7 Pin Slider

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the I use the spot hogg tommy hogg with 5 pins .All I can say is that the sight is outstanding thie adjustments in the field are instantaneous and presise,and plenty of room for long range practice .

rodney482

WKR
Same system as you Aron but I use a 4 pin vengence head... 50 yd being my slider.

J-Daddy

WKR
I ordered a 5 pin head for my Ascent yesterday...It's a Target version so I had to order some parts to convert it over but it's all on order.

Evan, do you have a picture of a CBE with a sight tape on it? I looked at their website and they look great but I can't tell where you would put your scale or where the pointer would be. I'm considering the tek hybrid or the tek hunter xl. Probably 5 pins for me.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My sight of choice is the G5 XR2. The XR2 only has two pins; one fixed and the other adjustable. I was originally looking for a seven pin sight because I enjoy shooting at longer ranges; therefore, I needed more than the five pin sight I had previously been using. After looking and trying several different seven pin sights, I came to the conclusion that a seven pin sight just wasn’t for me. With that many pins, the sight view is too busy and cluttered to suit my eye and I don’t want to be to be spending precious seconds during that moment of truth making sure I am on the correct pin.

The XR2 basically gives you the best of both worlds. You get the clean, uncluttered sight view of only two pins, but you also get the added advantage of having an adjustable pin for all of the longer distances. This in my opinion makes it a lot more versatile than a seven pin sight.

Just my $.02

But you'll take the time to adjust that other pin for most of your shots??? LOL!! Giving you a hard time David! To each his own, but that's why I shoot 7 pins - there are way too many situations where I don't have time to dial and it's tough to gap correctly with two pins. Also too many times when a deer might be moving when you draw - by the time he stops and offers a shot he might be plus or minus 20 yards.

I still run my Sure-Lock Lethal Weapon Maxx too. It's a great sight, but not quite as rugged as the Spot Hogg! It's on my other hunting rig though and has never let me down. I think I modified it by adding an extra pin so it's one of a kind with six pins!

Evan, I prefer to dial using my bottom pin - this keeps the level right there in plain view which I find critical on longer range shots. I also do not center the whole housing - I think your eye has a tendency to want things centered when viewing them - particularly when looking through a round aperture like a peepsight. I tend to drift toward centering the pin rather than the housing while aiming so I decided pretty quickly that the "jumbo peep - center the housing" thing wasn't for me.

J-Daddy

WKR
Coop, on your hunting rigs what size peep do you normally run??? I've always ran 3/16" peeps in the past with good luck, I find them to be a happy medium for me since I'm in Iowa and whitetail hunt alot & as you know with whitetails you get a lot of low light shots...But at the same time it doesn't hurt me much on long range stuff in practice and when we go out west hunting...This year I'm gonna run the Super Ball Pro Series peep which is a 3/16" with no aperture in it but the ability to go down in size with different apertures.

GOODGROUPER,

HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY CURRENT SET-UP. IT IS A LITTLE BIT AWAY FROM THE SIGHT I CAN GET YOU A BETTER ONE TOMORROW. I AM NOT A FAN OF THE XL SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THE SIZE OF THE HOUSING.

2012-01-06_20-57-48_579.jpg

CBE Tek-Hunter w/3rd axis adjustment block (4 pins)
Here is a close up of the yardage indicator and tape.
017.jpg

cmeier117

WKR
I know this is an old thread but what are you guys using for making your site tape on these sights? Is there a program you use?

J-Daddy

WKR
I know this is an old thread but what are you guys using for making your site tape on these sights? Is there a program you use?

I use the $15 TAPES program from thearcheryprogram.com
Print a scale tape, attach it to the sight, shoot in 2 marks at different distances, enter the numbers into the program and it builds you a sight tape...I've got more expensive programs but always end up using that one because it's fast and easy.

cmeier117

WKR
I use the $15 TAPES program from thearcheryprogram.com
Print a scale tape, attach it to the sight, shoot in 2 marks at different distances, enter the numbers into the program and it builds you a sight tape...I've got more expensive programs but always end up using that one because it's fast and easy.

That is cool. So you don't need your arrow speed, weight etc...

sk1

WKR
i also haven't missed due to choosing the wrong pin, but i just figure 5 pins is enough for me....i shoot the same sight but have the 5 pin slider....never tried a 7 pin.

that being said im out to 65 yards without having to adjust my sight like evan said

it's definately personal preference, some guys scream 7 is way too many and others that 5 isn't enough....but i do think the new multi-pin sliders are awesome if for nothing else than a finishing shot like your scenario, or for long range target practice to make yourself confident at 50 yards by practicing at 90

J-Daddy

WKR
That is cool. So you don't need your arrow speed, weight etc...

Nope...You just print the scale tape, put it on the sight, go to the range and shoot in 2 distance marks...I've found that the longer the better on the marks...
So it might end up like=
60yds=10 on the scale
80yds= 27 on the scale
Go back to the program and enter the numbers in the boxes, pick the font size & font color, starting yardage on the tape and ending "like with my 5 pin Ascent it'll start at 60yds and probably end at like 120yds" ..... When you get all that entered hit print and it builds your tape and prints it out...Cut it out and tape it on the sight. I just print mine out on regular old printer paper, cut it out as small as I can make it, put double sided tape on the back, line it up and stick it on there, then go back and cover it in a layer or two of clear packing tape.