6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

WYCFM1

WKR
I took a bull elk with my 20” 6 creedmoor this year…the shot was 645 yards with almost no wind…I shot him twice on one side and twice on the other…the bullet was an 87g v max…we found one bullet during processing…it was expanded within a 1/8” on the base of the bullet…they killed the bull but I won’t use those again…they shoot so well out of my rifle that I haven’t zeroed any other ammo yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Someone mentioned that they were using the 87 grain VMAX but had it at low starting velocity. I wonder what the jacket thickness is in comparison to the match bullets that people love

I took a bull elk with my 20” 6 creedmoor this year…the shot was 645 yards with almost no wind…I shot him twice on one side and twice on the other…the bullet was an 87g v max…we found one bullet during processing…it was expanded within a 1/8” on the base of the bullet…they killed the bull but I won’t use those again…they shoot so well out of my rifle that I haven’t zeroed any other ammo yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Shocking choice of bullet

The Guide

WKR
Someone mentioned that they were using the 87 grain VMAX but had it at low starting velocity. I wonder what the jacket thickness is in comparison to the match bullets that people love
That was out of a 6x45 which is a 223 necked up. That cartridge would be a far better choice for the 87 VMAX. Making some basic assumptions of a MV of 3100 fps with the 20" barrel the bullet was around 1725 fps at impact and would have had around 37" of wind drift @10 mph at 645 yards. For comparison, my 6CM at the same distance with the 105 Berger with a MV of 2895 fps would impact with 1920 fps and 27" of drift at 10 mph. A change in bullet could have definitely been made to optimize the results.

Jay

Dustin88

FNG
87 Vmax has impressed me. Numerous coyotes and a couple hogs at 100 yards. The hogs didn’t make it 10 yards.