60-inch Club Troy Sessions customers calling

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm posting on this forum only about the four groups who have contacted me reporting negative experiences this year with Troy Sessions hunt planning. I can't help them for four years, but you guys should know what's being reported, IMO.

One of his charter companies evidently are telling his clients to call me next time. But that's the wrong answer because I can't help them for years.

Sessions is a competitor of mine so take this for what its worth...to his supporters on this forum just know this is for those who might be thinking of hiring him.

If you want firsthand feedback about him, contact one of the pilots he used this year when no one else would work with him. Myles Thomas Aviation Expeditions (FBKS). Also call Wright Air service and speak with Christina (Charter dept.).

One group had to get helicoptered out of GMU 24 (with permission from the Troopers) because Troy planned for them to hunt later than typical freeze up in one of my areas. I had to abandon this spot because he's moved in with his groups. But groups have to be off that lake about 5 days before the season ends because it freezes earlier than most lakes in that GMU.

Two groups had to get dropped off in a different spot than Sessions planned because the spot was inappropriate for landing and floating conditions and they didn't have a Plan B. They got caribou and didn't see any moose, which is what they claim was their primary goal.

One group claimed his pilot complained about Sessions operation on the flight inbound to the point where it creeped them out. They had a few issues with the information they were given about the river not being accurate or as sold to them.

Just be careful and do your homework by calling pilots he uses (not me). It'll be difficult because he has to switch transporters every year for the same reasons as above.

Please don't bother slamming me for reporting hearsay info about a competitor. I don't need his business, clients, or friends. This report is for those guys who want the truth before committing an investment to hunt in Alaska.

WMR wouldnt this be information you would want to know if you were planning on booking a hunt with some one? Putting out facts is not bashing some one. If it was wrong info then i could see that being a issue, but if there are multiple groups a year having issues with them there is something more happening. take for instance the AA problems in kotz. Many people are reporting issues with them, but since its not an outfitter putting out facts or info then its ok? There is way more demand then supply up here so for a person who has a guiding/planning business stating facts about other companies isnt going to change the amount of clientele they get. Like larry said he is 4 years out do you really think he is worried about gaining more business?

WMR

FNG
WMR wouldnt this be information you would want to know if you were planning on booking a hunt with some one? Putting out facts is not bashing some one. If it was wrong info then i could see that being a issue, but if there are multiple groups a year having issues with them there is something more happening. take for instance the AA problems in kotz. Many people are reporting issues with them, but since its not an outfitter putting out facts or info then its ok? There is way more demand then supply up here so for a person who has a guiding/planning business stating facts about other companies isnt going to change the amount of clientele they get. Like larry said he is 4 years out do you really think he is worried about gaining more business?
Since you asked, it sounds like this is more personal than professional. As a “big timer” in the hunting business, the OP must have heard negative things about dozens of people in the industry. If he’s started public service call out threads about all of them, then I apologize. If not, then why not?

IMO, a client posting a review based on his own experience is totally legit, and a different thing altogether.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah WMR i get your point, which is why i stated that obviously in the original post. The difference with me hearing all kind of stuff about others and not posting those comments is simple: Those company's clients aren't calling me directly. I get your skepticism about my intent. No harm no foul sir.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Whoa, Thanks for the info Larry. It is really hard to receive bad reviews from a competitor. I understand your intent and appreciate it. I think if I were you, I would have encouraged all those clients to come onto public forums like this and put their negative reviews out first hand. It is the easiest way to get the word out, without leaving doubt amongst your intended audience. Clearly you do not need the extra business, so I, and I am sure, many others, see this as a simple PSA to save some guys some headaches.

Last edited:

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
With so much time, money and anticipation that goes into an Alaskan hunt, I appreciate ALL info I can get regarding every component of my hunt. In the end, I’ll be the judge of character for myself, and the info Larry is providing is helpful if not for any other reason but a courtesy heads up that may warrant a second phone call, reference, etc.
Thanks for the post Larry.

AKBorn

WKR
OK, I’ll be that guy. It comes off as petty to start threads ripping your competitors. I don’t think this is the first. Just to be clear, I don’t know Sessions and have only dealt with Larry to buy a few sets of game bags. I do, however, understand professionalism and this is not it.
While I totally understand your perspective - as does Larry, by his response to your post - after what has been happening to AA caribou hunters the past few years, I would actually be happy to see more threads like this, so that all future AK hunters can be very wary and do lots of research before putting their hard-earned money down with anyone.

JPD350

WKR
This info is better than a hunter review! folks drop a bankroll doing these hunts and the info is to call transporters that 60" club has used so that you may get first hand info about the most important part of your hunt, good stuff!

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
LB is one of the good guys out there in my book...he helps our hunting community way beyond simply his business interests...way beyond.

His public testimony quite a few years ago before a local subsistence advisory committee in Kotz was a classic and memorable event to watch, punctuated with data points from years of publicly accessible and objective harvest and resource management data from the ADFG. In addition, laying that locally harvested, rotting caribou hind-quarter on the table next to the public testimony podium while he spoke was definitely not a move many would have done. Certainly not a PC moment...nope, not LB...but it was part of the truth to be shared.

gelton

WKR
LB is one of the good guys out there in my book...he helps our hunting community way beyond simply his business interests...way beyond.

His public testimony quite a few years ago before a local subsistence advisory committee in Kotz was a classic and memorable event to watch, punctuated with data points from years of publicly accessible and objective harvest and resource management data from the ADFG. In addition, laying that locally harvested, rotting caribou hind-quarter on the table next to the public testimony podium while he spoke was definitely not a move many would have done. Certainly not a PC moment...nope, not LB...but it was part of the truth to be shared.
I just remember when LB had an issue with one of his runs of tag bags and replaced everyone’s no questions asked, out of his own pocket I am sure. That’s all I needed to know about Larry, that and that he was the OG of synthetic bags and everyone else is riding his coattails.

Too bad your recollection of his speech in front of the ADFG wasn’t recorded (if it was I can’t find it) because that sounds like one hell of a scene to watch.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I filmed that testimony for you guys on this thread: scroll down to my post #17

I vividly recall so many years ago....

An outfit which was was praised by several successful hunters. A few years of success brought him to the attention of many. I was offered a late-booking hunt at a discount and I accepted. I was already hearing a bit of sketchy talk about the outfitter being a problem operator and advised to ignore it. I wanted to hunt so badly that I was wearing rose colored glasses. And of course things got weird as soon as I arrived. A day or 2 later I was in a 172 and my mistake was rather obvious.

When you're flying into remote bush country and your pilot is busy telling you how many problems and issues he's having with the outfitter (who hired him) that is maybe akin to rounding a corner and seeing a sweeper you just can't avoid. You're going swimming. Pilots know who the responsible and dependable outfitters or planners are. Good pilots avoid likely problems, as their job is already challenging on a good day. My pilot told me he was basically done flying for the outfitter as soon as the season ended. Uh oh....

And of course you already know this hunt turned into a hell-in-a-handbasket cluster with one problem after another and no animals endangered. The lesson should be obvious.

Disclaimer: I have no real knowledge of Sessions or this outfit, so my words above are not directed there.

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks Larry. I always want as much info as possible to make my decisions. I’ve learned a lot from your writings and videos over the years that has steered me the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kwa_bena

FNG
Given that there are potential safety issues that you have stated. There is no reason not believe you. Thanks for giving me some of this info. Giving that I have no experience in that envviroment that Alaska has, this could be a serious issue for someone who, for most if not all of their life, lived in the city and never ventured in the back country anywhere and then go into something where I or anyone else would get hurt and then have to wait until you get help any would not know what to do in the meantime that well. I'm just saying this as a person who have never been to Alaska before

OldCrusty

FNG
Larry Bartlet it says “sponsor” under your logo and I see you pay for advertising to RockSlide, that tells me everything anybody needs to know about what you care most about… profit.

There are rules about bashing, bullying or lying about someone located in the Rockslide rules. You have clearly violated all of the rules here and I cannot believe Rockslide has allowed this shameful behavior...
Your statement was clearly PERSONAL and unprofessional on all accounts. Using Rockslide as a platform to bash on Troy Sessions and his business is pathetic, and says everything about your character.

What we don’t see is Troy Sessions waisting his time saying anything about you (much respect). Clearly he doesn’t waist his time about your lies and childish bantering.

If you're so interested about sharing the truth then why didn't you share about his success rate. From what I hear his clients rival everyone.

No respect for you Larry Bartlet.... NONE!