6 UM or 6-7PRC?

So the appeal on this one has kinda dwindled, but how's about someone get a thread fired up for that 6.5/7prc imp? I haven't even shot my 7prc yet and I wanna get another barrel ordered. That thing ought to be promising

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
I have all my parts at gunsmiths now for a straight 6.5/7 PRC . When I get it sorted out I'll post results.

Not sure where mine is but should be soon for the biuld. Cerakote adds about 9 weeks after it's biult. Tempting to not do that but I think I'll stick with it for now.

When did you guys order?
I ordered in February.

Kris
My 6-7PRC was ordered January 12th. Looking forward to seeing it, whenever it shows up!

My 6-7PRC was ordered January 12th. Looking forward to seeing it, whenever it shows up!
I ordered mine January 5th. Mines just a rebarrel on a tikka action with the full action mods and nitride. They called me last week and said they were ready to start. I’m doing black cerakote on the barrel, nothing fancy. I was told I’d be 12 more weeks.

What micrometer seating die is the go to for this? Is there a 7prc seating die out there that will take a 6mm seating stem?

What micrometer seating die is the go to for this? Is there a 7prc seating die out there that will take a 6mm seating stem?
Hornady micrometer seaters, very easy to change the stem. There's also the short action customs "the seater" die in prc diameter. They're universal in bullet diameter. I use their 308 style die to seat everything from 22 to 7mm with same stem.

I bought the 7 PRC Hornady match grade bushing dies:

And the seating stem for Hornady A-tips:
This stem will work with most of the 105+ grain vld type bullets

Another option is the 7PRC wilson inline seating dies w/6mm stem.. This die is for the arbor press.

Another option is the 7PRC wilson inline seating dies w/6mm stem.. This die is for the arbor press.
So I bought these hornady dies and the 6mm stem and the outside diameter of the 6mm stem isn’t the same as the 7mm stem. Same problem I’ve had with Redding and all the others. It just bounces around in there loose as shit. Seems like there will be concentricity issues

So I bought these hornady dies and the 6mm stem and the outside diameter of the 6mm stem isn’t the same as the 7mm stem. Same problem I’ve had with Redding and all the others. It just bounces around in there loose as shit. Seems like there will be concentricity issues
Hmmm, I used a Hornady match 6gt die with the 22 cal 90atip stem on my 22gt, no issues. That's only dropping 0.019" bullet diameter, you're dropping 0.041". I use my 65saum seater to seat 6mm Saum rounds without issue, RCBS match master dies. I have not disassembled that die to see if the stem is interchangeable as it's part of the micrometer top.

Here's an idea, check and see if you can possibly get a 6SST sliding inner sleeve, as it should fit the 6mm Stem better. These are custom dies from Sherman Wildcat, but Hornady makes them. The 6sst is based upon and slightly shorter improved Saum, so the body of the case will be 0.025 smaller at the shoulder/body junction, but it's still a 30° shoulder.
Screenshot_20240609_125625_Chrome.jpg

I forgot that I also took the outer sleeve out of a Hornady 6mm ARC die, If you don't have a 6mm Hornady die, call them and order the part. 1-800-338-3220

I went the Wilson route for a 6.5/7PRC. Got the 7 PRC seater. Contacted Wilson to get a 6.5 stem and was told it would not work. So I tried seating a 6.5 bullet with a 7MM stem. It connects the bullet at a 7MM ogive on a 6.5MM bullet, I haven’t checked concentricity yet but I think it will be ok.

I don’t know if it will work for a 6MM bullet.

Back