6ARC Tikka

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
So I had toyed around with 6arc in the past. I picked up a howa mini but wasn’t fond of the action or trigger. I currently have a 223 and 6.5 prc tikka, and I know tikka doesn’t make a 6arc factory (nor a 6mm creed either) but it got me thinking:
-Legal to hunt anywhere that allows centerfire (unlike the 22 cals)
-in most areas it’s a 6-700 (depending on where it gets to 1800fps) yard gun
-same BC bullet as the 6 creed, just slower out the muzzle (at least with factory rounds)
-cheaper ammo ($.99/round for 108 eldm on ammo seek)
-long barrel life (maybe not as high as a 308 but pretty much a solid “one gun” to practice and hunt with)

Am I off base to think about a 18” 6ARC tikka build? I have plenty of rifle experience but I have no business shooting beyond that distance anyway. Not really for this season, but as Black Friday sales roll around and @Unknown Munitions is a tikka dealer - why wouldn’t that be a solid option?

Has anyone done a successful 6arc tikka or is everyone on the 6creed or 22 creed lane right now?

Sounds like you just listened to a recent shoot2hunt podcast.

I don't think there's any downsides, other than that stupid cartridge rim diameter requiring a modified Tikka bolt.

I would also enjoy the better ballistics even if shooting 600 and under.

How is brass availability?

OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
Sounds like you just listened to a recent shoot2hunt podcast.

I don't think there's any downsides, other than that stupid cartridge rim diameter requiring a modified Tikka bolt.

I would also enjoy the better ballistics even if shooting 600 and under.

How is brass availability?
I did indeed. I kind of dismissed 6arc since everyone seemed to do 6creed tikkas if they weren’t shooting 6.5s or 223s. Or if you were shooting 6arc it was from a gas gun.

Brass availability would be a good question - but I don’t see factory ammo hurting at the moment. And it’s usually hovered between a $1-1.20 per round, which means I could shoot a bunch of factory and keep the brass.

BLJ

WKR

Maybe something to consider. .223 bolt face and brass.
Definitely not ARC or Creed performance but depending on what bullet you’re looking at it could be close.

sndmn11

"DADDY"
Hornady is making 6gt factory ammo and you can use a 308 bolt face. I’d be eyeing that route if I didn’t want a 6 creed and didn’t reload.
I'd go this route and buy a prefit in 6br/gt/dasher. I think they would feed from a short magazine too, so the expense is just a barrel, vise, wrench, and reloading supplies.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen where someone on here had it working with the m mags. But I was looking at it awhile back with 22&6arc in 223 mags they fit perfect coal wise but it rides a little low. I think you could easily sand or file the lips to widen them. The tikka mags are not easy to take apart, anyone have any pointers regarding mag disassembly?

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
The tikka mags are not easy to take apart, anyone have any pointers regarding mag disassembly?

After taking apart a 223 mag and modding it to accept a longer COAL, I probably won’t go that route again. It sucked to do, and the mag never behaved reliably either.

There’s a write up somewhere online from ~ 10 years ago I followed, best of luck if you try it.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen the write up thanks for your input. You don’t need to mod the mag though for coal with factory 22 or 6ARC. Just need to widen feed lips. I wanted to take it apart to make it easier but I don’t have to. If I were going to run a longer coal for handloads seems like it would be easier to just use the m mags. They seem to run fine when I tried a few factory rounds in my t3x 243win (just fed them of course)

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
100% on the COAL, the big advantage of the ARC being how well it fits in shorty mags.

I wonder if you couldn't pop the follower out of the mag, and use an empty case wrapped with sandpaper on the underside of the feed lips with the mag assembled? I'd have to try it to see if it'd work how I'm thinking but it should be easy to try.