6 Creed vs. 6.5 Creed for Rokslide Spec.?

khuber84

WKR
I don’t handload unfortunately. I’ve got 3 kiddos under age 4, so time is at a premium right now.
I can understand that! Heavy bullet factory ammo from a 16" must be running 2650-2750?

Last edited:
How are Bartlein stainless barrels these days? Been 10+ years since I shot one and they were my go to back in the day.

I used a McGowen on a Tikka 7SAUM that shot really well recently.
I’m using a Bartlein 6CM barrel on my RokStok’d Tikka you’ve seen pics of and it’s been rock solid with Hornady factory 108s and 105s. I’d use them again in a heartbeat. It’s a hammer

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
How many rounds are you going to shoot a year?

I know if it was my one gun I’d be buying a new 6 creed barrel by fall, while a 6.5 creed may last 2
Question wasn’t to me, but I normally order two barrels when I order them for each gun.

What round count are you seeing from 6 Creed barrels on average? I’m just curious is all.

Lawnboi

WKR
Question wasn’t to me, but I normally order two barrels when I order them for each gun.

What round count are you seeing from 6 Creed barrels on average? I’m just curious is all.

My match barrels turn into varmint barrels at around 1200 rounds. I havnt burned a 6 creed at hunting gun rates of fire.

That’s on heavy barrel that gets shot fast. Generally see a number of 1moa targets at the matches I shoot, if the barrel stops doing that it’s over for it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Love your idea and love short barrels.

Get the 223 first then. Shoot it and hunt with it and only go to the 6 or 6.5 once you actually have a hunt in a state that requires it.
A state requirement for minimum diameter wouldn’t really be what determines that decision for me..

My plan this year is to use my .223 for everything but depending on the hunt parameters, shot distances, and elevation I’ll be stepping up to a 6mm or 6.5mm when needed.

I’ll carry a spare .308 bullet in my pocket and throw it at the animal after it dies to meet the requirement.

OP
M
My plan this year is to use my .223 for everything but depending on the hunt parameters, shot distances, and elevation I’ll be stepping up to a 6mm or 6.5mm when needed.
For my own edification, why would elevation play into that decision?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
For my own edification, why would elevation play into that decision?
It’s more so a combination of elevation and temperature and obviously wind factoring in, but as an example…

For easy round number let’s say I want my .223 impact velocity to be at 1,800 FPS for big game animals.

Let’s say I cow elk hunt in Wyoming at 8,000 feet and it’s 0-20 degrees Fahrenheit. My .223 in those conditions is somewhere around a 650 yard gun depending on wind etc.

Let’s say I hunt coues deer in Arizona at 3,000 feet and it’s 40-60 degrees Fahrenheit. My .223 in those conditions is somewhere around a 550 yard gun depending on wind etc.

Those same two hunts using the same impact velocity, but with my .260 would be 825 yards and 725 yards. With more confidence in my wind calls due to more experience.

These are pretty rough numbers sorry but hopefully paints a bit of the story.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Is the recoil encrease of the 6.5 enough to not spot shots that you would've with a 6?
Spotting shots is more about the shooting position, technique, and how “zoomed in” your scope is. Obviously recoil (has a ton to do with overall gun weight as well) goes up with increase in bullet size/weight in most cases.

On a bench with bags my .243 shooting 108 ELDMs and my .260 shooting 129 SSTs there is basically no difference.

It’s when you shoot from real world hunting shots that spotting shots and maintaining proper position/technique gets tricky without practice. The more the gun recoils the more your accuracy is affected and the harder it is for you to see hits and misses.

Is the recoil encrease of the 6.5 enough to not spot shots that you would've with a 6?

I find that I am often able to see my impacts with the 6.5, but not always. Any decrease in the disruption of my sight picture would increase my ability to spot the impact.

I don't rifle hunt a lot, relative to some, but I can't think of an animal that I haven't been able to watch the impact.

atmat

WKR
I don’t have my Rokstock, and I’m faaaaar from one of the better shooters on this site. So take this with a grain of salt.

But I find it much easier to reliably spot shots with a 6creed (108 ELD) than a 6.5cm (140/143 ELD).

Moving up that cartridge size would be a hindrance to me, personally.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Yes, shot back to back with several other stocks and chassis at S2HU. It takes about one class of cartridge off the reticle jump.

MXG is right that zoom range also has an outsized impact on shot spotting.

-J
I can confirm that with thousands of rounds through the Rokstock, generally speaking, it does take about one full cartridge class off the reticle jump. I stated this early on in the big Rokstock thread when I first got the stock a few months ago and started practicing with it. This still holds true for me.

Hnthrdr

WKR
My opinion, is if you already have a reloading setup is to buy 243 tikka with a fast twist and shoot the barrel out in a year or two and replace with 6CM barrel(or even a factory 243 takeoff). If you make the switch you’re only out a sizing die really. The powder and bullets are the same. Factory ammo is plenty avalible for both, but you’ll either have to reload or buy premium ammo(like UM) to get the 108s in a 243.
Been looking into this, I wonder if the 95 grn sst’s shoot well out of your average tikka .243?