6mm and .223/5.56 ILLEGAL for big game in Alaska!

z987k

WKR
Of course, if you really want to reduce wounding and loss of animals through regulatory action you'd want some kind of State mandated proficiency test and certification for anyone to shoot anything past, say, 300 yards? Even 300 might be too far.

What percentage of guys shooting their 300 win mags at animals past that range have any business doing so? Much bigger problem than .223 IMO. If you can't put 4 out of 5 in an 8" circle at range x, you shouldn't be shooting at range x regardless of the performance of the bullet.
Spend an afternoon at rabbit creek and you'd bring that inside 100 yards. Pie plate accuracy is the norm.
Put 5 in rapid succession anywhere on your 24x24 target out there at 100 and send it.

wyosam

WKR
Spend an afternoon at rabbit creek and you'd bring that inside 100 yards. Pie plate accuracy is the norm.
Put 5 in rapid succession anywhere on your 24x24 target out there at 100 and send it.

And pie plate 3/5 times is a “tack driver”. It’s fun watching people move their finger back and forth bullet hole to bullet hole across a giant target going “every one of those is a dead moose!” I especially like it when they are “adjusting their zero” during all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowfinn

FNG
This is true year round, but especially in August when a lot of magnums get dusted off for the year. I’d be curious what the average group size would be if everyone had to shoot a 10 round group.

I see a lot of people on here who seem to be confusing shot placement, with killing power.

You can’t regulate shot placement and a poorly placed shot from a 458 Lott is just as ineffective as a poorly placed shot from a .22LR.

Before you go jumping on me about bringing up a .22LR, know that I’ve culled 300+ deer with one. I’ve also helped track a moose for a few miles which was shot with a 458 Lott.

I know a family who shares a .22 Hornet to subsistence hunt with. The old man bought it along with a Lee loading tool, because it was the cheapest way he could find to do what he needed to.

wyosam

WKR
The obvious better answer here is to ban FMJ bullets for hunting. .223 is not the problem (see bajillion page thread). Cheap 55gr FMJ projectiles are not great. If you MUST regulate something, that's the thing to regulate.

Unless you can figure out how to mandate a shooting proficiency test (I had to put 4 out of 5 muzzleloader rounds in an 8" inch circle at 50 yards in front of an ADFG rep to put in for muzzleloader tags, which seems reasonable? At least, the proficiency standard is reasonable. Wasn't easy to set up the test in SEAK.) And yes, that muzzleloader killed a moose just fine.

A scoped .223 with any reasonable hunting bullet is definitely more lethal than a muzzleloader with iron sights.

I don’t know about more lethal. It more circumstances and from further away (and with much less skill/effort), sure. But when used at reasonable distance, I’ve found my muzzleloader to hit elk much like a garbage truck, without much potential for “more lethal”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk