6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

The Guide

WKR
Showing out of stock at that link for me.
Powder Valley and others are showing them in stock now at a better price than Sierra had them. AmmoSeek was showing 0 listing's this morning and there are 31 now.

Never mind, showing SMK not TMK. 😪

Jay

Reactions: BLJ

Marshfly

WKR
I was able to get three kills with my Howa Mini 6ARC this weekend on antelope. Bullet is a factory loaded 108 ELD-M. Velocity based on dope should be about 2550 at the muzzle. Impact velocity should be in the 2400-2100 range. We had kills from 125 - 325 yards. All three were at least one lung and liver with at least one double lung. I expected at least a single bang flop but all three ran about 200 yards before expiring. Was kind of surprised at that.

I did not do full necropsies but this is the entry and exit from the 325 yard shot. This is the only wound pics I have as I thought the first two might have been a fluke. This buck ran about 200 yards before getting woozy and falling over. Is this what people are seeing from 6mm ELD-Ms?

I definitely would not use this on an elk after this if this performance is normal.

Skinned pic is the entrance and exit is with skin on.
IMG_5541.jpeg
IMG_5535.jpeg

Last edited:

Duh

WKR
I was able to get three kills with my Howa Mini 6ARC this weekend on antelope. Bullet is a factory loaded 108 ELD-M. Velocity based on dope should be about 2550 at the muzzle. Impact velocity should be in the 2400-2100 range. We had kills from 125 - 325 yards. All three were at least one lung and liver with at least one double lung. I expected at least a single bang flop but all three ran about 200 yards before expiring. Was kind of surprised at that.

I did not do full necropsies but this is the entry and exit from the 325 yard shot. This is the only wound pics I have as I thought the first two might have been a fluke. This buck ran about 200 yards before getting woozy and falling over. Is this what people are seeing from 6mm ELD-Ms?

I definitely would not use this on an elk after this if this performance is normal.

View attachment 777356
View attachment 777358
Yeah animals tend to run a bit when hit in the lungs and liver. I’d never expect a bang flop or Drt with a lung/liver shot.

Marshfly

WKR
Yeah animals tend to run a bit when hit in the lungs and liver. I’d never expect a bang flop or Drt with a lung/liver shot.
These are my first animals with ELDMs. I guess I just expected more from the stories/pics and from what I saw with a 6.5mm ELDX last year on lung shots. LOL. But they did the job. Going to kill some more stuff with them this weekend.

Duh

WKR
These are my first animals with ELDMs. I guess I just expected more from the stories/pics and from what I saw with a 6.5mm ELDX last year on lung shots. LOL. But they did the job. Going to kill some more stuff with them this weekend.
Gotcha and good luck.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

View attachment 777356
View attachment 777358

Barely clipping lungs and liver, is going to result in runners.

As an FYI, elk will cause more bullet upset than antelope.

Marshfly

WKR
Barely clipping lungs and liver, is going to result in runners.

As an FYI, elk will cause more bullet upset than antelope.
Trying to figure out how an exit in the pocket is barely clipping but OK. Another had an entrance in the pocket with the exit in the front leg muscle adjacent to the knee joint. These shots were not "barely clipping" lungs. They were placed to avoid as much meat damage as possible.

Regardless, isn't this bullet supposed to make a football sized wound channel?

I want to be realistic about my expectations here.