6.5 PRC Lightweight Backcountry Rifle

Benjblt

WKR
I'm looking to go with a lightweight backcountry rifle in PRC. I would like to be about 6lbs max bare rifle, 20" barrel. I'd prefer a LOP of 13" or less but I can't find any. My question is what's everyone's overall experience with these two rifles and which one would you go with? The Bergara Premier Canyon and the Christensen Arms Mesa FFT (significantly lighter at a published 5.5lbs vs 6.2lbs). My impression is that the Bergara is a safer bet as far as quality goes but I really am motivated by weight. I also thought about the Howa Randy Newberg carbon rifle as it comes in at 6.2lbs but it's got a 24" barrel. I'm also not against buying a gun and putting a custom stock that fits my desired LOP of 12.5-13" but it'd have to come in at $2,000 total and around 6 lbs, maybe 6.2lbs. . . and of course shoot well. Thoughts? I'm open to all constructive feedback. . or alternate suggestions.

Side question: Do you think the 6.5 PRC is here to stay and what common calibers would you compare the recoil too? I was originally considering the 7mm-08 but I like that production rifles are chambered for longer bullets in the PRC's.

Just go Tikka, see my thread on Bergarbage.

You can probably get a super lite and drop that into an XLR chassis if budget allows.

Edit - all I'm seeing are Lites, which are close to 7lbs but are 24" barrel. You can chop it to 20" and probably lose a pound.

And yes, the 6.5PRC is definitely here to stay. Just a faster/flatter 6.5CM with amazing factory cartridges.

Last edited:
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR

You can probably get a super lite and drop that into an XLR chassis if budget allows.

Edit - all I'm seeing are Lites, which are close to 7lbs but are 24" barrel. You can chop it to 20" and probably lose a pound.

And yes, the 6.5PRC is definitely here to stay. Just a faster/flatter 6.5CM with amazing factory cartridges.
How's the recoil on the PRC?

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

I think the prc is here to stay as well. I have the Mesa fft and really like the gun. I had a minor issue with a nick in the brake but it has zero affect on accuracy. It’s a 30 caliber hole so it’s a non issue. I was bummed at first but after shooting it I haven’t given it a second thought. I know there’s plenty of guys that have had issues but it was worth the gamble to me and I’m happy with my choice. Recoil is very minimal.

Weldor

WKR
PRC suppressed is like a 223. Even without a brake its not terrible. with a brake its nothing to worry about.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
I snagged a savage superlite and put it in a stockys CF stock… it is a tack driver and fits most of your descriptions… also put a lumley titanium bolt lever with a CF knob on it once I saw how well it shot and knew Inwas going to stick with it. Setup makes 6.5 Prc a real pussy cat with the anarchy arm’s titanium brake.

The premiers series is garbage? They are as close to custom as you will see in a factory rifle. I have an approach in 6mm and it is one of my favorite rifles. The premiers are nothing like the imports. They are made in Georgia.

The factory Tikka roughtech models are a good option in the 6.5 prc. Also the Seekins havak pro hunter line "PH" is pretty much a custom rifle from the factory. I had a Seekins PH in 308 and was pretty happy with it.

Jimss

WKR
Don't do it! If you read through post after post in regard to the 6.5 PRC you'll notice so many guys questioning if it is big enough for larger, tougher critters. When I pull the trigger I want to make 100% sure my critter is going to the ground with 1 shot. With that said, take a look at the ballistics with the same bullet of the 6.5 vs 300 WSM. I love my 300 WSM and only put one shell in the chamber when I'm hunting....I'm that confident!

I use my 300 WSM in Sako Finnlit and it barely kicks for everything from pronghorn to elk to mtn goat/moose.

Don't do it! If you read through post after post in regard to the 6.5 PRC you'll notice so many guys questioning if it is big enough for larger, tougher critters. When I pull the trigger I want to make 100% sure my critter is going to the ground with 1 shot. With that said, take a look at the ballistics with the same bullet of the 6.5 vs 300 WSM. I love my 300 WSM and only put one shell in the chamber when I'm hunting....I'm that confident!

I use my 300 WSM in Sako Finnlit and it barely kicks for everything from pronghorn to elk to mtn goat/moose.
If the 223 is adequate, your comment makes zero sense. The 6.5 PRC has plenty of horse power to kill elk and moose out past a grand.