6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

Felix40

WKR
I’ve been working on something very different from most guys here. A reduced recoil hunting load for my son’s 18” 243. I loaded some very mild 87gr vmax for it and did some culling. I’m very happy with terminal performance on animals from deer sized to a little bigger than elk. Not a lot of exits or blood but you don’t need blood if you watch them fall. I wish I had a chronograph to give a speed. All I can say is it’s about 75% of what I would normally load. I know the vmax seems like a bad idea on big animals but going that slow it seems to work beautifully.

The Guide

WKR
I’ve been working on something very different from most guys here. A reduced recoil hunting load for my son’s 18” 243. I loaded some very mild 87gr vmax for it and did some culling. I’m very happy with terminal performance on animals from deer sized to a little bigger than elk. Not a lot of exits or blood but you don’t need blood if you watch them fall. I wish I had a chronograph to give a speed. All I can say is it’s about 75% of what I would normally load. I know the vmax seems like a bad idea on big animals but going that slow it seems to work beautifully.
When you slow that 87 VMAX down, it works really good. The 120 NBT does the same in the 6.5 Grendel. In my 260 the 120 is very accurate but a little splashy. At Grendel speeds it just kills.

Jay

ktmkaratechips

Lil-Rokslider
What shot placement have you been trying for? Does the recoil seem reduced enough to make a difference? Sounds great to me!

turbo406

FNG
What speed if you had to guess? I'm running them at 2840 out of an 18 inch arc and it shoots wonderfully. Was thinking about trying it on deerthis year

Felix40

WKR
What shot placement have you been trying for? Does the recoil seem reduced enough to make a difference? Sounds great to me!
Bow type shots at 100 yds or less. It’s substantially softer shooting than what I would load for myself (95 nbt close to max). I would say it’s comparable to a 223 ar. The set up is for a 9 year old. He killed an elk last year but I used too hard of a bullet and wasn’t super happy with it.

Felix40

WKR
What speed if you had to guess? I'm running them at 2840 out of an 18 inch arc and it shoots wonderfully. Was thinking about trying it on deerthis year
Wild guess would be around 2350. That’s just about 75% of what factory ammo is listed at while accounting for the 18” barrel. I know velocity:charge isn’t linear but I have nothing else to go on.