6mm creedmoor or 6mm gt

SouthPaw

WKR
For those who shoot/hunt with the 6GT:

1. In a 24" barrel, could I comfortably get 2900ish fps handloading H4350 with the 109eldm in an optimized chamber without loading hot/compressed? Hodgdon shows 2972 at 62k with 38g, but most folks seem to be loading in the 35-37g range.

2. Does the GT case feed reliably, as in 100%, from factory Tikka mags in a T3x?

Thanks.

khuber84

WKR

1. In a 24" barrel, could I comfortably get 2900ish fps handloading H4350 with the 109eldm in an optimized chamber without loading hot/compressed? Hodgdon shows 2972 at 62k with 38g, but most folks seem to be loading in the 35-37g range.

2. Does the GT case feed reliably, as in 100%, from factory Tikka mags in a T3x?

Thanks.
1. 109s are gonna shoot best 2920-2940 with H4350, it's not hot, but I'd say it's medium warm psi levels, prob around 58-60k psi. Alpha ocd 6gt brass is very tough. I run 112s in my 24" short freebore chamber at 2910, and I was able to go all the way up to 3k fps before I found psi signs in case head, still no bolt lift.

For the long bearing 109eld, get the 170fb chamber, jump them 55k of so, I've found all eldm like to be 10k off, or back at 50-60k. They are more forgiving back at 55k, but not quite as precise, but they stay tuned there longer. If you have access to rl16, it will give you more velocity and lower pressure, however at the expense of quicker carbon buildup, especially in a suppressed barrel.

I have quite a bit of experience with the 6gt in comp/match settings, but have only killed game with my 22gt. I plan to run the 112s in the 6gt and 109 eldm in the 6cm this fall and put these bullets into game and see what they do. I was very pleased with the 108eh Berger performance last year from the 6cm at 3050mv.

2. I have a Tikka 6gt barrel that was on the womans rifle a few years back, but it was ran via aics mags, so no input there. I think it'd take a lil tuning honestly to get it 100% reliable. However from the M mags, it would do better than M+ as they are shorter.

Dustin B.

FNG
Alright I’m looking at building either a 6mm creedmoor or 6mm gt for the daughters first hunting rifle. Only reason I’m not looking at 243 is it seems these other two are easier to find brass anymore. So let’s hear the pros and cons of the 6mm creedmoor vs the 6mm gt. Will be a short barrel build no longer than 20” and being ran suppressed
I would personally choose 6mm creed but if the 6mm GT is something your interested in trying then I would choose it. 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 24 nosler, 6mm PPC, and 6.5 creed would also be great options. If your daughters are very recoil sensitive you may even want to try a .22 cal. I started deer hunting with a .223 and killed my first two bucks with it before moving on to a bigger rifle. .224 Valkyrie, 22-250, 220 swift, and .22 creedmoor are also good options. A lot of my friends and family members love the 22-250 for deer. Good luck choosing a cartridge!

SouthPaw

WKR
1. 109s are gonna shoot best 2920-2940 with H4350, it's not hot, but I'd say it's medium warm psi levels, prob around 58-60k psi. Alpha ocd 6gt brass is very tough. I run 112s in my 24" short freebore chamber at 2910, and I was able to go all the way up to 3k fps before I found psi signs in case head, still no bolt lift.

For the long bearing 109eld, get the 170fb chamber, jump them 55k of so, I've found all eldm like to be 10k off, or back at 50-60k. They are more forgiving back at 55k, but not quite as precise, but they stay tuned there longer. If you have access to rl16, it will give you more velocity and lower pressure, however at the expense of quicker carbon buildup, especially in a suppressed barrel.

I have quite a bit of experience with the 6gt in comp/match settings, but have only killed game with my 22gt. I plan to run the 112s in the 6gt and 109 eldm in the 6cm this fall and put these bullets into game and see what they do. I was very pleased with the 108eh Berger performance last year from the 6cm at 3050mv.

2. I have a Tikka 6gt barrel that was on the womans rifle a few years back, but it was ran via aics mags, so no input there. I think it'd take a lil tuning honestly to get it 100% reliable. However from the M mags, it would do better than M+ as they are shorter.
Fantastic data. Thank you very much.

Hopefully some others have used the GT case in a Tikka and can comment on feeding, but good call on the M vs M+.

Thanks.
I run a GT for my match rifle and it's fantastic for that application, however it will not feed reliably without GT specific mags from MDT.
For hunting, especially using a Tikka action, I'd go 6 creed every day of the week.

I've no desire for a 6GT hunting rifle over 6 creed but 22 GT is a different story vs 22 creed.. Would be cool if they fed well out of a tikka mag.

Last edited:
Id go CM because of the selection of factory ammo at the store if needed.

Interesting. Ammoseek lists almost 3 times as many places selling 6cm brass as 243.
And none of the the .243 in stock is quality brass. In a quick search I found Peterson, lapua, and alpha all in stock in 6 creed. As nostalgic as the .243 is for me 6 creed was an easy choice.

B23

WKR
I'm a 6 Creed fan. Currently have a shorty with a 9tw Proof and having another built with a 8tw ACE barrel for my daughter.

Unrelated but I don't quite understand why the 6GT was even created. It's so nearly the same with slight differences to the 6.5x47 Lapua why not follow Hornady's lead like they've done with the Creedmoor in keeping everything same same except for the caliber and just make both a 6 and 6.5x47 Lapua. Lapua says they can't keep up with production as it is but then they add new but nearly identical in performance cases and slow or stop production for others. I'll have to assume they know their business a lot better then me but for my way of thinking it would have been better if Lapua just started making 6x47 brass as well as 6.5x47 brass. At least you could neck up or down and use the same case for both cartridges and brass would be more available for both.

With a 20" or less barrel, the GT should have enough case to have little to no performance difference between the two. I'd say sixes. Unless you want to shoot factory ammo

khuber84

WKR
I've had no issues running 6/22gt from aw, ARC, aics Pmag in chassis or hawkins m5 hunter dbm. Mdt aics mags never would work well, likely why they now have a gt specific mag. The ARC aics mags have always been fantastic. My hnt26 came with a 5rd poly mag, no issues running 4 gt rounds in that. These have all been on crf ARC/Zermatt actions, that could be the difference. I like all the 6mm cases, br to my 6 Saum and all between minus that oddity of a belted -06 case.

khuber84

WKR
With a 20" or less barrel, the GT should have enough case to have little to no performance difference between the two. I'd say sixes. Unless you want to shoot factory ammo
My 22" 6cm has no problems outpacing my 24" gt by 100fps. So both at 20" I'd think it'd be the same difference with the gt's efficiency.

I'm a 6 Creed fan. Currently have a shorty with a 9tw Proof and having another built with a 8tw ACE barrel for my daughter.

Unrelated but I don't quite understand why the 6GT was even created. It's so nearly the same with slight differences to the 6.5x47 Lapua why not follow Hornady's lead like they've done with the Creedmoor in keeping everything same same except for the caliber and just make both a 6 and 6.5x47 Lapua. Lapua says they can't keep up with production as it is but then they add new but nearly identical in performance cases and slow or stop production for others. I'll have to assume they know their business a lot better then me but for my way of thinking it would have been better if Lapua just started making 6x47 brass as well as 6.5x47 brass. At least you could neck up or down and use the same case for both cartridges and brass would be more available for both.

There's plenty out there on why George and Tom created the 6 GT.

As far as Lapua making 6 GT brass vs 6x47 brass, that seems like a pretty easy decision just based on demand. I don't know if 6x47 is a standardized CIP or SAAMI cartridge but I dont think it is?

khuber84

WKR
There's plenty out there on why George and Tom created the 6 GT.

As far as Lapua making 6 GT brass vs 6x47 brass, that seems like a pretty easy decision just based on demand. I don't know if 6x47 is a standardized CIP or SAAMI cartridge but I dont think it is?
CIP yes, saami no. Kinda same boat as the 6xc. They're both great cartridges. Lapua X47 brass is some very tough stuff.