7.3 R Value Overkill for Year Round Pad?

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
Now that Therm-a-rest has finally addressed the noise issue with the Xlite NXT and Xtherm NXT, I'm likely going one of those directions.
I've never used a pad over 4R at any time of year. Where I'm looking for some feedback, is the 7.3 R value on the Xtherm overkill if it's 50 degrees/summer camping or can you manage by venting the quilt? This pad will be used from CO spring turkeys, summer scouting, all the way through 3rd/4th season deer hunts at 0 F or lower. Currently have a Klymit Static V insulated, it's fine, will keep as a backup, but looking to switch it up.

Running 30 deg down quilt, 15 deg down bag, and 0 deg synthetic bag depending on weather.

Would you go Xtherm (7.3 R) or Xlite (4.3R) for a one trick pony, is the 7.3R noticeable overkill for summer?

*zap*

WKR
I would want a 7+ for cold and purchase a blem trail pro for when it was not very cold. Why wear out a high $ pad?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I tried an Xlite from a few years ago in the middle of July in the high country with my zero degree quilt and froze. Haven't had a problem with my Xtherm, but I use a Downmat 9 for anything past September.

Now that Therm-a-rest has finally addressed the noise issue with the Xlite NXT and Xtherm NXT, I'm likely going one of those directions.
I've never used a pad over 4R at any time of year. Where I'm looking for some feedback, is the 7.3 R value on the Xtherm overkill if it's 50 degrees/summer camping or can you manage by venting the quilt? This pad will be used from CO spring turkeys, summer scouting, all the way through 3rd/4th season deer hunts at 0 F or lower. Currently have a Klymit Static V insulated, it's fine, will keep as a backup, but looking to switch it up.

Running 30 deg down quilt, 15 deg down bag, and 0 deg synthetic bag depending on weather.

Would you go Xtherm (7.3 R) or Xlite (4.3R) for a one trick pony, is the 7.3R noticeable overkill for summer?
I haven't read all of the replies, so apologize if this is a repeat suggestion. I have the Xtherm (Reg/Wide) and use it all year. What I do adjust is what quilt/bag I run with it. For me it provides a little more versatility than having a ton of different pads. The only time I've ever been crazy hot was in Hell's Canyon...in July. Haha! I perrsonally don't think it would be overkill in 50F unless you're using it with a 0-degree bag with it.

OP
wannabemtnman

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the insights, this is what I was looking for. Would rather be warm and vent than be cold and not sleep. Xtherm it likely will be and run the Klymit if it's real hot.

I run an x therm all year, older model I think it’s the 6.9 r value, it’s been too warm for me on my early season hunts but I also pack a 20 degree bag, gonna get a 38 degree MLD spirit quilt for this year to help with the overheating issue on my early season hunts.

Amand

FNG
I recently purchased an xtherm and plan to run it year round based on other reviews. Seems easier to vary the weight of the quilt and being able to vent it.

I've been reading that they are still noisy; even in the new NXT series. I had an older gen xtherm and I returned it because of that. I just mentioned this in another thread, but I've had much better luck with Exped. The ultra 7R has an r value of over 7, and its pretty thick and comfortable. Only downside is its a little too heavy/bulky.

Currently I run an Exped Ultra 5R. 4.8-R value is good for me year round, except when there is snow on the ground. In that case I bring a thermarest Z Lite Sol, which is one of those cell foam pads and use it underneath the Ultra5R. I believe their combined R value is higher than the thermarest xtherms. This is a very versatile setup for me because I can save on weight and size in the warmer months and quickly turn it into a 4 season setup for snowy conditions.

Currently I run an Exped Ultra 5R. 4.8-R value is good for me year round, except when there is snow on the ground. In that case I bring a thermarest Z Lite Sol, which is one of those cell foam pads and use it underneath the Ultra5R. I believe their combined R value is higher than the thermarest xtherms. This is a very versatile setup for me because I can save on weight and size in the warmer months and quickly turn it into a 4 season setup for snowy conditions.
I have an Exped Ultra 5R as well, and I'm a big fan. I have used it with snow on the ground and it kept me warm enough. I was eyeballing the new NeoAir XTherm's, but it's a lot of coin to drop to save 5 or 6 ounces, especially when I'm happy with my current pad.

Cody111

FNG
I use 4.5R value pad all year and don't notice it being too hot in the summer, but more R value in the winter would be nice

x-them is the way to go. Just used it on a couple nights on the river. It was plenty warm out. Used my heavy woobie and I was just right.

Lando

WKR
I have an xtherm and an exped downmat and the exped is more comfortable, but also heavier.

JordanM

FNG
The new NXT is significantly quieter than the outgoing Xtherm. I have both in reg/wide. The dorito chip sound is now more like fresh tyvek. FYSA YMMV.

TXCO

WKR
I just got one in the REI anniversary sale. Looking forward to putting it to use. I was worried about the R value being too high but didnt feel the need to spend money twice.