6.5 PRC

wcarper

FNG
How many elk hunters use a 6.5 PRC ? If so, what is your experience with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy really loves the round for elk/deer. I've never shot it myself but thinking of rebarrelling my 7 mag into 7 PRC if the round takes a good grip on the market.

You might find this info helpful. Most of these posts are from milder guns than the prc, but the bullets overlap significantly.

cgasner1

WKR
Killed a bull moose in ak and a bull elk in Wyoming this year hit them properly at a proper range shouldn’t have any issues

Are you thinking about buying one for your elk rifle? If so what are the reasons this cartridge is on your radar?

OP
W

wcarper

FNG
I currently have a 6.5 PRC that has worked well on whitetail and hogs. I will be hunting Elk for the first time next fall.

Your gun is definitely capable of killing elk. I wouldn’t say it’s optimal. Elk are NOT deer. I’m sure you know how tough a deer can be. Even without experience it’s not hard to imagine how much bigger and downright tougher an elk is. Add to that the fact that they live in steep nasty country where they can disappear in the blink of an eye. So just know your limitations and don’t shoot beyond your abilities or the effective range of your gun and you’ll be fine. In other words make that first shot count! Good luck!

Ok Formadilosis your turn…. Lol

Will preface this with an individual should use the most powerful cartridge that they can consistently shoot well and accurately.

If someone comes to Rokslide and asks if a 308 Win or a 7mm-08, for example, is good for elk, you'll get a thumbs up and told to go kill elk. But if someone asks about a Hornady 6.5 variant, folks' 6.5 Derangement Syndrome kicks in.

nvkevin

FNG
I’ve guided three elk hunters that have used a 6.5 PRC. All three resulted in dead elk. One was a on-shot kill (dropped him in his tracks) the other two bulls each took two shots to kill. Shot placement and closing the distance is key. I wouldn’t recommend shooting an elk farther than 500 yards with this caliber, just my personal preference.

OP
W

wcarper

FNG
I guess it all goes back to shot placement and the proper load.

I guess it all goes back to shot placement and the proper load.

Yes. Bullet construction. And energy. That’s why someone above mentioned a maximum range for you. Bullets lose energy down range so even if you can hit the mark further away that doesn’t mean you’re going to get enough penetration. It’s not only about placement.

Tony2000

FNG
I have one and my cousin has one and so far our experience has been great we've killed 2 elk 1 deer and a moose with a total of 5 bullets on shots ranging from 50 yards to 600
The farthest any of them went was the moose and he only went about 75 yards

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed two bull elk and a buffalo with mine. Plus, a buddy and my mom each killed a bull elk with the same gun. The two elk I killed were DRT, along with the buffalo. First elk was 124 yards and this year's elk was 432 yards. All animals shot with a 140 gr Berger hunting vld.

young7.3

WKR
In on this thread as im still looking for the best factory loads for this rifle. Picked up a tikka in 6.5prc a couple weeks ago.

hiker270

WKR
Don't own a 6.5 PRC, have 270 win that I bought back in 1965. Check out the ballistic charts from Hornady or Federal and you'll see the 6.5 is basically a short action 270 with slightly less recoil and unless you handload not much of an ammo selection. Never considered my 270 the ultimate elk slayer. Sure it'll do the job but for sure there are better options. Most elk hunts are in high altitude -steep mountain terrain and tracking an elk with a marginal hit even a few hundred yards can be difficult. Have hunted with a lot of outfitters and always ask their caliber of choice for elk, more times than not it's 300 mag. Obviously not everyone can deal with the recoil of a 7mag or 300 mag or larger caliber so hunt with what you shoot best but for the sake of a quick kill on a magnificent animal limit shots to distances you can shoot comfortably and your rifle caliber has plenty of kinetic energy.

OP
W

wcarper

FNG
I have killed deer and hog with ELDX and ELDM. Both seem to work well. My rifle seems to shoot the ELDM slightly better.