6 Creed vs. 6.5 Creed for Rokslide Spec.?

Would I be better of building a 6 creed or buying a 6.5 creedmoor and using the savings to buy more readily available ammo off the shelf at the expense of recoil and performance? Both options would be short barreled, suppressed, RSS's.

khuber84

WKR
Depends on how far you intend to shoot. I personally would put an aftermarket barrel on the Tikka regardless. My reasoning for this: Tikka barrels are notoriously slow and the Tikka 65cm chambers usually have a very long freebore/throat. Both these traits hurt you in a short barrel.

We know that we need to keep good expanding match bullets above 1900-2000 fps for optimal consistency of expansion and terminal performance. 105-112gr 6mm bullets are capable to be driven at 2850-2950 from a 20" barrel. 6.5mm anything with comparable bc is going to be 130-140gr and be flying at a 200fps disadvantage so likely the 6mm will have a larger window of opportunity as it'll hold the high velocity further down range. It'll also have less recoil, and be easier to spot shots.

You could keep it OG Rokslide special in 223 caliber, but opt for the the 22 creed chambering, run 88 eldm at 3100 from a 20" and have even more range, and even less recoil. Personally I like the 6mm, but I've had a few 22cm, and currently a 22gt.

Reactions: Duh
OP
M
22 is appealing, but I'd like to keep it 50 state legal since im a one gun guy. 16" barrel is what I'd be running

Sadler

WKR
Build a 6 creed in a rokstok. I have both my 223AI and 6creed tikkas in a rokstok and they’re fun to shoot and impacts are easy to spot. Honestly I can’t really tell the difference in recoil between the two. Ones shooting 88s the other is shooting 109s

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I think it’s tough to justify rebarreling a Tikka to a 6creed when you could just buy the fast-twist 243.

I say that a someone with a 6creed tikka.
What do we think about setting back a 6cm chamber for 300 bucks after shooting out the factory 243 barrel? I like the longevity of the factory Finnish CHF barrels.

-J

atmat

WKR
What do we think about setting back a 6cm chamber for 300 bucks after shooting out the factory 243 barrel? I like the longevity of the factory Finnish CHF barrels.

-J
I don’t know enough experience to talk on rechambering. But most people won’t shoot out their hunting barrel anyway.

I put very few rounds through my 6creed compared to my 223.

khuber84

WKR
I don’t know enough experience to talk on rechambering. But most people won’t shoot out their hunting barrel anyway.

I put very few rounds through my 6creed compared to my 223.
OP has already stated he wants to be a one gun show. So this thing should get shot a lot. I don't like the 16" barrel on slightly overbore 6mm, but it's his choice. I think 20" is a good balance of handling and still get solid mv without excessive pressure.

OP
M
16 is preferred just due to short overall package being neccesary for steep brushy country, would like to use a stock rather than a chassis w/ a folding stock to keep weight and frankly, cost, down; probably a rokstok if I could get my hands on one. One gun may have been a tad misleading. I would like a 223 trainer at some point. I just don't want to be that guy that buys a new rifle for every hunt he goes on.

khuber84

WKR
16 is preferred just due to short overall package being neccesary for steep brushy country, would like to use a stock rather than a chassis w/ a folding stock to keep weight and frankly, cost, down; probably a rokstok if I could get my hands on one. One gun may have been a tad misleading. I would like a 223 trainer at some point. I just don't want to be that guy that buys a new rifle for every hunt he goes on.
Nothing wrong with being that guy, as long as you shoot em all regularly!

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
Love your idea and love short barrels.

Get the 223 first then. Shoot it and hunt with it and only go to the 6 or 6.5 once you actually have a hunt in a state that requires it.

atmat

WKR
OP has already stated he wants to be a one gun show.
That’s a fair point. I assumed that meant one hunting gun, but I didn’t ask.

One gun may have been a tad misleading. I would like a 223 trainer at some point. I just don't want to be that guy that buys a new rifle for every hunt he goes on.
I now basically have my 223 and my 6creed. Both with 16” barrels, RS1.2s, UM rings, and incoming Rokstocks. I rarely pull other rifles out of the safe now. It’s a nice combination.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Don't forget 1:8 twist 243 Tikkas. I would take that over a 6.5 creed if looking to save money and not rebarrel immediately. From a factory ammo perspective, the 6 creed is a better option than the 243.

Depending on the cost of the barrel, you can about get set up for reloading for the same price and get more from the 243 and have cheaper practice ammo. Compared to lower 48 prices, I save 50 cents a shot reloading 243 vs buying quality 6 creed. $900 to get set up reloading. Figure at least $400 for a barrel, and break even would be at 1000 rounds getting the 243 and reloading set up. It would probably be sooner as I'm assuming you don't have the tools to switch barrels and will have to pay someone to do that, though that will possibly wash with the cost of having the factory barrel cut and threaded.

To be fair, from a reloading perspective the 6 creed is better than the 243 as the brass design is less likely to need trimming.

khuber84

WKR
That’s a fair point. I assumed that meant one hunting gun, but I didn’t ask.

I now basically have my 223 and my 6creed. Both with 16” barrels, RS1.2s, UM rings, and incoming Rokstocks. I rarely pull other rifles out of the safe now. It’s a nice combination.
What performance do you see with handloads from a 16" Tikka 6cm?

Reactions: Duh
For big game my though is the 6,5 blows any 6mm out of the water with better selection of bullet's. My 6.5x06 is on a 700 Rem Action and magazine is long enough I had it chambered so I could seat the 140gr bullet to the junction of the neck and shoulder.