Help me pick a cartridge

WKR

WKR
I'm going to order another long action for a future build but im trying to figure out if I should go with a standard bolt face or magnum.
I currently have all .284 caliber rifles. 7mm rem mag, .280 ai and a 7prc being built.
So I'm either going to go with something in the 30 cals or a .26/ 6.5mm

What would you choose and why?

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
The deal is...I can get a kelbly nanook for around $350 off right now. So I want to pick one up and slowly piece it together. And I want to build the rifle myself start to finish.

I'm trying to decide if I want a smaller caliber trainer/ deer and pronghorn gun. Or go with a 30 cal magnum for elk sized game and some long distance shooting for fun. Also possibly looking at getting into nrl hunter matches in the future.

Unckebob

WKR
The deal is...I can get a kelbly nanook for around $350 off right now. So I want to pick one up and slowly piece it together. And I want to build the rifle myself start to finish.

I'm trying to decide if I want a smaller caliber trainer/ deer and pronghorn gun. Or go with a 30 cal magnum for elk sized game and some long distance shooting for fun. Also possibly looking at getting into nrl hunter matches in the future.

Every one of your rifles will take an Elk and shoot at far off targets.

Get a Standard Bolt face to open up access to all the '06 based variants.

Can you get a short action? Then I'd get a 223.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Every one of your rifles will take an Elk and shoot at far off targets.

Get a Standard Bolt face to open up access to all the '06 based variants.

Can you get a short action? Then I'd get a 223.
Reasoning behind that?

I have a .223 in a gas gun

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Reasoning behind that?

I have a .223 in a gas gun
It’s inexpensive training rifle that allows you to work on lots of fundamentals that are hidden by a magnum.

If not a .223 then get a short action 6 mm of some flavor. With 105 class it can match or exceed ballistics of some of your 7mm.

If you are going to get a long action, get a 25-06 with custom throat for high BC bullets. A 30 cal and 6.5 are so close to 7mm that they are essentially the same. Shooting a 133 Berger is fun. Great deer and antelope gun.

bruno747

FNG
If you want something really unique, purchase a 308 bolt face short action and make a 45 raptor bolt gun.

300 prc it’s essentially a modern win mag. Much easier to reload at least I think so. And one can never have to many guns.

2five7

WKR
Another vote for a 6mm of some flavor. Splits the middle between a trainer and what you have now. Plenty of gun for deer/sheep sized game at extended ranges.

I'd do a boring 6cm, just for brass availability.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
With what you have, you don't need anything else. However, if you want a magnum look at the 300 wby. It's a freight train and I always reach for it over my 6.5 prc.

I'm sure ballistic fan boys will say others are better but it's never let me down, and I've never had to track 100 to 600 yard shots.

With 180g barnes it's the best rifle I've owned and never had doubts

Unckebob

WKR
It’s inexpensive training rifle that allows you to work on lots of fundamentals that are hidden by a magnum.

If not a .223 then get a short action 6 mm of some flavor. With 105 class it can match or exceed ballistics of some of your 7mm.

If you are going to get a long action, get a 25-06 with custom throat for high BC bullets. A 30 cal and 6.5 are so close to 7mm that they are essentially the same. Shooting a 133 Berger is fun. Great deer and antelope gun.

This is why I suggested the 223 and his comment was why I suggested a regular bolt face.

OP - if you have a Long Action only option, his 25-06 suggestion is truly different from what you have.

Last edited:
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR

I like that 25-06 idea

I guess I'm hesitant to go the 223 route because I like dual purpose rifles and a 223 trainer is pretty singular