6 Creed vs. 6.5 Creed for Rokslide Spec.?

Duh

WKR
For big game my though is the 6,5 blows any 6mm out of the water with better selection of bullet's. My 6.5x06 is on a 700 Rem Action and magazine is long enough I had it chambered so I could seat the 140gr bullet to the junction of the neck and shoulder.
How so? A 6 CM 108 ELDM seems to out run a 6.5 143-147 ELDM but at least 150-200 yards for minimum impact velocity’s. Wind holds seem to be about a wash between the two though.

OP
M

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
For big game my though is the 6,5 blows any 6mm out of the water with better selection of bullet's. My 6.5x06 is on a 700 Rem Action and magazine is long enough I had it chambered so I could seat the 140gr bullet to the junction of the neck and shoulder.
I think the bullet selection is changing, which opens doors if you reload. One thing a 6.5 creed has going for it is shear ammo availabaility. 140gr eld-m match ammo is everywhere

OP
M

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
How many rounds are you going to shoot a year?

I know if it was my one gun I’d be buying a new 6 creed barrel by fall, while a 6.5 creed may last 2
It would depend on factory ammo availability. If I could get my hands on 1000 rounds a year, I would do my best to shoot 1000, which is kinda the clincher of this whole debate, sacrificing performance for ammo availability to form and keep hard skills

It would depend on factory ammo availability. If I could get my hands on 1000 rounds a year, I would do my best to shoot 1000, which is kinda the clincher of this whole debate, sacrificing performance for ammo availability to form and keep hard skills
My opinion, is if you already have a reloading setup is to buy 243 tikka with a fast twist and shoot the barrel out in a year or two and replace with 6CM barrel(or even a factory 243 takeoff). If you make the switch you’re only out a sizing die really. The powder and bullets are the same. Factory ammo is plenty avalible for both, but you’ll either have to reload or buy premium ammo(like UM) to get the 108s in a 243.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d have a hard time doing a 6 then, honestly if you go 6 creed I would immediately have 2 barrels cut if you plan to shoot that volume.

I’m headed back to 6.5 for something that I’m not worried about burning by the end of the year. I’m shooting 10lb ish suppressed setups.

I’ll probably always have a 6 or 22 creed in rotation. They are a very sweet spot for performance especially when paired with a short barrel.

waspocrew

WKR
6 tends to get my vote, although if truly shooting 1000 rounds a year, the 6.5 may be a better option with barrel life. I view barrels as consumables though, but it does add expense.

OP
M

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
If I'm being honest with myself, I would probably only shoot that much if it was a 6.5. Cheap factory loadings are super available whereas fmj garbage 6 creed is tough to find, running up cost significantly

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
6CM with a 20" barrel. I love shooting my .223, but for some reason, the 6CM just feels right. Plus we all know 6.5 CM are gay.

My wife shot this cow at 640 yards with a 6CM. It has a 2200 round through it and has never been cleaned. Just get one and shoot the hell out of it.

8a33b8b3862f3eb4ea94ef4589ed1915.jpg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
If I'm being honest with myself, I would probably only shoot that much if it was a 6.5. Cheap factory loadings are super available whereas fmj garbage 6 creed is tough to find, running up cost significantly

If you are willing to buy and build one, why not a 6 ARC? It’ll work with factory or AICS pattern mags, is the cheapest of the three in factory ammo, has nearly the same wind bracket as the others, has less recoil, and very long barrel life. It’s legitimately probably the best choice for a one gun option for anyone that practices regularly.

OP
M

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
If you are willing to buy and build one, why not a 6 ARC? It’ll work with factory or AICS pattern mags, is the cheapest of the three in factory ammo, has nearly the same wind bracket as the others, has less recoil, and very long barrel life. It’s legitimately probably the best choice for a one gun option for anyone that practices regularly.
I have looked at the howa mini 6 arc barreled actions from brownells, but mixed reports of reliability and trigger issues are making me think twice. Are you talking about building one off of a tikka?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
How are Bartlein stainless barrels these days? Been 10+ years since I shot one and they were my go to back in the day.

I used a McGowen on a Tikka 7SAUM that shot really well recently.

Bartlein have been good generally. I have seen two bad barrels from them- well, not poor shooting barrels, in fact one was the second most precise barrel I’ve had. That was a 243win that started tumbling bullets at just over 400 rounds. The other was also a 6mm that shot out really fast. But, I’ve shot and seen shot a lot of them and they’ve been fine.

McGowen has been good as well. I’m not lucky- I’ve had good barrels from nearly everyone.