6.5 PRC vs 270 WSM vs 6.8 Western

So... looking for some advice. I'm not a gun nerd at all but still enjoy rifle hunting and I have been looking for a different cartridge to bridge the gap between a .243 that i've taken many whitetail with and a .300 WM that I rarely shoot. Been considering the 6.5 PRC or .270 WSM. My question is would it be worth waiting to see what this 6.8 Western turns into or keep it between the 6.5 & .270? Ultimate goal being to extend my range out to 500-600yds on game as large as mule deer to as small as antelope for this average joe rifle hunter. Maybe there's another cartridge that I should look at seriously? I've also never shot a rifle in either the 6.5 PRC or .270 WSM and want to factor in recoil into the equation but not make it the ultimate reason for the selection. (I have shot my dad's .270 win.) Ultimately want the overall performance down range (and within 100yds..) on game to be what makes the decision. For what it's worth, rifle will also have the ability to have a suppressor on the end.

Thanks for any advice

If your not a gun nerd, then all 3 of those will do the job equally well with the right bullet slection and shot placement being the biggest key. If you want a new gun right now by a 6.5PRC or 270WSM. If you're okay to wait, the 6.8 Western will be out in select models soon and sounds impressive on paper for what you're describing. Do you reload? If not are you okay risking a caliber that may not have a lot of ammo choices down the road if it flops?

BTW 500-600 yards on live game you better shoot better than the average Joe hunter 😆

OP
D
If your not a gun nerd, then all 3 of those will do the job equally well with the right bullet slection and shot placement being the biggest key. If you want a new gun right now by a 6.5PRC or 270WSM. If you're okay to wait, the 6.8 Western will be out in select models soon and sounds impressive on paper for what you're describing. Do you reload? If not are you okay risking a caliber that may not have a lot of ammo choices down the road if it flops?

BTW 500-600 yards on live game you better shoot better than the average Joe hunter 😆
Thanks and I guess I should be clear - I don't think I've ever had to take a shot past 300 yards on an actual animal. Wanted to get my target range around 500-600yds but don't plan on shooting at critters that far :)

B23

WKR
If you're a reloader I think the nod goes to the 6.5 PRC because of the availability of better brass. Even if you aren't a reloader I still think the nod goes to the 6.5 PRC because there is a wider choice of guns chambered in it and the availability of factory ammo in a wider range of choices is likely to be greater for the PRC than it will be for the other two.

Now, if Lapua would ever start making WSM brass and you're setup to reload a long throated 270 WSM with the 165's or 170's could make for a pretty nice rig but it doesn't seem anyone is to interested in making WSM brass or maybe Winchester has some steep royalty nobody wants to pay, not sure.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
If you decide on the 6.5 PRC I have one listed here.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FLS

WKR
None of the above. I would buy something that shoots cheaper, more plentiful ammo and has less recoil and longer barrel life for long range target shooting. As much as it will hurt some to admit it, a 6.5 Creedmoor is about perfect for what you are wanting to do.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to agree with FLS, none of the above. if you're trying to fill the gap between a .243 and 300wm I'd get a non Magnum cartridge in a 6.5 to .30 caliber. All the ones you listed are way closer to your .300wm then your .243. Any of the popular ones creedmor, 7-08, .270, 30-06 ect will do everything you need and more with a good load. If you want something cool you can look at stuff like a 6.5 sweed .260 rem or 280ai. The .280ai is what I shoot and I'm probably a homer but it would be my 1st choice for 500-600 yards on game especially with a .243 and .300wm already in the safe

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with FLS, none of the above. if you're trying to fill the gap between a .243 and 300wm I'd get a non Magnum cartridge in a 6.5 to .30 caliber. All the ones you listed are way closer to your .300wm then your .243. Any of the popular ones creedmor, 7-08, .270, 30-06 ect will do everything you need and more with a good load. If you want something cool you can look at stuff like a 6.5 sweed .260 rem or 280ai. The .280ai is what I shoot and I'm probably a homer but it would be my 1st choice for 500-600 yards on game especially with a .243 and .300wm already in the safe
Isn't a 280ai even closer to that 300 wm..
I tend to agree with you though, I was gonna say sell the 300 and just get a custom throated 7 saum or wsm

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Isn't a 280ai even closer to that 300 wm..
I tend to agree with you though, I was gonna say sell the 300 and just get a custom throated 7 saum or wsm
It can be somewhat close, but the 300wm is getting a lot more energy at the muzzle with heavier bullets which makes more recoil. lot of guys here like the 160ish grain bullets in their 280ai but I shoot the 143 hammer hunters. Started because I live in commiefornia but I had good luck and will now use them everywhere. I'm getting less recoil then the .300 winmag, with a lot less powder better brass and barrel life and still have the energy/velocity that are good out to the 600 yards he wants on mule deer. A .280ai with 150gr has 16.3lbs of recoil energy compared to the 300wm and a 180gr with 25.9lbs of recoil. With 150s in the 300 you're still look at 23.5lbs without the bc.

gearguywb

WKR
You are on the right track, but don't over-think it.

Stay in the 6.5 family if you want to bridge the gap. You won't be wrong with the CM or PRC. Plenty to read about both...but the bottom line is the PRC will carry more energy at longer ranges. If you are going to stay at 300 (give or take) on medium animals, go with the CM. Brass/ammo is more plentiful and less expensive. More rifle choices. Less recoil, etc.

If you are around KC give me a shout and you can shoot both of mine.

I’d look around at ammo and reloading components before buying a new cartridge. Seen lots of guys get a sweet rifle that they can’t even shoot because ammo is so scarce.

There’s a slick calculator for comparing rounds at Bison. I did a post that shows how some of these stack up. I was going to update it someday to show all the new cartridges out there and what they bring. Inside of typical ranges I’m not sure.

If you’re an average guy that doesn’t like $60 boxes of ammo, the guys above make good points about 6.5 CM... or dare I say it... ‘06 or 308!

BluMtn

WKR
I have a range of calibers for hunting. From 6mm to 45-70. My Elk rifle is/was a 300 RUM. Over the last several years I have gravitated to my 270WSM. I have killed Mule and whitetail deer with it, Bear, and Elk. All out to 615 yards on deer. Recoil is not huge and it kills just as fast as my 300RUM does with a lot less pain.

FLS

WKR
If you are wanting to extend your range you’ll need to shoot a lot. That’s why I suggested the Creedmoor. The others listed will cost you a lot more in recoil ammo and barrel life. The Manbun will kill medium game well at the ranges your looking at. I shot my antelope at 665 with a Sierra 130 grain Game Changer complete penetration with good expansion. It went in back of the ribs and out the front of the offside shoulder. He ran a few yards and went down. I’ve killed multiple deer at similar ranges. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot an elk with it at a reasonable distance. I’ve used the same rifle successfully in several long range matches.
It’s not the flavor of the day right now but it works really well as much as the hater like to deny that fact.

Squincher

WKR
If you are wanting to extend your range you’ll need to shoot a lot. That’s why I suggested the Creedmoor. The others listed will cost you a lot more in recoil ammo and barrel life. The Manbun will kill medium game well at the ranges your looking at. I shot my antelope at 665 with a Sierra 130 grain Game Changer complete penetration with good expansion. It went in back of the ribs and out the front of the offside shoulder. He ran a few yards and went down. I’ve killed multiple deer at similar ranges. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot an elk with it at a reasonable distance. I’ve used the same rifle successfully in several long range matches.
It’s not the flavor of the day right now but it works really well as much as the hater like to deny that fact.

Long, heavy 6.5 bullets were doing a good job on big game for over 100 years in the 6.5x55 before the Creedmore came around.

FLS

WKR
They were, BUT 6.5 x 55 rifles were not common and domestic ammo was loaded pretty weak so somebody didn’t blow their face off with a 100 year old Gustav. So the reality was finding a modern rifle and good ammo in that 100 year old cartridge wasn’t easy. The beauty of the Creedmoor is that good rifles with a proper twist to stabilize those long heavy bullets and match grade ammo showed up at the same time, were available and affordable. All the old gun cranks seem to conveniently forget those facts.

Squincher

WKR
They were, BUT 6.5 x 55 rifles were not common and domestic ammo was loaded pretty weak so somebody didn’t blow their face off with a 100 year old Gustav. So the reality was finding a modern rifle and good ammo in that 100 year old cartridge wasn’t easy. The beauty of the Creedmoor is that good rifles with a proper twist to stabilize those long heavy bullets and match grade ammo showed up at the same time, were available and affordable. All the old gun cranks seem to conveniently forget those facts.

Are you CM guys really so sensitive that you took my post as an attack on the cartridge?

So... looking for some advice. I'm not a gun nerd at all but still enjoy rifle hunting and I have been looking for a different cartridge to bridge the gap between a .243 that i've taken many whitetail with and a .300 WM that I rarely shoot. Been considering the 6.5 PRC or .270 WSM. My question is would it be worth waiting to see what this 6.8 Western turns into or keep it between the 6.5 & .270? Ultimate goal being to extend my range out to 500-600yds on game as large as mule deer to as small as antelope for this average joe rifle hunter. Maybe there's another cartridge that I should look at seriously? I've also never shot a rifle in either the 6.5 PRC or .270 WSM and want to factor in recoil into the equation but not make it the ultimate reason for the selection. (I have shot my dad's .270 win.) Ultimately want the overall performance down range (and within 100yds..) on game to be what makes the decision. For what it's worth, rifle will also have the ability to have a suppressor on the end.

Thanks for any advice
Similar boat. I started with 7 and I am down to 3. I have been looking at 280 AI vs. 270 WSM vs 6.5 PRC. Each has pros/cons. All have fairly light recoil with 6.5 PRC being the lowest. 270 WSM is the flattest of the 3. 280 AI least wind drift. The variable I have the least control over is the wind. For that reason I'm leaning 280 AI but all 3 buck the wind fairly well. For a deer/pronghorn gun the 6.5 PRC seems sweet. For an all around gamer the 280 AI or 270 WSM. I eliminated 6.5 CM first b/c it had the worst ballistics of the 7. 270 WIN eliminated d/t wind drift. 7 mm RM and 7 mm PRC eliminated d/t recoil. FWIW