6.5 PRC

Taudisio

WKR
I think if you switched a a different bullet i.e. Berger (or similar) you will have just as much frag in the lungs.
There's a new thread up discussing this topic and why most people have switched from a big bore and bonded bullet to a smaller caliber and more fragmentable bullet.

I’m not going to get into a Berger debate (because you will not change my mind) but until they change their “hunting bullet” design, I will never shoot any live animal larger than a squirrel with their bullets.

I did the opposite, got a “soft” bonded bullet (ABLR), with a larger caliber, and I got a foot wide bloodshot wound on both rib cages, and an exit hole. A 210gr bullet going 2900fps did exactly what I expected. I watched a literal stream of blood poor out of my entrance hole and the elk took 3 steps and tipped over in under 10 seconds.

I am about to pick up a T3 in 6.5 PRC for my kid, who is outgrowing his youth stock beginner Savage Axis. Lucky kid.

TheViking

WKR
I’m not going to get into a Berger debate (because you will not change my mind) but until they change their “hunting bullet” design, I will never shoot any live animal larger than a squirrel with their bullets.

I did the opposite, got a “soft” bonded bullet (ABLR), with a larger caliber, and I got a foot wide bloodshot wound on both rib cages, and an exit hole. A 210gr bullet going 2900fps did exactly what I expected. I watched a literal stream of blood poor out of my entrance hole and the elk took 3 steps and tipped over in under 10 seconds.
I'm curious of your experiences with Bergers, if you don't mind sharing. Not here to debate, just like to hear everyones accounts.

Taudisio

WKR
I'm curious of your experiences with Bergers, if you don't mind sharing. Not here to debate, just like to hear everyone’s accounts.
My hunting partner uses them and he has had 100% success with them.
They are the most consistent bullet manufacturer I have seen.
If they come out with a tipped bullet, with some attempt at controlling expansion, I would be the first to try them.
I do not trust how their design now is supposed to function after impact, yawing, tip ripping off-exposing lead, and expanding rapidly. That’s all.

CapnKM

FNG
Great info in here, thanks to all who have contributed. Coming from a 30-06 I was struggling to decide between 6.5 and 7 PRC for my next rifle and this has reassured me that 6.5 can get the job done.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
My 6.5 prc shooting factory 143eldx at 3000fps has 4 elk under its belt. From 150-508 yards. Only one, at 250 yards, took 2 shots. I moved to a 30 nosler this year. If I was planning to only do an elk hunt every few years, I wouldn’t have moved to a larger caliber. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. I got tired of 5+ pounds of ruined shoulder meat, but I felt with the prc I needed to “break em down”. And that worked 100% of the time. I want to shoot for the ribs only, because the elk and deer meat I collect is the only red meat my household has eaten all year, for the last 4 years (not including restaurants of course). I honestly couldn’t tell you the price of beef at the grocery store. So I moved to a much larger, heavier bullet to really frag the lungs. This has worked exactly as I intended. I really think my prc is THE perfect combination for the largest of mule deer/whitetail.
Elk are 2XL/3XL

I honestly don’t see any benefit to the 7prc over a 7mag, and neither hold water to a 28 nosler that fits in the same sized action.
So the 6.5prc was too effective

sveltri

WKR
I'm curious of your experiences with Bergers, if you don't mind sharing. Not here to debate, just like to hear everyones accounts.
My daughter shot her first elk tonight with a .260 REM AI with 130 Berger elite hunters. Bullet did not exit, she went less than 10 and fell dead less than 45 seconds after the shot. I have had nothing but exceptional performance with VLD’s and the 156 EOL, and now the 130 EH. IMG_1440.jpegIMG_2590.jpeg
ENTRANCE

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Has anyone used 140 Berger Classic Hunters on elk out of their 6.5 PRC?

How would you same that round compares to a ELDM?
I have shoot a few deer with the 140 Elite hunters as well as a grizzly this past August. All have dropped where they stood.

TheViking

WKR
I have shoot a few deer with the 140 Elite hunters as well as a grizzly this past August. All have dropped where they stood.

A Grizzly? Damn.

I’m a Berger fan. I shot a cow elk and mule deer this year with the 156s and neither went more than 10-20 yards. I picked up a box of the factory 140 EHs and they shoot stupid good. Might run those instead of the 156s next year. I can’t imagine there will be much of a difference between the two. Similar energy in the mid ranges since the 140s are running a little hotter. I don’t shoot super far, so the extra BC of the 156 isn’t important to me.

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
A Grizzly? Damn.

I’m a Berger fan. I shot a cow elk and mule deer this year with the 156s and neither went more than 10-20 yards. I picked up a box of the factory 140 EHs and they shoot stupid good. Might run those instead of the 156s next year. I can’t imagine there will be much of a difference between the two. Similar energy in the mid ranges since the 140s are running a little hotter. I don’t shoot super far, so the extra BC of the 156 isn’t important to me.
Yes sir. I am a fan of this bullet as it shoots amazing out of my PRC. I am building a new one with a 20" barrel 1.8 twist so I hope it will work as well.

Last edited:

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
N560 will be your friend with the 140EH in that 20"...
Thanks. I currently use H1000 out of my 22" barrel.

I am new to reloading, is N560 temp sensitive? I live in Texas but hunt all over. This new gun I am building is a backpacking/sheep gun.

Thanks. I currently use H1000 out of my 22" barrel.

I am new to reloading, is N560 temp sensitive? I live in Texas but hunt all over. This new gun I am building is a backpacking/sheep gun.
The label says it is temperature stable. I haven't tested it in extremely cold weather. It was 2,948 fps in 60 degree weather and 2,934 fps in 36 degree weather. But used a Labradar on the first and a Garmin Xero on the colder day

CapnKM

FNG
Recently got my 6.5 prc put together and broken in. Been running 147 eldm factory ammo and was thinking of running them for both deer and elk as well. Anyone have a bad experience running this round on those animals? Seems like it should work pretty well and a number of folks have said as much.

CapnKM

FNG
Might need to try a box of eldx as well my next time out, I'd be curious to see the difference between them.

I took 4 whitetails with 130gr terminal ascent. Was consistently drilling 9 and 10 ring at 600 with it on a windy day last weekend, and I’m not a great shot. I’m a big fan.