6.5 PRC Lightweight Backcountry Rifle

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
It's dead simple, I'm happy to talk you through it and send you tools.

-J
I appreciate it. I might have to take you up on it. I'm thinking right now I might just buy an action and start piecing things together as time goes on. I'd love to keep things under $2,500 but I'm not sure if that's very possible.

SDHNTR

WKR
I appreciate it. I might have to take you up on it. I'm thinking right now I might just buy an action and start piecing things together as time goes on. I'd love to keep things under $2,500 but I'm not sure if that's very possible.
Easily possible.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
It's dead simple, I'm happy to talk you through it and send you tools.

-J
Again, I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it. Would you say that the results, whether objective or subjective, are still good when doing it yourself? That'd be another concern for me is getting done with it and it shoots a 2" group.

NSI

WKR
Whether you buy a pre-fit and torque it to 75 ft-lbs or you hand your action and a pre-fit to a smith and have him torque it to 75 ft-lbs, the accuracy which results will have everything to do with which pre-fit you chose and not who did the torquing.

Of course you'll also need to install properly into your stock, and install the optics and optic mounts properly, but that again is all stuff this group and talk you through easily.

See my standard screed on the topic here:

-J

sndmn11

WKR
Again, I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it. Would you say that the results, whether objective or subjective, are still good when doing it yourself? That'd be another concern for me is getting done with it and it shoots a 2" group.

Literally, to put an action in a stock is two bolts.

The barrel onto the action is like one big bolt.

Buy:
-Complete used Tikka or new if a good price
-Borka tool set
-Area 419 rail with TPS rings or direct mount sportsmatch rings/unknown Munitions rings
*****Spend the rest on a reliable scope*****

Don't worry about making it super cool, worry about shooting it well. Any "upgrade" from the above is a want and not a need. You can swap barrels in a few minutes very easily, and the above will be a purchase once sort of thing, at a entry level price.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Literally, to put an action in a stock is two bolts.

The barrel onto the action is like one big bolt.

Buy:
-Complete used Tikka or new if a good price
-Borka tool set
-Area 419 rail with TPS rings or direct mount sportsmatch rings/unknown Munitions rings
*****Spend the rest on a reliable scope*****

Don't worry about making it super cool, worry about shooting it well. Any "upgrade" from the above is a want and not a need. You can swap barrels in a few minutes very easily, and the above will be a purchase once sort of thing, at a entry level price.
The action to the stock isn't a major problem as long as it fits. Also, the trigger group has to be installed.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I'm waffling between so many options. At this point I just want a lightweight gun and I'm starting to consider a 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm looking at 4 options in either 6.5 Creed or PRC.
-- Seekins Havak Element - Love what I'm seeing. I just wish it had an Arca/Pic rail.
-- Building my own. I'm very intimidated by this. There seems like a lot that could go wrong. It would be sweet to put it together like I want. I like the looks of the Gunwerks Climbr sock and the integrated pic/arca rail and QD attachments.
-- Brown Pro Rifles (not sure which)
-- Tikka Superlite and having the option of modifying it. Cuttting the barrel down and possibly switching out the stock.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
My vote is to spend a little more and go Seekins Element in 6.5prc. Currently my goto everything hunting rifle at 7lbs flat when topped w/ Schmidt PMII 10X42.
View attachment 585644
Nice bull! How would you rate the recoil on this? I'm still hesitating on the 6.5 PRC because I want something that's a sweetheart to shoot and I feel like I want something that recoils noticeably less than, say a 30'06.

Also, what bullet are you using to hunt elk with in the 6.5 PRC.?

NSI

WKR
The 6.5 PRC has noticeable recoil, but it is NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE as a 30'06. It's closer to a 6.5 creed shooting hot 147 grain handloads.

That being said, there's probably little reason for you to be shooting a 6.5 PRC over a 6 Creed so long as your hunting grounds allow the 6mm projectile. Per the 6mm UM thread, your 6mm projectile (say, a 108 ELD-M) will kill elk effectively out to the same distance as your 6.5mm PRC. They have similar muzzle velocities and BCs, and the 6mm projectiles seem to kill just as well as the 6.5mm projectiles given the same impact velocity and placement.

-J

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
The 6.5 PRC has noticeable recoil, but it is NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE as a 30'06. It's closer to a 6.5 creed shooting hot 147 grain handloads.

That being said, there's probably little reason for you to be shooting a 6.5 PRC over a 6 Creed so long as your hunting grounds allow the 6mm projectile. Per the 6mm UM thread, your 6mm projectile (say, a 108 ELD-M) will kill elk effectively out to the same distance as your 6.5mm PRC. They have similar muzzle velocities and BCs, and the 6mm projectiles seem to kill just as well as the 6.5mm projectiles given the same impact velocity and placement.

-J
Well I just posted my dilemma on a separate thread. My questions, is the FPS upgrade worth increase recoil of a 6.5 PRC from a 6.5 creedmoor in 21" barrel. It appears I'd only be gaining about 120-ish fps. but increasing recoil by 30%. In a light weight rifle I want shootability to be towards the top of my priority list. I know that depends on the shooter and recoil while shooting at an animal doesn't seem to affect me horribly but it affects all shooters some. What I'm really looking at is the Seekins Element in either cartridge. . a 5.5 lb rifle. . . or i'm just going to abandon ship and get the PH2 in 7 prc and call it my long range rifle. . although that might be a little too lightweight for a long range rifle in that caliber. (according to the Gunwerks guys 10 lbs is the benchmark.)

SDHNTR

WKR
Well I just posted my dilemma on a separate thread. My questions, is the FPS upgrade worth increase recoil of a 6.5 PRC from a 6.5 creedmoor in 21" barrel. It appears I'd only be gaining about 120-ish fps. but increasing recoil by 30%. In a light weight rifle I want shootability to be towards the top of my priority list. I know that depends on the shooter and recoil while shooting at an animal doesn't seem to affect me horribly but it affects all shooters some. What I'm really looking at is the Seekins Element in either cartridge. . a 5.5 lb rifle. . . or i'm just going to abandon ship and get the PH2 in 7 prc and call it my long range rifle. . although that might be a little too lightweight for a long range rifle in that caliber. (according to the Gunwerks guys 10 lbs is the benchmark.)
Your 6.5 creed barrel will last longer too.

NSI

WKR
Either you need the extra 100 yards the PRC will give you until hitting min FPS, or you don't. I'm going to guess you don't. Stick with the creed.

-J

SouthPaw

WKR
Unless you legit shoot animals at 600+ consistently, you should go 6.5cm (or 6cm) for max shootability. Especially if you don't like brakes and want to pass it on to a 9yo kid. The wind bracket for 6.5cm is generally the same as the PRC to 600ish and good bullets will all be within killing velocity even with a 21" barrel.

I went on a hunt with a buddy last fall, we each killed 2 bucks. Him with a 6.5prc (370 & 353 yards), me with a 6.5cm (329 & 442 yards) both shooting the same 135g berger bullet. Same exact result on all four deer, dead within 20 yards of impact and you couldn't tell a difference in lethality.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I couldn't make up my mind on a lightweight rifle so I went for a long range and put the light weight rifle on hold for now. I ended up going with the Seekins PH2 in 7PRC. . . Well I put money down on it for the shop to hold it. It should be showing up in 5 days. I'm not sure if I'll regret the 26" barrel. I've never had a barrel that long. Should be a fun one either way.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I couldn't make up my mind on a lightweight rifle so I went for a long range and put the light weight rifle on hold for now. I ended up going with the Seekins PH2 in 7PRC. . . Well I put money down on it for the shop to hold it. It should be showing up in 5 days. I'm not sure if I'll regret the 26" barrel. I've never had a barrel that long. Should be a fun one either way.
Well... I'm indecisive. I showed up to the dealer and changed my mind back to the Seekins Element in 6.5 PRC. I couldn't help myself.
Whether you buy a pre-fit and torque it to 75 ft-lbs or you hand your action and a pre-fit to a smith and have him torque it to 75 ft-lbs, the accuracy which results will have everything to do with which pre-fit you chose and not who did the torquing.

Of course you'll also need to install properly into your stock, and install the optics and optic mounts properly, but that again is all stuff this group and talk you through easily.

See my standard screed on the topic here:

-J
I'm going to buy an action for a 7 PRC build. I keep seeing the Origin come up as a good option. What is a good action/pre-fit barrel combo? I need something dummy proof that's going to work. I'm not experienced in the least. I've worked on some AR's and put a Timney in my Model 700 and that's about it.

Mostly I need an action. I'm not aiming for weight savings as I want the bare gun to weigh 7.5 to 8.5 pounds for shoot-ability. I'd wait to buy it but I live in Oregon and it might be impossible to buy a gun soon if the new law that's hung up in the courts goes through.

NSI

WKR
Well... I'm indecisive. I showed up to the dealer and changed my mind back to the Seekins Element in 6.5 PRC. I couldn't help myself.

I'm going to buy an action for a 7 PRC build. I keep seeing the Origin come up as a good option. What is a good action/pre-fit barrel combo? I need something dummy proof that's going to work. I'm not experienced in the least. I've worked on some AR's and put a Timney in my Model 700 and that's about it.

Mostly I need an action. I'm not aiming for weight savings as I want the bare gun to weigh 7.5 to 8.5 pounds for shoot-ability. I'd wait to buy it but I live in Oregon and it might be impossible to buy a gun soon if the new law that's hung up in the courts goes through.

The Origin is a fine entry-level r700 clone which lacks some of the features (integral recoil lug, integral rail) that some shooters desire. It's known for having a replaceable bolt head to reduce the cost of cartridge changes, and being as reliable as an r700 can be. It used to be the cheapest option by some margin (exc. Mack Bros), but no longer is.

You may consider stepping sideways to the American Rifle Company Coup De'Grace action which is the same price with several engineering improvements.

If you desire a 60 degree bolt throw in an r700 package, the Terminus offerings are widely lauded.

For the absolute smoothest bolt throw, the actions from Impact and Falkor seem to take the cake but it's splitting hairs.

Any competent smith can spin you up a pre-fit barrel, but there have been good reports here with:
PBB (you'll need to be patient)
PVA (Osprey)
SPR (BugHoles)
Keystone
Proof

-J

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
The Origin is a fine entry-level r700 clone which lacks some of the features (integral recoil lug, integral rail) that some shooters desire. It's known for having a replaceable bolt head to reduce the cost of cartridge changes, and being as reliable as an r700 can be. It used to be the cheapest option by some margin (exc. Mack Bros), but no longer is.

You may consider stepping sideways to the American Rifle Company Coup De'Grace action which is the same price with several engineering improvements.

If you desire a 60 degree bolt throw in an r700 package, the Terminus offerings are widely lauded.

For the absolute smoothest bolt throw, the actions from Impact and Falkor seem to take the cake but it's splitting hairs.

Any competent smith can spin you up a pre-fit barrel, but there have been good reports here with:
PVA (Osprey)
SPR (BugHoles)
Keystone
Proof

-J
This is great! Thank you.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR

PVA (Osprey)
SPR (BugHoles)
Keystone
Proof

-J
Is there a lighter quick change action than the Terminus Zuess?

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk