6.5 PRC

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
@Indian Summer I would love to know what the farthest you've killed an animal with any rifle is? Also how many animals have you killed with an ELDM, TMK or Berger. Not trying to pick an argument but you speak very passionately about this and I'm wondering what your depth of experience is with this specific type of bullet at long range and long range in general.
Thanks.

cgasner1

WKR
I can’t remember off the top of my head but I thought it was around 600 yards for the terminal performance with mine and the 156 Berger I’m pushing it at 2950 fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This was a bull at 600 yds with the 147 this year. We are shooting an 18 inch PRC so running slower than most but the bullet performed really well!

Attachments

• 320473240_1237533523527147_1740632209815135661_n.jpg
    320473240_1237533523527147_1740632209815135661_n.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 205
This was a bull at 600 yds with the 147 this year. We are shooting an 18 inch PRC so running slower than most but the bullet performed really well!
Awesome!
Handloads or factory? If handload care to share the recipe?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Awesome!
Handloads or factory? If handload care to share the recipe?
Factory actually. I am not sure what kind of unicorn dust they are putting in them but I couldn't get the velocities that the factory ammo was hitting. It sounds crazy but we were getting 2900 out of the factory loads. I scratched my head a little but they were all right there. Then I shot at 1300 to confirm and they were right on the money. I assumed I was going to be closer to the 2750 mark with the 18 inch barrel.

slowelk

WKR
Factory actually. I am not sure what kind of unicorn dust they are putting in them but I couldn't get the velocities that the factory ammo was hitting. It sounds crazy but we were getting 2900 out of the factory loads. I scratched my head a little but they were all right there. Then I shot at 1300 to confirm and they were right on the money. I assumed I was going to be closer to the 2750 mark with the 18 inch barrel.

You're getting 2900fps out of an 18" barrel with factory hornady 147 match? Just want to make sure I understand. If that's the case, what kind of barrel? I know proof barrels to be pretty fast.

Handy barrel length, great velocity, factory ammo, and I assume great accuracy. That's the holy quadrinity in my book.

@Indian Summer I would love to know what the farthest you've killed an animal with any rifle is? Also how many animals have you killed with an ELDM, TMK or Berger. Not trying to pick an argument but you speak very passionately about this and I'm wondering what your depth of experience is with this specific type of bullet at long range and long range in general.
Thanks.
A little over 800 yards. I’ve killed elk with Bergers and Acuubonds mostly. I’ve been there to watch a friend make kills to 1250. My opinion isn’t directly related to the 6.5 PRC. It’s relative to any lighter than optimal bullets. And my thoughts aren’t just based on my own kills or long range or short range shots. They’re just based on lots of outfitting and guiding on public land mountains with hunters of all different shooting abilities. I don’t want a bull to go 150 yards. I really don’t want him to go anywhere. And I don’t want to be thinking about a second before I even took the first. If I thought that a person could not possibly shoot something heaver comfortably I’d say fine. But I honestly believe that with the use of a brake if necessary most hunters can and if they can they should.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
So out-of curiosity, has anyone killed an elk at say sub 50yds with an ELDM going 2900fps ish? Just wondering how it would work if you happen to jump a bull up close and had to take a hard quartering to or frontal shot at close range

You're getting 2900fps out of an 18" barrel with factory hornady 147 match? Just want to make sure I understand. If that's the case, what kind of barrel? I know proof barrels to be pretty fast.

Handy barrel length, great velocity, factory ammo, and I assume great accuracy. That's the holy quadrinity in my book.
I'm going to pick up a box given this info.
Have an 18 in proof to try it in.

Tony2000

FNG
I haven't used the eldm's but the eldx's work just fine this was the offside shoulder blade of a cow elk at 55yds

Attachments

• 264AFCCC-5FF0-4205-B655-3724ED719A9B.jpeg
    264AFCCC-5FF0-4205-B655-3724ED719A9B.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 95

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

That is correct. I even checked for anything that would be causing pressure after that (dirty barrel, carbon ring, etc) and it was all good to go. This was a Bartlein 1:7.5 twist 5R barrel. It really made me scratch my head and I would like to try another lot out to see if it was just a quick lot or if that's truly how it is going to perform with the factory ammo.

Great info on here. I just picked up a proof elevation mtr in 6.5prc and really like it. Looking forward to putting some game down with it.

Marble

WKR
So out-of curiosity, has anyone killed an elk at say sub 50yds with an ELDM going 2900fps ish? Just wondering how it would work if you happen to jump a bull up close and had to take a hard quartering to or frontal shot at close range
I haven't with that specific load and caliber. But have with a .308 180 AB @3150 fps is not great. High velocities at short ranges can cause issues. Bugger wound channels but less penetration. I've never lost an animal like that, but have had poor bullet performance compared to hitting them beyond 250-300 yards.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

6.5 PRC is a great all around rifle but if I were concentrating on an ELK Rifle I think the 300 PRC is a better choice.
a friend of mine bought a 300 PRC just for elk. He worked up his loads and dropped a few white tails at 300 just to make sure it was working as it should be. He smoked a huge elk in NM earlier this week. But personally i'm not into big 30 cals. Another friend of mine has a 300RUM and i wasn't a fan of the recoil, it was akin to shooting an 870 super mag with 3.5" buckshot shells. Granted, the RUM had a pencil barrel and no muzzle brake at the time, so I'm sure its much more tame with the new barrel and brake.

I won't say the 6.5 PRC won't work, but the dude jon the youtube channel MuleyFreak posted a 6.5PRC hunt3 years back when he debuted the 6.5 as a hunting round. I feel it really did more discouraging about its effectiveness He shot his elk like 4 or 5 times and it wasn't even flinching on the impacts. I actually thought he was just missing the animal.

Last edited:

cgasner1

WKR
a friend of mine bought a 300 PRC just for elk. He worked up his loads and dropped a few white tails at 300 just to make sure it was working as it should be. He smoked a huge elk in NM earlier this week. But personally i'm not into big 30 cals. Another friend of mine has a 300RUM and i wasn't a fan of the recoil, it was akin to shooting an 870 super mag with 3.5" buckshot shells. Granted, the RUM had a pencil barrel and no muzzle brake at the time, so I'm sure its much more tame with the new barrel and brake.

I won't say the 6.5 PRC won't work, but the dude jon the youtube channel MuleyFreak posted a 6.5PRC hunt3 years back when he debuted the 6.5 as a hunting round. I feel it really did more discouraging about its effectiveness He shot his elk like 4 or 5 times and it wasn't even flinching on the impacts. I actually thought he was just missing the animal.

I watched a spike soak up 4-5 from a 300 weatherby one time. My buddy runs a 300 run his bull 2 years ago took 3 in the lungs at 450 and you couldn’t tell it was hit he thought he had missed and went down to check and found the bull dead 20 yards inside the timber. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to flip the switch off especially on a elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk