6mm creedmoor or 6mm gt

So now that Lapua is making 6GT brass I'm curious what the opinions are running the GT over a Dasher or BRA.
The application is PRS with 112-115 dtacs for longer range windy courses in the west.

I'm really looking for some tuning and barrel life reports for all three cartridges

Wrongside

WKR
My 6mm scenario differs from the OPs- hunting VS competition rifles. I like the 6CM a lot, but with the 6CM barrel on my comp gun pretty much cooked @ ~1200 rounds, I think I’ll be moving to the 6GT for the next couple barrels. For a few reasons- barrel life, more likely to work well with Varget, and SRPs. Hoping to avoid major magazine modifications. Lapua adding it to their brass lineup doesn’t hurt either.

Lapua getting into the game doesn't matter, Alpha brass has the market cornered IMO.

Do they? I saw Alex wheeler worked with alpha on their 6 BRA reamer and brass then was having some issues with it and went back to lapua. My sole personal experience with Alpha is a recent order of 6 creedmoor brass. It seems fine but it doesn't measure consistent like lapua x47 brass.

What @762 ULTRAMAGA said makes sense if a GT pushes 110 atips - 115 dtacs at dasher 105 berger speeds i could see the attraction on paper.

Are any of the top national PRS guys using the GT?

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m considering going to GT, for the increase in barrel life. Only thing that keeps me from it is the dies and other parts needed for reloading become more than a barrel costs.

I’m dedicated to shooting suppressed and went 22” 6 creed for my latest barrel. We will see.

I have used some alpha now. I think lapua is still what everyone else strives to be.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Do they? I saw Alex wheeler worked with alpha on their 6 BRA reamer and brass then was having some issues with it and went back to lapua. My sole personal experience with Alpha is a recent order of 6 creedmoor brass. It seems fine but it doesn't measure consistent like lapua x47 brass.

What @762 ULTRAMAGA said makes sense if a GT pushes 110 atips - 115 dtacs at dasher 105 berger speeds i could see the attraction on paper.

Are any of the top national PRS guys using the GT?
Good points!

khuber84

WKR
So now that Lapua is making 6GT brass I'm curious what the opinions are running the GT over a Dasher or BRA.
The application is PRS with 112-115 dtacs for longer range windy courses in the west.

I'm really looking for some tuning and barrel life reports for all three cartridges
I shoot 6bra, 6gt. I have been able to get both rifles to shoot 10 shot groups in the 3s pretty easily. I feel the 6gt is more adaptable with its larger capacity. It can use more available powders VS the bra. I've had success with varget, N150, H4350, rl16, ts15.5, N555, n550, with 105-115gr bullets. I usually run 109 Bergers or 115 dtacs in the gt case. 105s in bra with varget or 4166. I've shot some extremely small groups with both cases. I think the bra might be a bit easier to tune, 30.5-31gr varg with 105hyn 30-40k jump has been a sub half moa load in 2 barrels. My very first barrel had longer freebore and I used 33.4gr H4350 with 105s at 2930fps and it shot incredibly well, but that was a very fast lot of H4350, wish I had more of it! Alpha bra brass(which I'm using) has issues, fireform lapua and ensure you have a properly specd reamer if you go this route, harrels makes good dies, D3 is pretty standard. The gt is simple, pick your freebore for the weight class of bullet desired to run. Load 35.4-36.7gr H4350 with a quality match bullet seated 30-50k off, pick the powder charge that shoots best at 100y. Put it on paper at 500y to confirm, go have fun.

Juan_ID

WKR
I’m considering going to GT, for the increase in barrel life. Only thing that keeps me from it is the dies and other parts needed for reloading become more than a barrel costs.

I’m dedicated to shooting suppressed and went 22” 6 creed for my latest barrel. We will see.

I have used some alpha now. I think lapua is still what everyone else strives to be.
Just curious what dies and other parts cost more for a GT than the creed?

Lawnboi

WKR
Just curious what dies and other parts cost more for a GT than the creed?
Maybe didn’t emphasize enough. I have creed dies and tools, I don’t have GT dies. So I would just need a set of dies, annealer parts, trimmer parts. I’m accustomed to nice stuff for reloading so it becomes around the cost of another 6 creed barrel to tool up for a new cartridge.

I shoot 6bra, 6gt. I have been able to get both rifles to shoot 10 shot groups in the 3s pretty easily. I feel the 6gt is more adaptable with its larger capacity. It can use more available powders VS the bra. I've had success with varget, N150, H4350, rl16, ts15.5, N555, n550, with 105-115gr bullets. I usually run 109 Bergers or 115 dtacs in the gt case. 105s in bra with varget or 4166. I've shot some extremely small groups with both cases. I think the bra might be a bit easier to tune, 30.5-31gr varg with 105hyn 30-40k jump has been a sub half moa load in 2 barrels. My very first barrel had longer freebore and I used 33.4gr H4350 with 105s at 2930fps and it shot incredibly well, but that was a very fast lot of H4350, wish I had more of it! Alpha bra brass(which I'm using) has issues, fireform lapua and ensure you have a properly specd reamer if you go this route, harrels makes good dies, D3 is pretty standard. The gt is simple, pick your freebore for the weight class of bullet desired to run. Load 35.4-36.7gr H4350 with a quality match bullet seated 30-50k off, pick the powder charge that shoots best at 100y. Put it on paper at 500y to confirm, go have fun.

What has ease of feeding difference been between the two? BRA in dasher/BR mag vs GT in standard mag?

khuber84

WKR
What has ease of feeding difference been between the two? BRA in dasher/BR mag vs GT in standard mag?
I've ran my gt's with arc aics mags and they have been absolutely flawless, never an issue. I've ran the 6bra with aw/hrd combo mags, mdt br mags, accurate/primal kits, and they were still tempremental requiring feed lip tuning. My gt's are all built on crf actions, zermatt and arc. My newest bra is on a arc action and it's working great with AW mags using hrd kits. I'd say I had way less feeding drama with the gt. Oddly enough my lp fuzion 6bra ran 98% reliably from the same arc aics mags without kits I use for the gt. Just have to run the bolt fast.

Right on man
Have you by chance gotten a good comparison on barrel life between the two cartridges?

khuber84

WKR
Right on man
Have you by chance gotten a good comparison on barrel life between the two cartridges?
I pull my 6gt barrels at 2500 rounds. They're still shooting well under sub moa, my highest round count 6bra is 1800, but have 2 more I'm breaking in. These are match rifles that routinely see 8-12 round strings sub 2 min par times.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Has anyone shot the factory offering from hornady? Perhaps in multiple barrels? I'm considering moving to th GT from the creed once I shoot out my barrel. My plan was to just buy a "barrel life" supply of the 109eldm ammo and shoot. The only caveat being is if the barrel I get doesn't shoot it well...

I pull my 6gt barrels at 2500 rounds. They're still shooting well under sub moa, my highest round count 6bra is 1800, but have 2 more I'm breaking in. These are match rifles that routinely see 8-12 round strings sub 2 min par times.
Thanks man your results are tracking with everyone that I've heard from so far, 2500 plus seems well documented at this point.