Anyone else lacking confidence in their Tipi?

AKDoc

WKR
I don't know the logistics of the OP's bear hunt. I have a Hilleberg (Staika) and a SO-tipi (4-man).

I have used my SO as a sleeping shelter once or twice on a float trip, but it has been primarily a very welcomed addition as a day-shelter on remote fly-in hunts. I use MSR Cyclone tent stakes on tundra, and they anchor extremely well...even in very strong winds, no problems.

For many reasons my Hilleberg is my trusted go-to for a sleeping shelter. Mine has proven itself bomb-proof over and over and has never let me down during some really intense all-nighter wind/rain storms. BTW, I have to admit that I've been surprised the next morning to see my SO tipi is also still standing, so it's definitely tough. That said, two years ago we were in a residual typhoon with extremely high winds that damaged a nearby village. When I got the heads-up that it was going to come ashore that night, I dropped the center-pole of my SO as a precaution and anchored down in my Hilleberg.

IMG_6556.jpegIMG_6598.jpegIMG_6565.jpeg

I had my dyneema SO cimmaron set up in the back country one time when we got some unexpected gale force winds, at first I put big rocks all around the base but eventually it felt like it was going to start ripping apart. We ended up moving and hiding out in a creek bottom for the night, it was sketch. That's the only time I felt it wasn't strong enough though

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm headed on my back country bear hunt in about 5 days. I keep bouncing back and forth between my hilleberg and my seek outside 8 man. I love the stove option in the seek. However, last time I was in the back country a pretty good windstorm came through and I didn't sleep a wink. Had to get up and reinforce it with all the guy lines and put rocks on all the stakes. I still thought it was going to blow over all night. Hilleberg, there's no stove but I sleep much better in it when it's a wind storm. I have zero worries about anything affecting that tent.
I have experienced pretty bad storms in a 12-man. No matter how tight you have it guyed out, when you get a combination of really intense wind and water, that sil nylon will sag and create slack on those guy lines which leads to some scary times, particularly at night (and the slapping adds to the terror). Great shelters if you can get them tucked in somewhere although not where wet snow can drop off limbs and dump on your tipi. I lost my centerpole because I had mine tucked in too close to large overhanging lodgepole limbs and we got about 18" of heavy wet snow. Buckled the pole in half but the tipi stayed erect with no tears. The footprint on the tipis also make it tougher to find a good pitch location and get them tucked in.

SonnyDay

WKR
Exactly what happened to me, twice that night. First time I stuffed it back in. Second time I just opened the tent, threw the pipe and still burning stove in the snow.
Yep. I thought of trying to wire the pipe to the stove but then figured the whole thing could lift up, come apart, and fling hot burning coals all over our sleeping bags in the night.

Legend

WKR
High quality mountaineering tents are wind tested and often have a wind rating. I challenge someone to find a floorless teepee tent company that has a wind rating.

The reality is the teepee has too much distance between solid support to truly be strong in the wind. Them is just the facts. OK go ahead and hate me now.

I still like them and they have a great purpose. But they are not a go to tent for high wind.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
High quality mountaineering tents are wind tested and often have a wind rating. I challenge someone to find a floorless teepee tent company that has a wind rating.

The reality is the teepee has too much distance between solid support to truly be strong in the wind. Them is just the facts. OK go ahead and hate me now.

I still like them and they have a great purpose. But they are not a go to tent for high wind.
Well said. I find myself taking the Hilleberg into the backcountry more and more.

S.Clancy

WKR
I think knowing where to put your tent is the most important thing with a tepee It takes more thought than a freestanding or tunnel tent.

Once winds get to 35 mph or so (internet 60 mph) they are going to struggle in an exposed area, just the way it is.

SonnyDay

WKR
Once winds get to 35 mph or so (internet 60 mph) they are going to struggle in an exposed area, just the way it is.

Haha! Truth on the embellishment much of the time.

But yeah... modern tipis are single-pole, which is a pretty terrible design for wind.

dirtknap

FNG
I owned a kifaru 8 man. The quality looked good. It performed well for us...until it snowed. We gambled and left it pitched...it snowed 2-3 inches and ripped the top cap and a panel. We were able to sew it up enough to use with paracord. Overall for the price, I will pass on kifaru. Those luxe outdoor tipis weigh a bit more, but cost half as much. Plus, we left it pitched and it held up to a 3-4 inch snow...only the pole bent. Word of wise, unpitch before you leave.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We've been under a high wind warning for the least three days (west-central MT) sustained 25 mph winds, gusts as high 50 mph (probably even higher in the mountains)—definitely would rather be in in my Hille vs my pyramid in those conditions :)

I love the wood stove when hauling the pyramid, but a wood stove adds a whole other set of problems w/ high winds.

Pyramid definitely has it's pluses and if the weather is on the decent side I have no qualms on taking it (w/ two people to split the weight of the shelter & stove); BUT if the weather is questionable (or it's a longer trip where weather forecasts are sketchy at best) or going solo, Hille for me.

chasewild

WKR
The only time I've seen a tipi or mid style tent collapse or blow over was when it wasn't pitched correctly. Take the time and do it right the first time and it won't be an issue. Don't use small stakes and always rock your stakes regardless of weather expectations. With practice, it can be done correctly and pretty quickly. It's impressive how many people suck at pitching a tent properly or selecting proper places to do so. It is worth mentioning that tipis do require being a bit more selective with tent location. Regardless, if you know that you will be enduring some high winds scenarios (50+ mph), it's not a bad idea to take the hilleberg instead.
This.

If you want to pick a spot, throw up a tent, and fall asleep in any weather, bring the hilleberg or comparable.

If you have the luxury of picking a spot, spending time to stake it near perfectly, guy it out, then maybe the Tipi.

But honestly, the Tipi is a luxury camping item for me.

dirtknap

FNG
We've been under a high wind warning for the least three days (west-central MT) sustained 25 mph winds, gusts as high 50 mph (probably even higher in the mountains)—definitely would rather be in in my Hille vs my pyramid in those conditions :)

I love the wood stove when hauling the pyramid, but a wood stove adds a whole other set of problems w/ high winds.

Pyramid definitely has it's pluses and if the weather is on the decent side I have no qualms on taking it (w/ two people to split the weight of the shelter & stove); BUT if the weather is questionable (or it's a longer trip where weather forecasts are sketchy at best) or going solo, Hille for me.
We did have a microburst type gust blow our tipi over one night. We were awake because it must've been blowing 50-60 mph all night... you could hear the stronger gust coming down the mountain before it blew our tipi over. My buddy and I were able to repitch. I recently got a SO silex w/stovejack. It's nice for minimalistic hunting, but I like to be able to mostly stand up inside my shelter. It's tight with your gear and a stove. I'd say the tipi works best if u use a stove- even during early bow season- when it rains- everybody hikes out....we have our stove going drying everything out. It's nice knowing you can hunt all day, get drenched, and have a hot tent. Multiple tent options help when planning for the weather for sure. To save weight not packing a pole, you can easily cut one in the field too. That might be the best selling point....no tent poles needed. Those hillis are nice tho

I have pretty limited experience with tipis, but setting mine up in good weather with all the lines and everything solid it seemed to work OK when wind kicked up later. One trip the wind was already whipping before I setup and that thing was absolutely insufferable to get setup, ended up with half of it looped/caved in on the windy side all night long, just couldn't get a proper pitch in the wind. For that reason I ended up selling it, we have multiple other tent options that I can setup easily with or without wind.

SonnyDay

WKR
This.

If you want to pick a spot, throw up a tent, and fall asleep in any weather, bring the hilleberg or comparable.

If you have the luxury of picking a spot, spending time to stake it near perfectly, guy it out, then maybe the Tipi.

But honestly, the Tipi is a luxury camping item for me.
Totally agree. Having a wood stove in a shelter out in the hills on a backpack hunt is kinda ridiculous... Haha!

But as I pass into my later years (I'm 51) I REALLY appreciate being able to stand up and have some heat to dry stuff out and take the edge off of a cold morning.

If the wind is going to be blowing, I'll bring the mountaineering tent.

I have weathered some insane conditions In Kifaru tipis. They have never left me down. The wood stove is huge added benefit when it’s cold outside