used H4831 with great results. H1000 was touchy on pressure. R23 was good on speed. I just found some R26 haven’t tried it yet.

I don’t understand people putting a SA cartridge in a LA- you are actually wasting space! And feeding issues. Why not go with a 28 Nosler, or 7 LRM/Blaser or even a 7 RUM! Will be faster even in a short barrel.

On the XM length a 7 wsm makes more sense- will gain capacity for about 10 gr more of powder and at least 100-200 fps with less pressure

I do like the 7saum on the SA works great with a 160 class bullet
I did mine in a long action and run 175's. No feeding issues. I did it in a long action so I didn't have to be limited on seating depth. I did not do a 28 nosler or a 7 RUM because I didn't want the barrel burning speed or recoil or extra 40% in powder. I wanted a nice mellow cartridge that was easy to tune and easy on brass/barrels. An extra .7" in bolt throw and 2 ounces doesn't bug me too much. Wasting space? Maybe... but that argument can be made for a lot of things... 300 Win... why not a 300 RUM? 7 rem mag... why not 28 nosler? 6.5 PRC... why not 6.5-300?? All comes down to wants/needs.

Thanks to all! Everyone is very helpful. I do know that there are some chassis and stocks that accept a medium action but I really like that hnt26! I also thought the same about the long action, it just opens up a whole category of other caliber options. I like short actions and the a shorter barrel and the 7 saum just seems like it gets you the velocity better than most with a shorter barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why not build it on a tikka action?
I have two semi custom tikkas, one a 16" 6.5 saum, and recently an 18" 7-300 wsm improved.
The tikkas with mountain tactical magazines are beautiful feeding 3.2" short mags.

OP
S
Well to be honest, I do like the tikka action and have had a few but have built a few other rifles on the origin action and am working to have only that. I have one different custom rifle now that I think I am going to try to sell to fund this project. Really just trying to keep everything the same and compatible.

fatbacks

WKR
I really like my 7 SAUM - very accurate and easy to load for. I built mine around a defiance short action with the extended wyatt's box... later changed over to the Hawkins Hunter flush magazine. The rifle seemed to like the 175 ELDX and am loading it at just under 3" OAL - this stuffs the bullet down in the case a little bit. I am not loading it super hot so not sure if that makes a difference.

If you are going short action I would consider the Hawkins hunter DBM and magazine. Way better feeding than the wyatt's box.

Last edited:
OP
S
Thanks for all the good info. I think I have made up my mind that I’m going to start piecing it together

MHWASH

WKR
My question is; if using a long action, why the 7saum over the 280 AI? I assume that velocities would be similar and that the 280AI would feed better?

SouthPaw

WKR
My question is; if using a long action, why the 7saum over the 280 AI? I assume that velocities would be similar and that the 280AI would feed better?
With the 280AI and the heavy long bullets, you can run into COAL issues for magazine use in some platforms like the Tikka. Feeding shouldn't be an issue with either if you have the mag and bolt stop set up properly.

Ucsdryder

WKR
7saum has a shorter case so you get more room to load long, especially in something like a tikka.

7saum is better for the 20” barrels.

7saum is more efficient, less powder to achieve same speeds.

Something about that little stubby case with a big bullet sticking out just loooks cool. 😆

MHWASH

WKR
I ask because I've got a Remington 78 .270 that I'd like to rebarrel at some point. Originally I was thinking 280 AI, but not too sure now.

OP
S
The 7saum just seems to check a lot of boxes and still be in the shorter side

FLS

WKR
I have one, my second. I didn’t learn my lesson the first time. 7 Mag light you cant find ammo or brass for. If you can, it’s usually ridiculously high.

Last edited:

rootacres

WKR
I didn't read all the posts to see if the ship already sailed but . . . I have a 7 SAUM with an Origin SA and a 22" Proof Sendero. You won't get to the lands on a SA. With a slightly larger DBM you can get to 2.955". That won't be enough but it'll be closer (w/ the 168s). I am running a BDL in mine, limiting me to 2.860". With 143 gr Hammers loaded out to 2.855" I am about .040 off. I have some 168 VLDs, once I get my custom die I am going to load some of them up. In the past, when I had a 7 WSM I used the berger classic hunters. Theres a slight concession on the BC but you will get to the lands in a SA with those no issue. The bighorn medium action may be a great route for you. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Firestone

WKR
Well
I am debating building a 7 saum and have some questions. Components would be an origin action, proof sendero, mdt hnt26. Probably would run it suppressed. I think I would like to go with Berger 168 or possibly 180. Would I be able to load them to the lands in a short action? I am thinking probably 22” proof carbon but possibly 24” if it makes a big difference. I would definitely prefer a short action but would go long if I had to. Also what powders, brass, primers are people having best luck with and what velocities are you seeing?

Well how did it go. I am wanting to do a very similar build

OP
S
The rifle has been great so far. I actually only put it together about 2 months ago. Lucked out and had a buddy that bought 400 pieces of brass a few years ago and decided to go a different direction. So I snagged all of those otherwise I wouldn’t have even built it yet. I shot about 100 rounds to break it in and did some load development with h1000 and h4350 as that’s all I have. Would like to try rl 23 but no luck finding any. H4350 had great accuracy but was slow. I settled on 66gr of h1000. No pressure signs and slight compression but it shoots 1/2” groups at 2970 which I am really happy about! This is all with the 168 vld and I am able to load within .030 off the lands in a short action before I run in to mag length issues. Very happy with it so far. Chronoed it and had targets at 100 years increments to 650. Made one slight adjustment with muzzle velocity at 300 as it was a bit high and hit center on the rest. Had to move to another field to shoot farther and put a 10” plate at 934 yards and went 3 for 3. Very impressed so far.

The rifle has been great so far. I actually only put it together about 2 months ago. Lucked out and had a buddy that bought 400 pieces of brass a few years ago and decided to go a different direction. So I snagged all of those otherwise I wouldn’t have even built it yet. I shot about 100 rounds to break it in and did some load development with h1000 and h4350 as that’s all I have. Would like to try rl 23 but no luck finding any. H4350 had great accuracy but was slow. I settled on 66gr of h1000. No pressure signs and slight compression but it shoots 1/2” groups at 2970 which I am really happy about! This is all with the 168 vld and I am able to load within .030 off the lands in a short action before I run in to mag length issues. Very happy with it so far. Chronoed it and had targets at 100 years increments to 650. Made one slight adjustment with muzzle velocity at 300 as it was a bit high and hit center on the rest. Had to move to another field to shoot farther and put a 10” plate at 934 yards and went 3 for 3. Very impressed so far.

Want to sell 100 PCs of that brass lol? I helped a friend decide on 7 saum and now we can’t find Jack out there. I’ve resorted to considering loading 2x shot brass. It’s tough that it’s actually easier to find powder than brass.

codym

WKR
Just a little more on the 7 saum. Mines on a SR3 long action because that’s what I had and I hate length restrictions. Mines pushing the 180 Eldm at 3050 with h-1000. Easy recoiling super accurate. I couldn’t come close to that in my 280ai. Just center punched a nice coues at 730 last month. Very impressive cartridge

Attachments

• 3C484AF0-A4A2-4B1C-8F42-4EDC79C1D386.jpeg
    3C484AF0-A4A2-4B1C-8F42-4EDC79C1D386.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 60
  • C36DD451-3C45-4B43-95EA-AE6DD036058E.jpeg
    C36DD451-3C45-4B43-95EA-AE6DD036058E.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 59