OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
5 or 10 years from now…
Q1: “Why do you own that gun?”
A1: “Because a bunch of guys on Rokslide thought it would be a good one to own”

Q2: “Do you shoot it much?”
A2: “Nah, I’ve got a bunch of other guns I shoot instead”…..

:rolleyes:(n):unsure:🤪
I shoot all my guns....quite frequently
I dont own any safe queens.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Hey bud! Alberta is cool except for the minimum hunting caliber restrictions. Was just up there for Stampede.

Nanooks are awesome except for the trigger they force you to use.
.223s are awesome for training and killing stuff but you live in Alberta.

Advice:
Build a 24" 6.5CM or .260 if you are a reloader.
Build a 20" 6.5CM if you shoot factory ammo.

Rationale:
6.5 is the most prolifically produced rifle ammunition in the .470 "standard" bolt face.
It recoils mildly, and is fun and relatively inexpensive to shoot.
It's great for introducing new shooters to the sport after they've shot your .223 gas gun.
The Nanook, with its integral everything, is a great pick for an NRL Hunter action. You'll be able to find pre-fits easily and change them stress-free.
In NRL Hunter, 6.5mm is the minimum caliber for which power factor need not be met if using sealed box ammo - this lets you use any barrel length.
In NRL Hunter, 6.5cm or .260 are the minimum rational calibers with which to make 380,000 power factor (weight times speed) if you are reloading at around 24" barrel length.
NRL hunter will improve your skills for killing animals, and is a hoot.
This same rifle will make a lovely killer out to about 500 yards with simply an ammo change.

Let us know what you choose!

-J
Why not a custom reamed 25-06 for nrl hunter?
By the way I'm not in or from Alberta 🤷

Last edited:
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I'm still torn but im thinking the long action 25-06 that could someday turn into a 300 prc or a short action 6mm standard bolt face is what its down to. I need to hurry up and decide before that sale goes away.

I abandoned 25/06 because quality brass did not exist, if that's still the situation scratch it from the list.

WKR
What 7mm PRC do you have? How do you like? I settled on 6.5 stuff for everything but the 7 PRC is a bit interesting to me.

If voting on your next rig would vote 6.5x284 Lapua brass and either 135 berger classic, 140 vld, or 139 scenar for bullets. H4350 for powder and be happy around 2850 or so fps.

Didn't read the whole thread so may have missed something.

NSI

WKR
Sorry got my wires crossed with another thread where .223 wasn’t an allowed hunting caliber in Alberta.

25-06 would be fine for hunter except for brass availability and a bit of excessive recoil. Still think 6.5cm or 260 make the most sense.

sambo3006

FNG
How about a 7 twist 257 Weatherby mag? You can shoot the heavy high BC bullets for minimal wind drift or a lighter bullet at warp speed if you want a point and shoot rifle out to 400 yards. All with light enough recoil to eliminate the need for a muzzle brake or suppressor.

Unckebob

WKR
I'm still torn but im thinking the long action 25-06 that could someday turn into a 300 prc or a short action 6mm standard bolt face is what its down to. I need to hurry up and decide before that sale goes away.

The nice thing about 6mm cartridges is the fact bullets are very affordable and very few cartridges recoil much. If you change your mind on the initial cartridge, just order a new prefit in something different.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I think I might have settled on a 25 creedmoor...the quarter bores always have intrigued me and peterson makes brass for it so hey why not? I'd like to shoot 120 grain class bullets and the 25 fits well with that category

Plus I have a long action bat machine I could rebarrel someday into any of the long action cartridges, so its time for a shorty.

Reactions: NSI
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Done
Ordered a short action .308 bolt face

Reactions: NSI
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
No comments on the 25 creedmoor choice?

223. You already have 3 rifles that are perfectly adequate for anything in North America including brown bears. I’d get something that’s lighter recoiling, cheaper to shoot, and have better barrel life. 223 checks all of those boxes.