6mm-284 lets hear it!

wyosam

WKR
Where are you finding Lapua 6.5-284 brass? I heard they stopped making it?

It’s on the shelf in both Cabela’s and sportsman’s locally for me. It was one of very few that I always saw during the worst of the shortage. The 284 case isn’t going anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Following along here. I’ve got Lapua 6.5-284 brass and have been looking hard at 25-284.

However, running the numbers, it looks like the 6mm-284 with a 108gr Berger is a lot better fit in a short action AICS mag than the 25-284 with 133gr Bergers at reasonable seating depths. I think I’ll throat to load 108s in a binderless magazine, which should leave 115gr options on the table for something like a 3” Wyatt’s box if a better heavy for caliber bullet comes out down the road (120 ELDM anyone?)

I’ve always had a boomerish fear of 243 caliber deer cartridges from growing up, but reading on here and some of the podcasts on 6CM/6UM has changed my mind. I’m excited to see your results with the -284 case. For the price of Lapua -284 brass (and not having to fireform) and the low cost and high availability of good .243 bullets, this seems like a winning combo.

Now what to do with these .25 bullets? 25-7PRC?

Long story short I'm in love with a gun for the 1st time in my life with my 25-284 build! I've been using it religiously for the last year and it's done everything and more that I've asked of it.

My fellow hunters are starting to see the light and enjoying the benefits of small calibers going fast, and I just spun on another 25-284 barrel for a good buddy.

My father wants to build a lightweight, fast gun with low recoil. The build will be off of a tikka standard bolt face action. I'm leaning heavily on a 6-284 for him. For those that have dabbled with it, is it as simple as the 25, where you just full length size 6.5-284 brass? If so I think this is the ticket.

I'm guessing 3100fps with 108s abd retumbo or n570 would be attainable out of an 18" barrel suppressed?

Side note. He already has the donor gun so no 6UM or other mag bolt face cartridges.

If you've built one or have any experience with the cartridge tell me everything!
I LIKE IT!!! Holy smokes sounds like a fun deer/speed goat cartridge.
As for the .25cal, one of my favorites is a .257WBY with a fast twist barrel for heavies…..Also, fun for deep and antelope.

Following along here. I’ve got Lapua 6.5-284 brass and have been looking hard at 25-284.

However, running the numbers, it looks like the 6mm-284 with a 108gr Berger is a lot better fit in a short action AICS mag than the 25-284 with 133gr Bergers at reasonable seating depths. I think I’ll throat to load 108s in a binderless magazine, which should leave 115gr options on the table for something like a 3” Wyatt’s box if a better heavy for caliber bullet comes out down the road (120 ELDM anyone?)

I’ve always had a boomerish fear of 243 caliber deer cartridges from growing up, but reading on here and some of the podcasts on 6CM/6UM has changed my mind. I’m excited to see your results with the -284 case. For the price of Lapua -284 brass (and not having to fireform) and the low cost and high availability of good .243 bullets, this seems like a winning combo.

Now what to do with these .25 bullets? 25-7PRC?
You’re spot on with the mag limitation of the 25-284.

I’ll not chime in too much with the 25 cal stuff…I’m pretty stuck on my boring 25 creedmoor which does everything I need and more from a 26” barrel.

texag10

WKR
I have a Tikka I've rebarreled to 6.5-284. I've loved the performance on game, but wouldn't mind a 6mm faster than the Creedmoor case to reduce recoil from my 6.5 and still give good velocity in a much shorter (18-20") barrel.

What would I need to reload 6-284? I have a Hornady match 2 die set with a neck/shoulder sizing and decapping die that uses a bushing, and a seater die.

B23

WKR
If you have a 6.5-284 bushing die set all you'll need is a different size bushing and you're good to go.