6.5 PRC

I watched a spike soak up 4-5 from a 300 weatherby one time. My buddy runs a 300 run his bull 2 years ago took 3 in the lungs at 450 and you couldn’t tell it was hit he thought he had missed and went down to check and found the bull dead 20 yards inside the timber. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to flip the switch off especially on a elk.

crazy talk. crazy tough animals

brushape

WKR
Energy is a must! Energy is weight plus speed. No energy no penetration. Would you rather get hit with a ping ping ball doing 35mph or a golf ball doing the same speed. You know the ping ping ball is bouncing off. The golf ball could kill you.

Speed is great for accuracy but it’s far from being the factor that determines a bullet’s effectiveness.

What does speed have to do with accuracy ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple. Think about a bow and arrow. The further out the projectile gets the steeper the arc. The fast it drops. That means that for every yard it travels it is dropping more inches than a flatter shooting projectile. So once a particular bullet, or arrow gets further down range the more critical range estimation becomes. If you’re shooting a bow at 15-20 yards or a rifle at 100-200 yards it’s ok to be off a few minutes of angle because it’s still flying relatively flat compared to when it’s running out of gas. Then you better know your exact range and have your MOA down to a science. I guess saying “more accurate” isn’t the best way to describe it. But it’s fairly accurate. Look at a 12 gauge slug gun. Not too accurate past 100 yards. Too slow.

brushape

WKR
Simple. Think about a bow and arrow. The further out the projectile gets the steeper the arc. The fast it drops. That means that for every yard it travels it is dropping more inches than a flatter shooting projectile. So once a particular bullet, or arrow gets further down range the more critical range estimation becomes. If you’re shooting a bow at 15-20 yards or a rifle at 100-200 yards it’s ok to be off a few minutes of angle because it’s still flying relatively flat compared to when it’s running out of gas. Then you better know your exact range and have your MOA down to a science. I guess saying “more accurate” isn’t the best way to describe it. But it’s fairly accurate. Look at a 12 gauge slug gun. Not too accurate past 100 yards. Too slow.

That’s not what makes a rifle accurate by far and I’d say speed has much less of an effect on accuracy than it does on a bullets killing ability

That’s not what makes a rifle accurate by far and I’d say speed has much less of an effect on accuracy than it does on a bullets killing ability

The combination of those two things, speed and weight, is what kills. I guess my point was faster bullets fly flatter so there is more margin for error on range estimation and scope adjustments.

cgasner1

WKR
e082ca6b19f830b14c6cecf583237a12.jpg

485 yards with the 156 Berger he took one step after the shot made it about 15’ from the point of impact

I killed my bull this year at 475 with the 143 eldx factory loads. It did the job but I found myself wanting more stopping power. I love my 6.5 prc for deer sized game but I’ll be switching to a 30 cal for elk.

How many elk hunters use a 6.5 PRC ? If so, what is your experience with it?

Great caliber for Elk. Dropped a cow last November. I used 124g Hammer Hunter bullets moving 3,000 FPS. Devastating.

I killed a small raghorn this year with my 6.5prc. Shot was about 200 yards quartering away pretty sharp. He went about 50 yards and piled up. Bullet broke a rib going in and out then clip the offside scapula and came to rest just under the skin. I was using hand loads with 140gr accubonds just over 3000fps. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it out to 500 yards. If you use a good high BC bullet you can shoot a good bit farther and still have good velocity and energy.

Kevin

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
The combination of those two things, speed and weight, is what kills. I guess my point was faster bullets fly flatter so there is more margin for error on range estimation and scope adjustments.
This doesn’t make any sense. With a flatter trajectory there would be less margin for error in scope adjustments because you don’t have to adjust as much. Less adjustment means less margin for error.

This doesn’t make any sense. With a flatter trajectory there would be less margin for error in scope adjustments because you don’t have to adjust as much. Less adjustment means less margin for error.
Maybe I can explain that better. Down range a flatter flying bullet doesn’t drop as steep. So a miscalculation in range isn’t as critical.

BA33

FNG
There are better choices, but it will do the job if not too far. Practice with whatever you use and be confident in the shot

You're getting 2900fps out of an 18" barrel with factory hornady 147 match? Just want to make sure I understand. If that's the case, what kind of barrel? I know proof barrels to be pretty fast.

Handy barrel length, great velocity, factory ammo, and I assume great accuracy. That's the holy quadrinity in my book.

This is what i'm getting out of my 18" PRC so far.

Gunwerks Clymr 18" suppressed with about 50 rounds down the tube:

Gunwerks ammo: 140 gr berger elite - 2740fps
Hornady Match Factory: 147 gr ELD-M - 2680fps
Hornady Precision Hunter Factory: 143 gr ELD-X - 2664fps

Bluefish

WKR

Faster the bullet the shorter the time of flight. Less time for external influences to have an effect, ie gravity, wind. Thus your bullet is more likely to go where you aimed.
if speed didn’t matter we would all be shooting huge slow bullets and wouldn’t care about BC.

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion, and backed by experience, a 6.5PRC is on the smaller end of the ”good” spectrum. If you’re buying a rifle, or building a rifle for elk, I think there are better choices. But if you are buying a rifle to range from deer to elk, it’s a good choice. I also dont think you can over caliper on elk. My top 2 in safe choices are 7PRC and 300PRC.

I'm in the same boat. I'm building my son and I 6.5 prc rifles. I'm tore mainly between bullets because we live in texas. We hunt texas and Tennessee back home with family where shots can be a 20yds. The bullets I'm looking at are the 124gr hammer hunters, 125gr badlands precision bulldozer 2, barnes lrx, and 140gr accubond

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
What's the consensus from the 2022 season? Just looking at ballistics using Nosler load data with a 150 g Accubond is very impressive with the high BCs of the 6.5's. You also have a much higher SD equivalent to a ~190 grain 30 cal bullet or 170 g 7mm. All for the price of reduced recoil
1681740156240.png

How many elk hunters use a 6.5 PRC ? If so, what is your experience with it?

I am a meat hunter, shoot cow elk and pigs. Very effective. I live in CA thus I load solid copper. Current hunt load is Hammer Hunter 123 gr projectile, CCI BR-2, Lapua Brass, PP 400 MR powder. Little over 3,000 FPS with a 20" proof carbon barrel. Why PP 4000 MR, have not been able to obtain RL 26, and results were better that H4350 and MAGPRO.

I'm in the same boat. I'm building my son and I 6.5 prc rifles. I'm tore mainly between bullets because we live in texas. We hunt texas and Tennessee back home with family where shots can be a 20yds. The bullets I'm looking at are the 124gr hammer hunters, 125gr badlands precision bulldozer 2, barnes lrx, and 140gr accubond
I use 123 GR Hunter Hammers... very effective and accurate.