6mm creedmoor or 6mm gt

brockel

WKR
Alright I’m looking at building either a 6mm creedmoor or 6mm gt for the daughters first hunting rifle. Only reason I’m not looking at 243 is it seems these other two are easier to find brass anymore. So let’s hear the pros and cons of the 6mm creedmoor vs the 6mm gt. Will be a short barrel build no longer than 20” and being ran suppressed

Unckebob

WKR
Alright I’m looking at building either a 6mm creedmoor or 6mm gt for the daughters first hunting rifle. Only reason I’m not looking at 243 is it seems these other two are easier to find brass anymore. So let’s hear the pros and cons of the 6mm creedmoor vs the 6mm gt. Will be a short barrel build no longer than 20” and being ran suppressed

I have a 6CM ( target) and a 243 (hunting). 243 brass is easier to get.

Both rifles are accurate with the main difference being the 6CM can fire heavier bullets.

BTW - if you want something soft shooting, don't forget the 6ARC in a bolt gun. It is easy to form brass from 6.5 Grendel cases. It is my favorite 6mm.

Wrench

WKR
The creed is going to do 90% of what the gt does in an easier to feed package. I'm building myself a gt....but I feel like I can shoot the difference. If she's an MOA shooter, I'd roll creed. If she's a competitor....gt is what it is for a reason.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I built a 6GT as a competition rifle when the cartridge first came out. My son shoot a 6Creed at matches since 2018.

I am just in the process of building a 6mm hunting rifle. Given I have used both and have dies etc, for both those cases, I could have gone either way. But I think the 6Creed is the best choice. The Creed is very accurate and easy to shoot, but I think the little extra velocity of the Creed is a plus for hunting.

G37some

FNG
the creed and gt are basically the same, the creed pushes the same bullets 100-150 fps faster because it burns more powder. the gt will have better barrel life if that is important to you. you mention the barrel being no more than 20 inches which for me would lean me towards the creed since it can push the same bullet a bit faster. also, since its a hunting rifle build and not likely to see long strings of fire, the decreased barrel life is likely not an issue. in this scenario i would choose the creed.

Unckebob

WKR
Id go CM because of the selection of factory ammo at the store if needed.

Interesting. Ammoseek lists almost 3 times as many places selling 6cm brass as 243.

I don't think Ammoseek is a good choice to for 243 since the ammo/brass for 243 is so plentiful. I could have bought new Hornady brass at Cabelas yesterday in .243. Grafs has multiple 243 brass options including Lapua. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/650?

Plus, there is always (post pandemic) 243 ammo on the shelves as a source of brass. TargetSports USA has 7 factory 243 loads in stock. Cabelas had plenty.

i think they are both great cartridges which is why I have rifles in both.
  • In terms of brass availability, I would not take points away from the 243. I would not ding the 6CM either.
  • The 6CM can shoot bigger bullets, but all the heavy bullets I have found in 6mm have been target bullets.
Frankly, there is no wrong answer. Both will work great in a youth rifle setup.

Last edited:
I have no experience with the 6GT but I love my 6 creedmoor. Its a blast to shoot and shoots pretty much everything I have tried MOA or better. I may be in the minority, but I rarely see 243 ammo or brass locally and all the shops have 6 creed ammo on the shelf and multiple loads to choose from. I'd go 6 creed all day long.

sacklunch

WKR
The creed is going to do 90% of what the gt does in an easier to feed package. I'm building myself a gt....but I feel like I can shoot the difference. If she's an MOA shooter, I'd roll creed. If she's a competitor....gt is what it is for a reason.
You lost me...shoot what difference? The GT is slower more finicky to load for than a 6cm, but with marginally better barrel life. With 115s being the most readily available of the high BC 6mm bullets, the 6cm is the pretty obvious choice.

between my brother and I...a 6cm pushing 115 dtacs at 3050 or 6GT pushing 108s at 2850...both shooting ragged holes

And the 6cm has lapua brass

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
The gt is the reliable feeding answer to the dasher.

The dasher is the ticket, but can be finicky feeding from a magazine. The gt stretches the dasher just enough to solve that and still work well with 4350. You get a bit more barrel life and a cartridge that is very accurate by design (not to say the cm is not). You end up with less recoil, powder and still in the necessary velocity to be in the 4 digits.

Creeds have a tremendous marketing advantage, much like the wsm vs saum.....but that doesn't mean it's the only one. The creed does win in price per shot.

Seems like the whole shift from 6CM to BR based cases in PRS style comps was largely a consistency and recoil management thing. Smaller cases had loads staying consistent over more rounds I.E. less likely to be speeding up or slowing down notably as the bore condition changes + less recoil so easier to spot trace/impacts. I've heard of folks still having feeding trouble with GTs though, they are still shorter than a creedmoor.

Hard to make a bad choice IMO. It's nice getting factory ammo for close to $1/ ea with the creedmoor which is on par or less than the price of just components at current prices. I'm expecting the smith to be done with my 18" 6 creed tikka barrel any day now, excited to give her a go. Plan on doing a lot of positional shooting at range with it mostly with factory and maybe handloading a little for hunting.

Lawnboi

WKR
For something with a longer barrel I’d have to really think about it.

For a hunting rifle with a suppressor it’s hard not to burn more powder and lop a few more inches off the barrel.

@wind gypsy whos doing your barrel? I’ll eventually probably need a 6 creed as well for states that don’t think 22 cal bullets are enough.

For something with a longer barrel I’d have to really think about it.

For a hunting rifle with a suppressor it’s hard not to burn more powder and lop a few more inches off the barrel.

@wind gypsy whos doing your barrel? I’ll eventually probably need a 6 creed as well for states that don’t think 22 cal bullets are enough.

Kampfeld. I got a new t3x 6.5 creedmoor online and had it shipped to him along with a 6mm #4 benchmark. He's chopping and threading the factory barrel at 18" as well. Probably keep it in a bravo until there's a LRH, pro-hunter, gunwerks, or similar option inletted for tikkas available. Even then it might just stay in a bravo.

I've got a hankering to try Taylor Stratton as well after binging a bunch of his videos and seeing the detail he goes into. He's quite expensive and not quick though, which I think i can be ok with as I've got less and less patience anymore with stuff that isn't boringly accurate/forgiving/reliable.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
The gt is the reliable feeding answer to the dasher.

The dasher is the ticket, but can be finicky feeding from a magazine. The gt stretches the dasher just enough to solve that and still work well with 4350. You get a bit more barrel life and a cartridge that is very accurate by design (not to say the cm is not). You end up with less recoil, powder and still in the necessary velocity to be in the 4 digits.

Creeds have a tremendous marketing advantage, much like the wsm vs saum.....but that doesn't mean it's the only one. The creed does win in price per shot.
When I built my 6GT, the promise of avoiding Dasher related feeding issues was very appealing. But in my case at least, that didnt turn out to be the case. I had to modify magazines extensively to get the GT to feed, but I never got it to the point I was happy with. In the end, I gave up on the GT as a match rifle and am building a Dasher. At least I can get dedicated Dasher mags now.

parshal

WKR
I've had equal success in finding accurate loads for the Creed and GT. I've found neither to be finicky to load. I run a Dasher in comps and I've never had a feeding issue. But, I run the mag spacer in the mags from when I ran a BR. Nearly every cartridge I've run requires a little tweaking of mag feed lips so I don't count.

If velocity matters to you get the Creed. You also have good factory hunting ammo.