6cm or 6.5cm?

I want to get something for my wife that she will not hate shooting. She shoots pretty well but doesnt "enjoy" it. She is definitely afraid of the recoil. She had a 7mm-08 but I sold it.

I am going to get her either a 6CM or a 6.5CM. I dont want to reload for this rifle and these offer a lot of good factory ammo.

I plan to have this rifle at 20" and it will wear a TBAC Ultra 7.

I am debating if the 6 is the way to go for comfort or if the 6.5 is the way to go for more energy down range. The .223 thread has me looking at proof the 6 is enough but my brain is saying bigger is better.

I looked up the ballistics of the factory ELDX for each and took 100fps off the box velocity for the 20" barrel.

6CM: MV of 2950 puts me at 2000 fps at about 650yds with about 950ft/lbs
6.5CM: MV of 2600 puts me at 2000 fps at about 550yds with about 1275ft/lbs

I am looking at the 2000 fps as the min velocity for the ELDX to do its job. This makes it look like the 6CM is more effective at a longer range. I would like for her to get proficient to 5-600. So, is the 6CM the way to go? She mainly hunts deer and cow elk every few years.

Last edited:

axeforce6

WKR
I built my wife a 6 creed. Almost zero recoil. She shoots it really well.

OP
MuleyFever
@MuleyFever I don't have an opinion, but are those the two best factory options you came across, or just the first two that you came across that seemed apples to apples?
Those were the first apples to apples as far as factory ammo goes that I saw. I also figured that with the 6CM a bullet like the ELDX is what I want over a bonded or mono for the widest wound channel so I compared them.

Sled

WKR
Either should work for your intended purpose. The 6.5 seems to have more hunting projectiles available if that's a concern. I'd also be more inclined to lean that way since you mentioned elk.

BjornF16

WKR
What are you shooting that only gives 2500 fps MV for the 6.5?

I’m getting 2750 fps with 140 ELD-Ms.

Regardless, I’d go 6CM

Edit: n/m I re-read your OP again. Knocking off 200 fps seems excessive given you typically lose 20-30 fps per inch.

OP
MuleyFever
What are you shooting that only gives 2500 fps MV for the 6.5?

I’m getting 2750 fps with 140 ELD-Ms.

Regardless, I’d go 6CM

The box velocity for the 143 ELDX is 2700 fps. I am assuming that the test rifle had a 24" barrel. With a 20" barrel I am using 2500 as a result of a loss of 25 fps per inch.

kkp005

WKR
I’ve got a 6 CM and love it. Mine was a Bergara 308 that Alamo precision rechamber/ barreled to 6creed and it has shot everything in tiny groups (95gr nbt , 100gr sig tipped, 105gr Berger hybrid and 108gr factory ELDm’s). It’s pushing the factory hornady 108s out of a 20” barrel 2850fps

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Recoil wise… 6cm howa and 6.5 Bergera with composite stocks recoil perception was identical. If recoil is the main concern I’d go with the softest shooting rifle she likes (game wise). If she likes both I’d go 6,5 for ammo availability and for the sight edge on bullet shoulder for tracking future kills.

I was looking for a 130gr 6.5CM hunting round as an alternative to the normal stuff people use. I found a video about the specific ammunition I had discovered Fiocchi Extrema that uses Scirocco II bullets. Just happened across a video that shows the chrono speeds over 2600+MV with most rounds over 2700+MV.
I figured that with the selection and pricing of ammo that I needed a good back up plan. Now I have 200 rounds on order to do some range testing to see how well it performs.

Darryle

WKR
22 Creedmoor with 88 ELD-Ms

The other 2, find a bullet that does what you want construction wise and figure out how to make it do what you want velocity wise

It's hard to beat a Nosler partition or Swift A-Frame construction wise e.

If 22 Cal is legal for the game she would hunt in the States you hunt, then 223 or 22 creed. If 6mm is the minimum, then 6 arc or 6 creed. Gotta make it extra fun and easy for people who don't possess as much innate drive and passion for the shooting sports.

With the smaller cartridges, look for frangible bullets, not tough bullets, to maximize tissue damage.

Maybe let her handle a couple rifles if you can find em… my wife enjoyed shooting a gun that she picked out. Good luck I bet either would be good.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, that's a win win. Either is great. I have both of those calibers and I would hate to choose between them, however the 6 creed is just an absolute hoot to shoot. Hardly any recoil, superbly accurate and deadly with 108 bergers.

Randy

I have one of each. During the rush on ammo, oddly the 6 Creed was easier to find than 6.5 for a few months. Problem with the 6 is that it isn't available in many good hunting rifles. Either one will do what you need it to do. Don't get too hung up on the ELD. There are plenty of bullets that will wreck vitals at 1800 FPS. The Nosler Partition is one of them. So is the Nosler Ballistic tip. I suspect any of the factory hunting loads will. If you are going to push it to the max on range, monos and heavily jacketed bonded bullets like the Swift Scirocco may not be the best choice.

ElPollo

WKR
If you put a suppressor on either, both will be like shooting BB guns. If your wife doesn’t like recoil and muzzle blast, buy a can and cut the barrel back to 16-18” to keep it handy.

OP
MuleyFever
22 Creedmoor with 88 ELD-Ms

The other 2, find a bullet that does what you want construction wise and figure out how to make it do what you want velocity wise

It's hard to beat a Nosler partition or Swift A-Frame construction wise e.
You missed the not reloading part.